Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

bigredbird & churgs meet again

I had the chance recently to catch up with @churgs for another Friday night session. My wife and kids were out for the night and his wife wanted a quiet night in.

I feel he has been a bit overworked lately and needed to loosen up with a night of food, booze and gaming.

He agreed to the food and games but declined the offer of a few drinks throughout the evening. I said 'great' and packed a bottle of whiskey and a couple of glasses anyway and waited for the driver to pick us up.

We headed out to the pub for a quick counter meal and a beer. It is important to be a little bit social and civil toward one another before we start gaming and things deteriorate. I found it a bit suspicious that churgs was sipping gently on his beer like it was a fine wine or a fancy cocktail. I sensed early that he wasn't going to let alcohol affect his gameplay for the evening. I'd already had a head start at home with a couple of beers as the driver was running a bit late and was ready for a few more.

We still hadn't discussed whose game room we would be playing in and decided on the drive home that he would have the home ground advantage.

When I entered the games room I was not surprised to see Pacman running on the screen. This is a favourite game of his and he was very excited when I told him that this had been selected as one of the first games in MGL 31.

It is amazing how quickly he transforms from good mate to a sledging machine. While he was winding up about how I was going to get a flogging tonight I decided to open the whiskey and pour a couple of drinks. He seemed surprised that I went to the trouble of bringing a couple of glasses but I know how he operates and he would have chewed up valuable drinking time while looking for glasses in the bar.

Game time! We started with Pacman as that was already running. It was a fairly straightforward game and the result was as we both expected. Churgs took the first win of the night.

I chose Kangaroo to play next. This game was in the local shop when I was a kid and I only recently rediscovered it. It bought back memories for churgs as well, he said he hadn't played it since the early 80s either.

I performed well on this one and made it through to level four while churgs bumbled around and didn't make it past level one. We were now sitting one one win each.

I was busy pouring a celebration drink when I realised that churgs had taken over the high score entry screen and entered his initials in my number one spot. I found this outrageous and against good gaming etiquette. Churgs insisted it was an honest mistake but the smirk spreading across his face suggested otherwise. I found this to be a very dirty act but I have known churgs for a very long time and know of much dirtier acts he has been involved in that are not suitable for this forum so I decided that is just part of his character and let it go.

I was pretty thirsty so I poured another couple of drinks for us to enjoy while we selected the next game.

We agreed to play Donkey Kong next. I was happy with this as it gave me a bit of practice as this game is also in the MGL at the moment. Churgs was happy with this because, after all of these years, he is still hopeless at this game and used it as an opportunity to watch and learn. He says he simply doesn't like it and just doesn't play it. I got within reach of his high score and was ready to knock CIB off the number one spot on his cab when Kong decided it wasn't to be and threw (what I thought) was an incredible amount of wild barrels my way and killed me off a couple of thousand points short. I didn't get the high score but I did get the win. Two to me, one to churgs.

I felt I was ready to dominate the evening and kept the drinks flowing as an early celebration. In hindsight, this was a huge error on my part.

We fired up Ms. Pacman next. This just felt like a repeat of Pacman to me. I got a real flogging on this game with churgs taking an easy, but noisy, victory. He really has a thing for eating dots. It makes me wonder just how much dot munching he gets up to in his private time.

It is about this stage when I start to wonder if I'm just tired from a big week or if the whiskey is starting to do its job. I do a quick assessment of churgs and he seems to be tracking along just fine. If he's going ok then I must be ok, he is normally the first to fall. I figure it must just be a wave of tiredness that will pass and top our glasses up again.

For some reason that I can't remember I agreed to another dot muncher. This time it was Pac and Pal. I hadn't played this before and it just seemed like Pacman on drugs. I didn't really know what was happening.

For starters there were five enemies instead of the usual four ghosts. One was a chubby green thing that Pacman could walk right through! The fruit was all over the screen - not just A fruit - ALL the fruit! And it was locked up in little boxes! There were keys that unlocked the boxes but then the chubby green thing took the fruit into the little ghost box in the middle. If that wasn't enough to deal with, Pacman then turns blue, doubles in size and starts shooting out Galaga style beams to kill the ghosts! Except it didn't kill the ghosts. They just spun round and round and round in circles and then continued on.

Despite all of this I managed to score enough points to stay just in front of churgs for most of the game. I collected one of the keys for a final 700 points before I lost my last man. I had a lead of a few thousand points and was feeling reasonably confident of the win. Churgs got into trouble quickly on his last man and was forced into a corner. He collected a nearby key just before he died. That key was worth 5000 points! It was the same looking key as I collected for 700 points but the games complete randomness rewarded churgs with enough points to take another win. Churgs 3 - Me 2.

I don't know why I had another drink, I certainly didn't need it before a game of Ladybug.

I sensed that perhaps churgs would struggle a little on this one as he had been calling the cherries strawberries during Pac and Pal and sure enough he didn't seem to recognise the difference between cucumbers and eggplants on Lady Bug. I seemed to think a good strategy would be to stay in a corner and run around the gates like a revolving door. I remember doing it but I can't remember what I was trying to achieve. I also remember hammering away on the fire button but, again, I don't know what I was trying to achieve.

I think the parsley was as far as we got, churgs did anyway, I don't think I got that far. The game was over quickly and churgs took another win.

I didn't really care what we played next as long as we could have a drink first. I was feeling pretty good but probably not in prime condition for crisp, efficient gameplay.

Churgs chose a game that required crisp, efficient gameplay. I think he really got the better of me all evening and he thought he would deliver the final blow by choosing Bank Panic.

We really could have called it bigredbird panic as my game really was a shambles. I probably would have been arrested and hung if this was the real Wild West as I shot almost all civilians that wanted to deposit cash except for the ladies that I just passed a running commentary on for churgs entertainment while the bad guys shot me down. Whoo!

We finished the evening with five wins to churgs and two to me. Churgs dominated all night and was the deserving winner.

My competitive nature was still alive however and I challenged him to a game of Ping Pong. (This wasn't the Thai variety although we have both experienced that too. Me as a spectator and churgs on stage joining in on the fun. That is another story for another time.) We both struggled to maintain a rally of more than two shots and at one stage were both serving a ball at the same time.

We kept no record of the score whatsoever but I consider that I was the winner. This is based purely on the fact that I felt I needed to win something. Churgs didn't seem to disagree so I will take that win.

It was time to head home. Another great night of gaming. I look forward to the next one.

871441045_churgsvictorysalute.jpg.ab2d9062c5fe7c2465111a5e5e1862e1.jpg

We kept no record of the score whatsoever but I consider that I was the winner. This is based purely on the fact that I felt I needed to win something. Churgs didn't seem to disagree so I will take that win.

Only bigredbird can write stories like this ... and with this ending.

Great write up ... :lol

Only bigredbird can write stories like this ... and with this ending.

Great write up ... :lol

Yes 000. There's no doubt @bigredbird is a very talented storyteller. Surprisingly his accounts of our gaming sessions are very accurate, down to the point where am sometimes left scratching my head thinking ah yes I remember that now. I actually look forward to his summaries so I too can have a good laugh and reminisce on the antics we get up to. A great mate that's for sure [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade