Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

It's Astro City Time!

Astro #1 done. Monitor rotated, Raiden Fighters board installed and cabinet given a quick clean and polish with Mr Sheen. It's come up bloody nice. Now to get some artwork made up and also get a repro marquee holder cut out of acrylic.

Rotating 29 inch monitors on my own will be the death of me one day. I really wish this forum didn't upload all portrait photos sideways! It's not sideways on any other service I upload it to.

20170321_065741.thumb.jpg.fd5f637e4e9e6c731bd4659b62846ad4.jpg

Did you get the other one open?

Nah, I've been flat out with work, coming up to end of term so heaps of marking. I wasn't out in the garage last night until 9pm, got that cab in place at 10:30, then went to bed. Tonight is going to be just as busy. Need to drop over Andy's and borrow that torx driver and then take the back panel off. Once I get the back panel off I will at least be able to see what I am dealing with. Also need to drill the locks, that's going to be a holiday job.

One of the two I picked up on Sunday is open, that's the horizontal one, it's working fine, just a bit of monitor arcing. Need to pull the monitor out of that one and give it a thorough clean.

Well I managed to defeat the torx bit using a small flat bladed screwdriver. I got into the back of the final cab and unscrewed the front locks from the inside. The cab with the vertical screen had a 60-in-1 in it (boo!). The 60-in-1 works fine, so I guess that's a bonus. It also had an old Neo Geo board that was not hooked up. The board doesn't boot (double boo!), it just stalls at the green boot screen. The game cart in that board was Super Sidekicks 2 (triple boo!). I tested the cart in the working Neo Geo board in the other cab, and it works. Still, it's a soccer game, so no one cares :)

A lesson in not siting your stuff in kids' rooms :) This is what I just cleaned out of the back of one of the cabs. No idea how they managed to get so much chalk in there.

1285101307_20170321_2026261.thumb.jpg.95476b9cf7033886d105f95a00cd9281.jpg

Edited by namastepat

@raysco came around to replace the power cable on the third Astro this arvo, we also drilled the locks and got into the control panel to remove the top section and get at the monitor. Removing the monitor revealed the dirtiest monitor I have ever seen. The picture does not do it justice. It's like there is dust that is growing on dust and creating a living dust forest, it's disgusting. Won't be switching it on until I give it a damn good clean.

P1020730.thumb.jpg.4136357d0e35f42961844adbcf203361.jpg

Astro #1 done. Monitor rotated, Raiden Fighters board installed and cabinet given a quick clean and polish with Mr Sheen. It's come up bloody nice. Now to get some artwork made up and also get a repro marquee holder cut out of acrylic.

Rotating 29 inch monitors on my own will be the death of me one day. I really wish this forum didn't upload all portrait photos sideways! It's not sideways on any other service I upload it to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107592[/ATTACH]

Lesson learnt once, I always get someone to help me rotate monitor , looks great! What a great game choice too

Lesson learnt once, I always get someone to help me rotate monitor , looks great! What a great game choice too

Rotating the monitor in my Exceleena is far easier, as it has a pin to mount the monitor in the back of the cabinet. You just lift the monitor, turn it and then rest it back into the pin mount. The Astro City has no rotate mechanism at all, it's just lift, turn and sit back on the bolts. It's backbreaking when you're on your own and leaning over the control panel with a monitor in your hands. Sitting it back onto those four bolts is certainly not easy.

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Each night I have been chipping away at the three Astro City cabinets. My garage is tiny, so I was constantly moving shit around to get the space to work on them. I stripped every cabinet and cleaned inside and out thoroughly. They were filled with decades of gunk and filth. All 3 chassis were removed and sent off to Joey for servicing. 2 of the 3 cabs were working, but exhibiting chassis issues, so I just thought stuff it, I'll shell out to get them all properly serviced by the master. Still waiting on a few things like sticks and buttons to finish them all off, but they are all running with games in each. Clearly I need to replace the fluros in the last 2 Astros in the lineup, I will grab some new tubes tomorrow.

I am like a kid in a candy store (pun totally intended). I managed to shuffle the garage and will be moving some cocktails into storage to make room for all the candy :) I always used to refer to my candy cab lineup as Little Tokyo. Little Tokyo just got a lot bigger :)

P1020734.thumb.jpg.0388a0af2100ee08be52331f415404d8.jpg

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Each night I have been chipping away at the three Astro City cabinets. My garage is tiny, so I was constantly moving shit around to get the space to work on them. I stripped every cabinet and cleaned inside and out thoroughly. They were filled with decades of gunk and filth. All 3 chassis were removed and sent off to Joey for servicing. 2 of the 3 cabs were working, but exhibiting chassis issues, so I just thought stuff it, I'll shell out to get them all properly serviced by the master. Still waiting on a few things like sticks and buttons to finish them all off, but they are all running with games in each. Clearly I need to replace the fluros in the last 2 Astros in the lineup, I will grab some new tubes tomorrow.

I am like a kid in a candy store (pun totally intended). I managed to shuffle the garage and will be moving some cocktails into storage to make room for all the candy :) I always used to refer to my candy cab lineup as Little Tokyo. Little Tokyo just got a lot bigger :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108075[/ATTACH]

I like how collections evolve over time , cabs that you think will never leave the line up end up getting bumped. My "storage" is family and friends places, never seem to have a problem finding someone that is happy to look after a cab.

I like how collections evolve over time , cabs that you think will never leave the line up end up getting bumped. My "storage" is family and friends places, never seem to have a problem finding someone that is happy to look after a cab.

Yep, I have three cocktail cabs that never get any play. I am going to take at least 2 of them into my classroom at work to start a lunchtime retro games club. It's a form of storage where I get to keep my cabinets, play them with my students and free up room in the garage, win-win :)