Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

ColorDMD LCD v LED

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on your personal preference. My Metallica is LCD, and I love the higher resolution. Check out a few YouTube clips and compare hiRes to DotsXL for the graphics difference. Apparently LED 'pops' more, which I don't dispute would be better in other machines, but I would get LCD any day for Metallica. Edited by djc

For me it's truly an 'era' thing. Having seen both I chose an LCD for my Metallica and an LED for my Guns'n'Roses and I couldn't be happier. I also couldn't imagine these machines vice versa. Unless you are truly artistically challenged I don't think you could make a wrong choice if you've done your homework... BUT if you are aware that you struggle in the 'styling department' then ask an artistic pinball friend :)

LCD can be a bit more versatile as you can scale back the res to go from high res images to dot matrix style. I have an LCD in my Baywatch but it is set to look like a dot matrix and looks the part for that era game. If you put the LCD in you could try both options and see what looks better to you.[emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure whether brighter is always better. For a game such as TSPP, I can see the LED panel working well. Not so well for BDK or TWD, where I think an LCD panel suits the theme better.

Do the LED panels allow the brightness to be adjusted? (The LCD ones don't.)

Cheers,

Michi.

I've never played with the settings but the LCD has contrast and brightness settings

Ah, of course, you are right. I saw the settings when I installed the DMD and never changed them because there was no need. Then I completely forgot about the feature :)

My ColorDMD is on a POTC and it looks "just right", not too bright, not too dim.

Michi.

I can't remember but is it LCD or LED that when, say an onlooker, is looking at the display at say a 45 degree angle it becomes difficult to see - even blackish.

I've experienced the same thing on some cocktail cabinet games using "that" form of display.

I'm guessing its LCD that has that problem?. Anyone ever experienced any of this?? and no its not a full moon and I haven't been into the bevvy's:laugh:

Edited by Railways

I can't remember but is it LCD or LED that when, say an onlooker, is looking at the display at say a 45 degree angle it becomes difficult to see - even blackish.

I've experienced the same thing on some cocktail cabinet games using "that" form of display.

I'm guessing its LCD that has that problem?. Anyone ever experienced any of this?? and no its not a full moon and I haven't into the bevvy's:laugh:

Never had that issue with the LCD in my BW. Looks good from all angles [emoji2]

I'm guessing its LCD that has that problem?. Anyone ever experienced any of this?? and no its not a full moon and I haven't into the bevvy's:laugh:

LCD is the one that looks crap on an angle. LED is not affected at all. Guess it doesn't matter when you're playing. Plus LED is better in brighter light.

If I could id change all my LCD's over to LED.

Thanks for all of the input. So overall it seems like it can come down to the game it is for that may determine what might suit best.

Any thoughts on MM? Anyone compared LCD and LED for this game? Is the LCD good for MM?

What screen came with the MM remake LCD or LED?

LCD is the one that looks crap on an angle.

What sort of LCD is that with? I have a ColorDMD one, and I'm getting very good visibility of the display, even at quite acute angles. No problems with viewing at all.

Cheers,

Michi.

Thanks for all of the input. So overall it seems like it can come down to the game it is for that may determine what might suit best.

Any thoughts on MM? Anyone compared LCD and LED for this game? Is the LCD good for MM?

What screen came with the MM remake LCD or LED?

Color DMD in MM looks really good. I run mine in the hi dots mode. Have played others set to the hi res mode and it's just as good.

The screen in the re make was made just for the remake and not from color DMD.

I have to say the MMR is one of the best Screens I've seen.

Sooo, I'm gathering then there is no Oz distributor and these can only be bought from Colordmd?

That's right. There are a few European distributors, but best to buy direct from ColorDMD.

What machine is this going in Pete?

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

[emoji41] And it's coming Sunday with Prowler hence I can't go to Jacks party. A game I had years ago and I've missed ever since-it's not a Stern lol have a guess Brett.