Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Flipper buttons on arcade dont work :(

gadzooks

Question

Im absolutely desperate for some help here!!!!

Ive have been to several forums and nobody can suggest anything for me......if this doesnt work I have no idea as to what Im going to do :(

I spoke to Craig from Oz Stick who was really helpful and full of knowledge but he highly recommended that I should post something up here.....so here goes nothing!

I have an arcade cabinet with the following set up...you can see the pic below.

Two player controls each with 8 buttons

On each side of the cabinet I have flipper buttons for pinball games

MAME

Pinball FX2

Pinball Arcade CDROM version

Stella

I use XPadder for the control set up

Im pretty sure the controllers are called Xin-Mo Dual Arcade

Now the problem.....

All the buttons work for MAME and on Stellar

None of the buttons work for FX2 or Pinball Arcade

I have tested the buttons through XPadder and I can see that the left flipper button is acting as the Right Direction for Player 1....odd!

I have opened Notepad and tried pushing all of the buttons to see if anything come up...but nothing.

XPadder also recognizes the right Flipper button but it also acts as another button on the Player 2 controller button set up....odd!

Everything was working fine one day and then the next day...all of this has started up! I have made no changes, no uploads....NOTHING!

I have tried going into the setting of each of the Pinball programs, but every time I try to designate the flipper buttons to the correct buttons....they are just not recognized!

I cant see that there are any issues with any wires coming loose from underneath!...but I may be wrong.

I have tried to explain to the bloke who sold it to me and all he says is to look on the net for some answers......which I cant find any!

I live in Taylors Lakes and I have tried finding someone who can come around to my house on a couple of forums but no replies :(

I truly believe that there is an issue with XPadder talking to these programs but I cant find anyone who knows how its works.

Please if there is anyone who can suggest anything Im all ears!

Even better..... if you are in Melbourne I can shout you a slab of anything or cashola if you can come around one day and check it out.

Im a noob with the workings of these things but Im here to learn as well :)

I sure hope someone can help me out

Cheers!

gadzooks

mycabinet.jpg

4 answers to this question

Do the flippers work with the player inputs you mentioned, if they do its prob a wiring issue with the actual flipper buttons. If they dont its prob software which is strange because it was working, could be in pinball software, maybe someone hit a heap of buttons at once and did something. Sorry not much help.

Cheers

Some programs ignore high-level or converted inputs. For example, you can't use Joytokey in MAME, because MAME only recognises low-level inputs. I reckon Xpadder will work exactly the same way. So it might not talk to the VP pinball programs in the right way; as in, they might not like the high-level inputs. (You bind a joystick button to a deliver a keystroke in xpadder, and that key comes up nicely in notepad, but MAME will not see it. I think the same might go for joystick-to-joystick remapping too?) Or the programs might be seeing both the joystick input & the Xpadder input, and not understand how you want them to handle things - which is not their job, obviously. So it might be some sort of input clash if you have xpadder running and the program is getting too many inputs? There may be a way to set which device you want to see inputs for, rather than just setting the inputs?

This is all speculation. I don't know VP and I've never worked with the Xin Mo, though I believe @pocketscience is correct in calling it a joystick encoder, not a keyboard encoder (or you wouldn't need Xpadder?) They're cheap as far as encoders go, so it's possible yours has gone haywire. Test it in windows with Xpadder off, control-panel, devices and printers, right click the Xin Mo, game controller settings, then right click it again from the list. You don't want to configure it you want to test it. If some of the inputs are doubling up, remove the wiring and just short the terminals. If some are still doubling up, the board is stuffed.

EDIT: If the problem is the the VP programs are seeing too many inputs due to Xpadder, can you associate Xpadder profiles with applications, like you can in Joytokey? That would work to effectively turn off Xpadder while VP was running...?

Edited by buttersoft