Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Aquired a VP Cab

Ok, got myse,f a can running future pinball with punball x, i dont like it, seems clunky to me. I fire up and old pc and loaded visual pinball with vp9 and a few classics and loved it.

My plan is to do the same with this one, its got 88 tables with a few i like but they chugg. My plan is.

Get latest version of vp, i think i need the cabinet one ?

Setup 1 table and get backglass going and dmd somehow. Current dmd display is to high.

If i can get one going i should be right to get all going. There are a heap of various files on system already, plus programs etc.

What would you guys do.

Cheers

Personally I'd leave FP until later or not at all.

Firstly can you tell us what specs you have on your PC. You'll struggle with VP 10 with an under powered video card. I havent tested the latest VP10 games with my old GTX 550ti but that run all VP9 games well.

If you want to back up the files do so and start from scratch. Download the AIO VP installer....makes life so much easier. http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/vpx-installer-10-1-0/

A fresh install of your OS is nice but not necessary (what OS you running?)

Once you have downloaded and installed the AIO youre ready to copy over your ROM's, artwork etc.

Nice, I didn't up bid you too much. I was worried the play field might have been average considering the age, the computer definately needed a format/upgrade. Happy with it otherwise apart from your above post?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Edited by redferatu

Well done @steptoe. What spec is your PC? You may need to look at an upgrade depending on what you want to run, but there's no hard and fast line as to hwat spec works and what doesn't.

I'm experimenting a bit with VP10 tables at the moment and finding that many tables work on a moderately specced PC but others suffer from micro-stutter regardless of what I throw at them!

If this is your first look into virtual pinball, IMO you may be best to start from square one. There's a lot of software stuff to consider and you would learn more about doing it the RIGHT way rather than trying to sort out how someone else has done it.

If you are looking to go with a "real" DMD then drop me a line as I can hook you up with a PIN2DMD unit.:cool:

Seriously thinking about saving everything and doing a new install and start from scratch.

Can someone tell me what programs i need first, its got wifi which is cool, maybe some fx2 will get a run.

Cheers guys.

P.s, ill edit first post when i start to show how i go about it, might be usefull to someone.

Video geforce gtx 670 4gig

Windows 8

Directx 11

Core i5-4430 cpu 3gig

8gig ram

64bit

The only change I'd make to that would be upgrade the video card to a GeForce GTX 750Ti that will help a little with the rendering and will only set you back about $150.

Thant's a very good spec PC and should run pretty much everything very nicely, including some of the "hungrier" VPX tables.

First off, get the VP Installer mentioned by @acejas as it will install pretty much everything you need to run all different versions of Visual Pinball. It practically cooks your breakfast and will make you coffee exactly how you like it....... The installer is available from several sources, my vote is to get it from here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11573

PinballX seems to be the favoured frontend and can be had from the GameEx site.

For other resources, you'll find yourself orbiting VP Forums, VP Universe, Pinball Nirvana, VPinball.com, Rogue Pinball and possibly a few other places.

Search the Virtual Pinball section of AA and you'll find a couple of torrents containing a vast number of tables, AND their associated files, pretty much ready to rock and roll.

If you choose to go it yourself and truly start from scratch you have a VERY long road ahead working out what is involved and simply compiling all the elements required to get each table running. It's not just a case of downloading a few files, dropping them into the required DIRs then rinse and repeat for each subsequent table. Quite often there is a lot more required and from time to time you'll find yourself naked, hopping on one leg and trying to jump backwards through flaming hoops whilst blindfolded trying to appease the Virtual Pinball gods.....:013:

So, yeah, check out the torrents!

- - - Updated - - -

The only change I'd make to that would be upgrade the video card to a GeForce GTX 750Ti that will help a little with the rendering and will only set you back about $150.

I would have thought the GTX670 is a higher spec than the GTX750Ti so I'd suggest he sticks with it. Here's a couple of comparisons (which I know should be taken with a lake of salt):

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-670

http://www.hwcompare.com/17306/geforce-gtx-750-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-670/

Interestingly, I've been toying around with a PC running an i5-750 with 8Gb of DDR3 and, using VP10 Rolling Stones, I've seen no noticeable difference in performance between running a GTX650, GTX560ti, GTX750ti or a Radeon R7-240! Regardless of what I do with the table file, VPX settings or video card settings I cannot get rid of the really bad micro stutter. I'll leave it at that as i don't want to derail this thread!

^^^ Ozstick as always, great advice, i would just add to keep it simple to start with.

1. Ditch Future Pinball, it's rubbish :)

2. Do a minimal install of just all the stuff you need to get going, and test a few tables in VP9, you'll have no issues with that spec.

3. Test out a couple VP10 tables and see how your PC runs. If all good, grab the pack i Uploaded on my onedrive which contains all the better VP10 tables and roms/scripts.

I'd leave all the front end stuff until you are setup and have tables working. Adding the front end from the start will only make the job a lot slower and harder, just run tables out of windows manually to start with. Later on grab Brad's pack with all the front end media.

You'll probably learn much more doing it manually from scratch, it's a bit of a slog to begin with, but you will know the hows and whys but have some Panadol handy :)

VP Forums has a pretty good guide. Or I think, did @acejas write a guide at some stage and put it online ??

Here's the VPF guide: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=1 + look under the 'getting started' and 'tutorials' links.

When it all drives you nuts again, just post here !

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, I've been toying around with a PC running an i5-750 with 8Gb of DDR3 and, using VP10 Rolling Stones, I've seen no noticeable difference in performance between running a GTX650, GTX560ti, GTX750ti or a Radeon R7-240! Regardless of what I do with the table file, VPX settings or video card settings I cannot get rid of the really bad micro stutter. I'll leave it at that as i don't want to derail this thread!

@MrBungle has a 7-series card and has no issues with Vp10 - I can't remember what it is though. Maybe he could chime in ? Your CPU should be easily enough tho.

Thanks guys, ill get the installer and have a play, ill see what i can get going. Stay tuned.

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

@OzStick theres two files for the installer, do i just pick the biggest ?

Cheers

Oh yeah, i suppose a dmd adds another diamention to a machine ?

Update.

The cab was using future pinball and I wanted Virtual Pinball, I download @Jed table pack ready to go. The biggest problem I encountered first was that I had no idea what I was doing, then along came @acejas.

What can I say, Ace suggested I download teamviewer onto the pin so he could have a look, so he dialled in and found a mess, approx. 25hrs later he had all the table up and running and ready for me to config the pinballx side of things. I stood and watched most of the time but he even had a crack while I was at work.

Big thanks to Acejas for the tremendous help, hopefully I'll have an opportunity one day to return the favour some how. Big thanks to Aussie Arcade for providing an opportunity to meet people like Acejas and all those that help, i'll donating to says thanks as well.

Cheers

P.S: Now the fun really begins for me, I'm not to unfamiliar with frontends so here we go.

Your specs are better than mine mate and i have running future pinball, visual pinball, pinball fx2, pinball arcade and pro pinball but the game changer for me is Visual pinball 10 thats the way to go as the flipper physics are spot on and they look great and run perfect on my cab so your specs should have no problem. I also have most feedback items installed bumpers, flippers, knocker, shaker, movement etc and all works great. I cant play the rest as no feeling work other than visual pinbal 10. If i started again thats all i would be installing VPX with all the feedback items and you will be in heaven!! Edited by Snjspiteri

Update.

The cab was using future pinball and I wanted Virtual Pinball, I download @Jed table pack ready to go. The biggest problem I encountered first was that I had no idea what I was doing, then along came @acejas.

What can I say, Ace suggested I download teamviewer onto the pin so he could have a look, so he dialled in and found a mess, approx. 25hrs later he had all the table up and running and ready for me to config the pinballx side of things. I stood and watched most of the time but he even had a crack while I was at work.

Big thanks to Acejas for the tremendous help, hopefully I'll have an opportunity one day to return the favour some how. Big thanks to Aussie Arcade for providing an opportunity to meet people like Acejas and all those that help, i'll donating to says thanks as well.

Cheers

P.S: Now the fun really begins for me, I'm not to unfamiliar with frontends so here we go.

Hey mate...thanks for the kudos and the beers and bourbon :).

SCREENRES.TXT. was a biatch. My original screen setup my VP saw the monitors as DISPLAY 1 ,4,5. Yours was correct with Display 1,2,3 but windows was showing PF 2, BG 1 DMD 3. I hadnt come across that before. (Always have Windows display as PF,BG,DMD - regardless of display number and I prefer all displays inline at the top when in Windows Display settings)

SO in your setup the DMD DID NOT start from BG x=0 but PF=0. So instead of being x=1920, it was actually x=3840. The AIO actually detected this as well.

For some reason the old install of pinballX had taken over the DMD and wasnt displaying because it had control and taken over.

B2S - make sure DMD IS NOT hidden LOL

AIO does not have Stern ROMS and you have to get the correct VPMAME

I might do a mini writeup - or finish the one I started.

Pinball X shouldnt be to hard to do...Ive setup all the parameters. I might give you a holla during the week

cheers

The other issue was Win8 - installed classic shell - I forgot how bad Win 8 was - youre now on Win8.1

Wifi didnt help LOL - dropping out.

Make sure to install into root of C: drive (the AIO 10.1 now does this). Need to also unblock that EXE.

Hey mate...thanks for the kudos and the beers and bourbon :).

SCREENRES.TXT. was a biatch. My original screen setup my VP saw the monitors as DISPLAY 1 ,4,5. Yours was correct with Display 1,2,3 but windows was showing PF 2, BG 1 DMD 3. I hadnt come across that before. (Always have Windows display as PF,BG,DMD - regardless of display number and I prefer all displays inline at the top when in Windows Display settings)

SO in your setup the DMD DID NOT start from BG x=0 but PF=0. So instead of being x=1920, it was actually x=3840. The AIO actually detected this as well.

For some reason the old install of pinballX had taken over the DMD and wasnt displaying because it had control and taken over.

B2S - make sure DMD IS NOT hidden LOL

AIO does not have Stern ROMS and you have to get the correct VPMAME

I might do a mini writeup - or finish the one I started.

Pinball X shouldnt be to hard to do...Ive setup all the parameters. I might give you a holla during the week

cheers

The other issue was Win8 - installed classic shell - I forgot how bad Win 8 was - youre now on Win8.1

Wifi didnt help LOL - dropping out.

Make sure to install into root of C: drive (the AIO 10.1 now does this). Need to also unblock that EXE.

Thanks Ace, I'll make contact Wednesday or Thursday. cheers

Thanks @acejas again, just had a blast playing tommy, i ended up enabling alsias thingy for shutter, 5 ball multi was awesome, no laf whatsoever, cant wait to setup pinballx now, it appears to be tricky indeed. Anyway awesome fun, love to get a tommy one day for sure.