Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Slimline Defender-esque upright

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread will go stale for a while. Tools and bits and bobs being acquired before the real work starts.

Decided that I will definitely go full size though, no longer a bartop, but a slimline full size Mame cab, dropped the Pi, and going for a core I7 machine .... happen to have a few slimline HP's in work that are not required anymore :)

Not really an update for the works, but I managed to get most of the tools I need (and more) :

- Compound Mitre Saw

- Circular Saw

- Jigsaw

- Router

- Sander

- Drill Press

Awaiting delivery of some Forstner Bits for the button holes, and the actual buttons and encoders.

Need to figure out T-Molding and an appropriate slot cutter as well - oh and I best buy some MDF as well at some point ......

• 3 weeks later...

So most of the bits and pieces have now arrived and my plans are pretty much set, reworked my slimline design to make it easier to make - Cab dimensions are 1800 x 600 x 450 which means I can use easy sourced MDF from Bunnings

woodcuts.jpg.e5d74e1afe50b6c983f8ef4f45f233f5.jpg

Need to pickup a 3mm sheet of acrylic to cover the bezel/monitor, and then figure out the finish.

ahh thats even better then :)

As I dont have access to a Brad nailer/air compressor I will be using glue and clamping the pieces in place so it will take longer to build, I dont like the idea of screwing a load of things into MDF really.

I do keep on looking around for a nail gun package but cannot justify the cost really, seems to be no cheap entry available here.

Screwing and counter sinking takes a few minutes if you're handy. Much stronger than gluing alone and last thing you want is to move it one day and it falls apart.

Glue, clamp, drill, counter sink, then screw. Do whatever you can reach all in one go.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

As I dont have access to a Brad nailer/air compressor I will be using glue and clamping the pieces in place so it will take longer to build, I dont like the idea of screwing a load of things into MDF really.

Have you considered picking up some square edging, then glue & drill (or nail) from the inside? This is what I did with the bartop I built for my kids. In fact I pretty much do this with any enclosure I make out of MDF.

Doing this makes the enclosure VERY strong.

11.jpg.f166d0c61b3f7212325f25a93f956209.jpg

Yeah I have been thinking of that cheers for the pic as well :) how much did you screw into the sheet of MDF?

Just get screws (or nails) that are just shy of going through the other side, by a couple mm.

That particular build of mine I used 10mm x 10mm edging with 12mm MDF, so use something like 18-20mm nails. If on a bigger scale, adjust accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I started this on Monday, eventually got one side panel cut to the correct dimensions and shape so traced out the opposite panel and cut it out roughly with the jigsaw.

Fixed the two together and went around it with the router and flush cut bit, halfway through the bearing must have come off and I ended up cutting into both boards ... sigh

Anyway lessons learned so far:

1. Dont buy cheap bits from ebay

2. Wood is cheap to replace

3. Think about each of the cuts you are making beforehand and how to imrpove them before having to make the decision halfway through the cut

Have new bits from Bunnings now so will take abother crack at this at the weekend.

had a good day today, figured out I was better with the router than the circular saw so straightened my cuts using a few clamps and a long spirit level and then used that one as the template to finish the other.

IMG_2978.thumb.JPG.e96db0d96264b2f075504b78993fda3a.JPG

Worked out where I would need to put cleats to affix the panels (also to note, outputting a drawing from Fusion360 cant be done properly) realised I was short of wood to finish this so had a quick trip to Bunnings to get more.

IMG_0763.thumb.JPG.dcb77f7a1d2da75a9be1d2c292678ad2.JPG

More router work to cut the slots for the t-molding.

IMG_1668.thumb.JPG.a339d13b4e7d294c1276a86af456c46c.JPG

Cut some cleats and did both sides at the same time, brad nails and glue.

IMG_5198.thumb.JPG.2a89aa01c8dd50a39d8e7c28f52f0a28.JPG

What did I learn today ..

1. pay attention to the nails in the nail gun - the last thing I nailed down had no nails in as I had ran out.

2. wasted money buying a compound mitre saw, not needed for this build

• 2 weeks later...

Other things have kept me busy but had a few hours today to make some more progress ...

Hopefully can spend a few more hours on it over the weekend.

IMG_3621.thumb.jpg.48a8a8ae074238445938e086491aa02e.jpg

Edited by Xxalxx

Looks good, I'm used to such deeper cabs though so it just seems so unstable to me. I just fit a cased computer tower in my mame cabinet but it would be a waste of space if you're running a pi.