Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Vpx - nudge - pinscape

redferatu

Question

Hey, got a problem where nudge will not work in vpx but works in dxview and in vp9 on a zero slope table. I have the same settings in both vpx and vp9 so I'm not really sure what to do. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

21 answers to this question

All the key assignments look the same between those two images, except these ones for nudging:

nudge.thumb.jpg.812f9913331393ff4bd73f24beb94bc8.jpg

And in your second image (which I'm thinking is VPX? on the right hand side on this cropped version) the same key looks to be assigned to both left and right nudge - highlighted in yellow - so I presume VPX won't be able to distinguish between nudges from either side...

Thanks @Arsey, I had changed them to be the same. Key fired nudge is working fine even like this, trying to get the pinscape accelerometer working in vpx.

I read a fix which said to unassign them, then said to try them with the same. It was the only variation tried and I left it as the same. This was one of the last things I tried, previously being assigned to s and d.

I'll give it another go with different keys but any other ideas in the meantime would be great. Thanks

Can't get this thing to work. Lots of posts about this not working for others. Considering getting Mercury switches and be done with it. Any ideas?

If you pick up the board the encoder is mounted on and shake the *^&$^% out of it, do you see any reaction on VPX tables? I have it set up on a test bench of sorts which is on wheels and is a little rickety, but I am still able to get nudging to work with VPX tables.

I've not heard reports from anyone else who has purchased one for the Pinscape encoders from me of this issue, so it sounds like I'd better look into it a bit further!

Yeah tried that, nothing in vpx. Just can't get the thing to register in vpx no matter the settings I try. The plunger uses the z axis fine btw.

I have also reverted the settings to default in pinscape and tried from scratch. I have a backup of the fresh install, I'll try that and see if it works. Maybe I have changed something inadvertantly somewhere else that effects this.

It's doing my head in.

Product is working fine in DIview and vp9.

Thanks @OzStick

It's on 25 max for both and 50% with 5 dead zone. seems to be playable, but will need tuning. Thanks for the help.

Ah good. Once you're done, can you let me know your settings so I can recommend a starting point for others in VPX?

Also, if you need to tweak the plunger all you need to do is run the Pinscape config utility, click on the Plunger icon and run the calibration. You should then be making optimum use of the full range of travel in your plunger. Re your earlier comments about the Low Tension spring, I agree it does lack a bit of feel but I went that way as the standard spring slams the crap out of the slide pot which would break it in no time!!!

@OzStick can you get the nudge controllers without the plunger ?

If this way of nudging in vpx gives you more nudge ability I would be keen, as button-fired nudge seems to have very little effect in vp10.

I used to use mercury switches but found them way too slow to be of any real use.

Ah good. Once you're done, can you let me know your settings so I can recommend a starting point for others in VPX?

Also, if you need to tweak the plunger all you need to do is run the Pinscape config utility, click on the Plunger icon and run the calibration. You should then be making optimum use of the full range of travel in your plunger. Re your earlier comments about the Low Tension spring, I agree it does lack a bit of feel but I went that way as the standard spring slams the crap out of the slide pot which would break it in no time!!!

I've been calibrating it through there. I'll use diview and see if the wiggle is the slide pot or just the way vpx interprets it.

I might also make use of setting a calibrating button to do it on the fly. Do you know if you can set a dead zone for the slide pot?

@OzStick can you get the nudge controllers without the plunger ?

If this way of nudging in vpx gives you more nudge ability I would be keen, as button-fired nudge seems to have very little effect in vp10.

I used to use mercury switches but found them way too slow to be of any real use.

Yes @Jed, you can purchase the Pinball Encoder WITHOUT the Plunger Module. When setting it up you just use the Pinscape config utility that comes with it to disable the Plunger so the encoder doesn't "look" for it. Then just wire up all your buttons (including a Launch button I would assume?) and enjoy all the analog nudgey goodness........:cool:

Best of all, it's a simple job to add the Plunger Module later on if you choose to.

@redferatu Did you end up settling on some setting, just started playing with my OzStick supplied encoder\plunger last night, I got the plunger calibrated and working, but the nudge seems "odd".

When I nudge the table I will get it a "bounce" back, it will first nudge left, then right as the table comes back from my nudge. It also seems a little sensitive, it will get a small nudge from the plunger release.

At the moment I have it set as per the pinscape recommended settings, which recommended a gain of 1000 and no mention of max (so I think it was default 100).

Wob

@redferatu Did you end up settling on some setting, just started playing with my OzStick supplied encoder\plunger last night, I got the plunger calibrated and working, but the nudge seems "odd".

When I nudge the table I will get it a "bounce" back, it will first nudge left, then right as the table comes back from my nudge. It also seems a little sensitive, it will get a small nudge from the plunger release.

At the moment I have it set as per the pinscape recommended settings, which recommended a gain of 1000 and no mention of max (so I think it was default 100).

Wob

Hi Wob,

As per my email to you, 1000 for VPX would be too high. Keep lowering the gain until you don't get any bounce back, then a few further adjustments to fine tune the settings. You can also use the Deadzone settings to prevent "false nudging" when you use the plunger or something like a shaker motor or PMD kicks in. It can also help to filter out any bounce back.

Cabinet construction and component layout can differ so it's not easy to suggest any base settings to use, but I reckon if you start at around 300% Gain in VPX, 500% Gain in VP9 and 3% Deadzone in either then that would be a good start.

I used dead zone settings. Check out a program called dinput, or direct input. I mucked around with it so a slap going straight down will nick a flipper if timed right. I have to time it just right.

I'll check my settings but like ozstick said all the variables are going to effect it. A big one would be placement, closer to the front I imagine the most movement. My plunger, button presses don't cause any noticeable movement when trapped/sitting on plunger. Also I need to recalibrate the plunger every couple of months. Considering there is an option to quick calibrate by long pressing a button I figure this is normal.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses guys, I quickly dropped it to 100% gain and around 2 for the dead zone, this removed the "odd" feeling, but it doesn't give much nudge so still need to tweak up.

@redferatu: your figure might just give me a nice starting point to tweak from, so if you could post that would be handy. I searched for dinput but didn't find much, only ddl's and APIs, do you happen to have a link handy?

I read the pinscape manual about calibration, it points at installing a "calibration" button, have you done this, or are you just doing it via the software?

Thanks,

Beau

I'll try and find the program I used.

Dxtweak I think was another option. Search for "direct input viewer dead zone"

I turned up the gain so high so the ball actually moves. See Jed's thread about vpx and nudge.

Plunger, I just go into the settings, I've recalibrated twice since I've been setup, so is fairly infrequent.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

On my test unit I can only recall having to recalibrate the plunger ONCE in the 8 odd months I've had the Pinscape encoder connected.

As a result I go without the calibrate button on my encoders because it's just as easy firing up the Pinscape Config Tool and doing it through that.