Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

WTB 5.25" disk drive

Hi,

I'm after a working 5.25" floppy drive to use on an old PC and a two way cable for it so I can use a 3.5" and 5.25" drive together.

If anyone has one at a reasonable price I'd be very interested.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hey Trev,

Do you need to keep the drive or just borrow it?

I have a mate that might be able to help.

But after postage backwards and forwards might be cheaper to buy the one on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-IBM-5-25-floppy-Drive-YD-380-1-2MB-FULLY-TESTED-WORKING-/191979377240?hash=item2cb2dcd258:g:TnQAAOSwPCVX5w9V

• 2 weeks later...
@BIG Trev

Sit tight, might have something for you, need to check box in shed at parents place so give me a few days, should be one there.

Cheers

Could you also check for a cable for it too please? I want to hook up a 3.5 and 5.25" drive to this pc.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
They are a bit like rocking horse poo unfortunately, I had a stack of them but when I wanted yo use one a few years ago they were all buggered. I ended up buying a couple of new old stock from the usa (so I would have a spare), cost me over $150 landed and that was when the dollar was good....

It makes it even sadder that the two I was sent got smashed to pieces. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161115/3a055b347daa8c1e9ad1fd47e8ed964a.jpgI do have a 286 pc coming with one so this will have to do for now. I'll be heading to Sydney this weekend and I'll get to check out my favorite trash and treasure market. I might get lucky and find one there. I'm in no hurry.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by BIG Trev

It's amazing that one day you're using them then when you want one they can't be found anywhere. Funny thing is I have two 8" drives but can't find a 5.25".

I found a pc on a Council cleanup that I'll use to run the eprom programmer and store schematics, pinouts and data sheets for board repair and I thought it might be handy if it had a 5.25" drive as well as the 3.5" it already has as I've got some old disks I'd like to try out. I've fitted a removable hdd bay on it for formatting and checking hard drives easily and it already had a dvd burner. It has Parallel, RS232 and USB sockets so I'll put the Arduino IDE on it along with ADTPro for the Apple II computers. I'm also thinking of taking one of the spare power connectors for the drives and connecting it to some banana sockets on the front of the case and move a couple of the USB ports to the front so I have power for Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects. So it's not urgent at the moment. It's just an idea to compact stuff on my ever shrinking work bench.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ive got a spare one, need to test, best I could do is $45 including cable + POST (carefully packed) :rolleyes

Let me know & i'll test for you, there is one in the unit. it was working a couple of years ago when I last tested it, the one on top has been stored in the bag it's sitting on for years.

Sean