Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Hello from Ballarat, VIC

Greetings Aussie Arcade members

Big C64 gamer from the 80's here, currently on a little bit of a nostalgia kick for the arcades I used to visit as a lad. It's really nice to know that such a forum exists. I have no doubt it'll be a great source of information.

What set me off on the adventure to discover this site was basically watching a few gaming related documentaries (King of Kong, Chasing Ghosts, The Video Craze, Order of Ecstasy...) and then googling on the concept of a "Barcade". I was pleasantly surprised to find that Melbourne already has the likes of Pixel Alley, Bartronica and Forgotten Worlds - places I'm definitely going to have to check out at some point. I'd be even more amazed to find out if Ballarat has anything like this that I haven't heard about! (Members are welcome to fill me in with any details related to this topic...)

Arcades I fondly remember:

Electrofun

This used to be where New Generation clothing is now. This was a wonderfully dark and atmospheric place - technically my parents forbid to me go there, but after seeing Double Dragon (which is probably my favorite arcade game of all time) with a mate in '87-88 or so, I was hooked. Great times! It was sad to see it go.

Local Bowling Alley:

I'd go here with friends very regularly back in the early 90's. I recall playing Street Fighter II, Shadow Dancer, Raiden, Rolling Thunder, TMNT, Outrun to name a few!)

Chalk it Up:

Always had a tasty arcade selection in the right corner upon entry. (King of Dragons, Golden Axe, Super Sprint, Moon Patrol...)

I was never really a fan of Timzone or Intencity, as these locations came a little later on and by that stage, the type of games had started to change for the worse in my opinion.

Honorable mention to:

A location I fail to remember the name of in Yarrawonga. It's probably the biggest arcade that I'd ever been to. I went there just the once in 1992 on a cycling holiday. Simply walking through there was incredible.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Pessimeister

Greetings Aussie Arcade members

Big C64 gamer from the 80's here, currently on a little bit of a nostalgia kick for the arcades I used to visit as a lad. It's really nice to know that such a forum exists. I have no doubt it'll be a great source of information.

What set me off on the adventure to discover this site was basically watching a few gaming related documentaries (King of Kong, Chasing Ghosts, The Video Craze, Order of Ecstasy...) and then googling on the concept of a "Barcade". I was pleasantly surprised to find that Melbourne already has the likes of Pixel Alley, Bartronica and Forgotten Worlds - places I'm definitely going to have to check out at some point. I'd be even more amazed to find out if Ballarat has anything like this that I haven't heard about! (Members are welcome to fill me in with any details related to this topic...)

Arcades I fondly remember:

Electrofun

This used to be where New Generation clothing is now. This was a wonderfully dark and atmospheric place - technically my parents forbid to me go there, but after seeing Double Dragon (which is probably my favorite arcade game of all time) with a mate in '87-88 or so, I was hooked. Great times! It was sad to see it go.

Local Bowling Alley:

I'd go here with friends very regularly back in the early 90's. I recall playing Street Fighter II, Shadow Dancer, Raiden, Rolling Thunder, TMNT, Outrun to name a few!)

Chalk it Up:

Always had a tasty arcade selection in the right corner upon entry. (King of Dragons, Golden Axe, Super Sprint, Moon Patrol...)

I was never really a fan of Timzone or Intencity, as these locations came a little later on and by that stage, the type of games had started to change for the worse in my opinion.

Honorable mention to:

A location I fail to remember the name of in Yarrawonga. It's probably the biggest arcade that I'd ever been to. I went there just the once in 1992 on a cycling holiday. Simply walking through there was incredible.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Pessimeister

There is an arcade in the unfashionable end of Gregory st

Before it was Electrofun, it was called Kieths and it was located opposite the Regent theatre

The was also an arcade in Wendouree village when it first opened

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again aussie arcade fans!

First up, thanks to everyone for the welcomes! It's been a busy period at work, but finally I've got some time to post on a few of favorite sites.

@ Pop Bumper Pete. Thanks for the information; I'll have to check out the Gregory St address you mention once the holidays come around! I also now remember that arcade in Wendouree Village. Thanks for triggering my memory there! ;)

Do you have any specific memories of Keith's arcade you mention in Lydiard St? Sounds like it was before my time (classic early 80's golden age) but I'd love to see some photos if there are any. Likewise if you know of any resources/websites for remembering anything about Electrofun as well. I've always wondered if we had anything resembling a "Twin Galaxies" style high score competition from back then, but can't be sure if the culture was ever that organised.

I've got a nice little overview of Bartronica in Melbourne that I wrote up recently for a couple of friends, which I visited for the first time last week. I'll also post it here for those curious that may not have checked the place out.

Bartronica has now been in Flinders Lane now for about a year and half apparently.

This was around 4 pm friday afternoon after work. I was pleasantly surprised by the smaller crowd; expected it to be swarming much more with teenagers and 20 somethings. The venue itself is fairly small but welcome, with a side exit leading to a bar garden exterior that I didn't end up checking out. As far as clientele goes, there was a balance of sexes, including a few couples and friends evidently catching up there after work too.

I had a chat to the bar attendant about the bar-cade phenomenon and referred him to King of Kong, Chasing Ghosts and the connected cultural events such as the "Kong Off" which has had continued success in the US and helped create a good deal of interest in classic arcade gaming from a competitive perspective. After the brief chat, I ordered a pint and got to checking out the games!

Overall, there's more of a late 80's/90's feel to the place, but there were a reasonable balance of options. This includes numerous console couch spots with N64s, Snes, Megadrive. One corner had some big four player split screen action (Mario Kart via N64) going on - these were probably the loudest and most rowdy sections of those there.

Mortal Kombat is tucked away to the right of the entrance, there's also classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (4 player) Time Crisis, Donkey Kong, 1942 (which I spent a couple of creds on and beat the high score yay!) a good mixture of pinballs, Marvel vs Capcom (evidently quite popular)

The rear area had a couple of my old favorites; namely Double Dragon, Golden Axe and Super Street Fighter II (which I'd never played on arcade before, only on snes). When I got to this area, I let out a nerdgasmic exulting sigh which got a few bemused grins from those playing nearby. I spent a couple of bucks on Double Dragon (got to area 4) and Golden Axe (last stage on one cred!) and tried my hand with Ryu, only to be mashed by T Hawk at the third stage!

Ahh, I was so out of practice on this format. It was a tremendous feeling to get my ass handed to me in this way again. :)

All in all, the trip home was naturally much more fuzzy and pleasant after the pint and added to the sheer joy of the games, it was a very welcome way to end the day it must be said.

I'm intending to visit Forgotten Worlds next this friday. :)

Cheers

Pessimeister

Re Kieths

The First pinball machines I remember playing was there with my best friend from primary school, two Williams EMs, Grand Prix and Space Odyssey. I played Hot Tip there, but I don't recall playing any other SS games there so I probably did not go in after 1978

They had an assortment of pinballs, EM rifle machines, early racing games and pool tables

I did get kicked out though. There was a racing Game that if you wore rubber soles shoes, shuffled your feet on the carpet and touched the credit button with a 2c coin, it would start the game

We got caught ;)