Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Karate Champ missing characters.

Kaizen

Question

I've had my Karate Champ running at home with no issues apart from losing background music, that was due to a faulty Programmable Sound Generator (both were replaced).

I put it in the back of the ute and drove 10 mins down the road to where it will be sited.

Plugged it in, switched it on and by the time I got around to playing it (an hour later) the two fighters were glitchy then finally disappeared.

I brought the board home and plugged it into my test bench and left it running for a while, I came back and all characters were still fine.

I checked the voltage at the board and it was sitting around 4.7v, when I adjusted the voltage up closer to 5.0v the two fighters disappeared, I dropped it back down and they reappeared.

Seems this board doesn't like to run at 5.0v. and maybe the bumping during transit has inadvertently caused the +5.0v to creep a little higher, it was set bang on 5.0v when I had it running at home. :unsure

I'll plug it back into the cab tomorrow and drop the +5v a tad.

3 answers to this question

I was getting the 4.7 at various ICs on the top board.

I'll take another look at it with the voltage cranked up to where the characters just disappear and see if I can find any chips failing.

Let the PCB run for a few hours and see what happens.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.