Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Scratch built Star Wars themed MAME cab

Hi guys, thought I would send through some pics of my first scratch built MAME cab that I finished a couple of months back. I decided to go with a Star Wars theme for my SW obsessed kids. Took about 6 months in the end from planning to finish and was great fun. I used 16mm MDF and followed Koenig's designs with a few alterations. It has a 25" HP LCD and runs Hyperspin through a pretty basic Dell computer. Got the Sanwa joysticks and buttons from OzStick which is running through the IPAC2. The construction part ended up being easier than the Hyperspin setup! Took me about a month and a few white knuckles to setup and run a decent looking frontend with mostly old school MAME, Atari, SNES, NES, Mega Drive, Master System, C64, NeoGeo, 3DO. Also put in Spotify to the Hyperspin menu to play music as I put in some really good quality BOSE speakers with a subwoofer.

I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of an Aussie Arcade legend.... Stuzza. The design for the sides, marquee and control panel was all him and they turned out brilliant. It's an Empire vs Rebel theme with one side Empire (Vader/Emperor) and the other side Rebel (Luke, Han, Leia etc). Stuzza you are awesome thanks buddy.

Reliving some good childhood memories at the moment with some of the old C64, Arcade and SNES classics. So much simpler, better and bloody hard gameplay back then! Forgot how difficult Ghosts'n'Goblins, Green Beret, Gauntlet, TMNT and some of the other classics were.

Sorry about the photos, the light is pretty crap in the kids toy room so they haven't come out that well, but you can probably get the idea.

IMG_4912.thumb.jpg.c538e3123fc4f473b8b6bce6f9cecac5.jpg

IMG_4838.thumb.jpg.d2022f445e67041ca81bf92d1ab556b6.jpg

IMG_4809.thumb.jpg.78d3c2a9d1ca42c462311452928eddc0.jpg

IMG_4805.thumb.jpg.bac4ccc9248172be574020fcf8175496.jpg

IMG_4791.thumb.jpg.fa60dc442ee7b933f1451b32e167a0dc.jpg

IMG_4788.thumb.jpg.f42b899983d906a3fd53b09cbcdc455e.jpg

IMG_4684.thumb.jpg.6d2df4fcfc16f3801102fecff79c2a53.jpg

IMG_4586.thumb.jpg.301757ab5b46b27041d1a5527ae2fa16.jpg

IMG_4583.thumb.jpg.43c5cdf80e5e6225f4e013cb7c8e451c.jpg

IMG_4385.thumb.jpg.1334d185f9dceeb999e10dd65a941f36.jpg

Great work Pete! Glad it is all finished and being enjoyed by the family. Was a pleasure to meet you and what a crazy small place Adelaide is with the connection with my wife. Also pretty awesome quality build for your very first scratch built cab. You should have seen my first effort all those years ago!

You need to post a video of that cool Star Wars intro vid you made. That is one of the coolest features of your cab. :)

PS. Are those Death star speaker covers??

Here is a better look at the final design for the cab art for those interested:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/stuzza12/miscellaneous/Pete-Star-Wars-Arcade-All-art-small%20preview.jpg

Cheers for the comments guys! Stuzza I managed to source the covers from eBay. They are actually Holden Torana speaker covers but as soon as I saw them on the screen it was shouting Death Star!! Perfect size too so good find.

Afeott, Stuzza did all the artwork thankfully (was way out of my depth) and I had a local Adelaide sign writer (David from Comstock signs) print and apply the vinyl. Turned out really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Awesome work on the artwork

I'm trying to source the file for my Star Wars trilogy pinball cabinet atm to make some new decals

Or I may even go down this avenue and make a custom decal for the pinball for my own collection .....

Will have to look into that did Stuzza do all via Photoshop?

Hey also I'm not sure if anyone here can be of help but one thing I have noticed is that when trying to play any game with any emulator on the cab, if player 2 presses up on the joystick and the player 2 button 1 at the same time then up stops working for some reason. For example if pushing joystick up its fine but as soon as the fire button is pressed then it sort of cuts out the up movement. Gets a bit annoying and not sure why it's happening. Has anyone else had the same issue or any tips??

Awesome work on the artwork

I'm trying to source the file for my Star Wars trilogy pinball cabinet atm to make some new decals

Or I may even go down this avenue and make a custom decal for the pinball for my own collection .....

Will have to look into that did Stuzza do all via Photoshop?

Yes I did it all in Photoshop. I have done plenty of custom pinball artwork sets too. Many you can download for free, some were custom commissioned jobs. You can view some previews here: http://imgur.com/a/MhlPm

Yes I did it all in Photoshop. I have done plenty of custom pinball artwork sets too. Many you can download for free, some were custom commissioned jobs. You can view some previews here: http://imgur.com/a/MhlPm

Awesome work there man

There is one Star Wars skin there that is love too see my pin covered in actually

I'll shoot you a pm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing looking Mame cab makes me want to get out and replace my 10 year old MAME cab with something new I'm sure mine wouldn't end up looking half as good though.

stuzza your pinball art looks amazing will have to contact you when mine is ready to do in a few months.