Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Warning- buying pins

nasco62

My point was that the residential address would have to be either owned by them or at least a friend - otherwise how did they get into the house?

I have no doubt that this was a scam but don't quite understand how it would work - unless they plan to deny everything once the cops arrive :unsure

Am guessing they have nothing to do with the house its just the location, in a dead end street that backs onto bushland. Maybe hide nearby, rob you when you rock up and take off through the bush.

Then I'd hope they would jump on dirt bikes to rendevous with a moving semi that drops down a ramp so they can ride up into the trailer. There should also be a helicopter/boat involved

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no machine when I looked at google maps house was on the end of a dead end road backing onto bush land. I think their plan was probably to pull a knife on me when I got out of the car and run off into the bush land.

Typically, a lot of scammers who use an address for frauds and related rip-offs (eg parcel/goods deliveries) have targeted a house which is vacant (occupants are away on holidays or house is vacant awaiting sale). They simply wait in the driveway or out front and make it 'look' like they are the occupier of the house. They either then accept/sign for the delivery and get the goods or in the case of a rip off, rob the person when they arrive. All the victim is left with is the address that they wrongly believe is the address for the scammer.

Bring back lynching and public floggings I say. :)

Edited by Guy with a Pinball

• Administrators

Be careful posting names. Based on the original post the name the thief used not him but is a real name registered on FB or the like to add credibility to his scam. Naming him will only dump on the poor bugger caught up in the scam and potentially get both the poster and AA in trouble with police/ litigation.

Dave

Be careful posting names. Based on the original post the name the thief used not him but is a real name registered on FB or the like to add credibility to his scam. Naming him will only dump on the poor bugger caught up in the scam and potentially get both the poster and AA in trouble with police/ litigation.

Dave

Thanks Furbs always the voice of wisdom, I have not posted names or addresses for all of the reasons you have outlined. This would be thief did not use his real name or address so posting this would serve no purpose.

I posted this on here as serious thread to remind my pinball friends to stop and think about what they are doing for 5 mins before you race off somewhere with a pocket of cash, if things don't seem right.

Have heard of similar incidents on the Gold Coast, with Pizza delivery drivers they turn up to an address which is situated next to adjacent bushland, They get robbed of their cash and normally the pizzas on the street outside the address. The occupiers of the address that the pizzas has been ordered to have no knowledge of the offence. Their address was just chosen by the offenders due to escape routes. The only thing linking them is the telephone number that ordered the pizzas and these days sims can be obtained without any identification. so the Sim could be registered to Donald Duck. After reading the original post there is no doubt you would have been robbed.

Unfortunately I am not sure that there is any action Police can take in relation to the matter as your good instincts stopped any offence from being committed. However they may put on an intelligence report.

Have heard of similar incidents on the Gold Coast, with Pizza delivery drivers they turn up to an address which is situated next to adjacent bushland, They get robbed of their cash and normally the pizzas on the street outside the address. The occupiers of the address that the pizzas has been ordered to have no knowledge of the offence. Their address was just chosen by the offenders due to escape routes. The only thing linking them is the telephone number that ordered the pizzas and these days sims can be obtained without any identification. so the Sim could be registered to Donald Duck. After reading the original post there is no doubt you would have been robbed.

Unfortunately I am not sure that there is any action Police can take in relation to the matter as your good instincts stopped any offence from being committed. However they may put on an intelligence report.

Yes, and it's arseholes like this making things harder and harder for the rest of us. Just recently here in China you now must provide ID to get a SIM. Won't be long and the same will apply in Australia.

I've had the same number here for years and I received a TXT telling me I had 30 days to lob at a China Mobile office and produce ID or they would can the number.

Yes, and it's arseholes like this making things harder and harder for the rest of us. Just recently here in China you now must provide ID to get a SIM. Won't be long and the same will apply in Australia.

Most countries require ID to obtain a SIM, and I believe Australia is no exception. For the last two SIMs I bought (one recently, one around two years ago), I had to provide ID.

Cheers,

Michi.

Most countries require ID to obtain a SIM, and I believe Australia is no exception. For the last two SIMs I bought (one recently, one around two years ago), I had to provide ID.

Cheers,

Michi.

Yeah when getting a SIM you need the standard check of 100 points of ID

What about prepaid phones? Don't they have SIM cards already in them, ready to use? With the advancements in technology and quality and cheap cost of decent printers and scanners these days, it would not be too difficult obtain good genuine looking fake ID. The average teenager at Kmart wouldn't pick it when you buy the prepaid phone.

He wasn't a very good scammer by the sounds of it! $7000 for a Monster Bash isn't the most temping offer he could have made.

Having said that, if he said he wanted $1000 for it I would probably be too busy driving there as fast as I could instead of pre-checking the address!

Thanks @nasco62 for this timely reminder. Well done on spending the time to sniff this out too. It's scary to think that this can happen but it does, and I'm the kind of naive person that would blindly walk into something like this without a reminder of how crappy people are in the world.

This is why I love Texas...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103992[/ATTACH]

And, yes, if the deal seems shady we can meet in a public place or I bring a friend with me.

I've never had an issue, but carry either a Kahr CW40 or a Ruger SR-40c when dealing with cash and strangers.

I don't think it's appropriate to bring this up in this forum. In Australia this topic in particular is rather sensitive. I mean, in Texas if this happened you probably would have been shot as you got out of the car and your dead body robbed, because the criminal would be expecting (or at least anticipating the probability) someone carrying a concealed firearm. Rather than here where the likely worst case scenario is you get stabbed or beat up.