Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

IFPA Australian Championship Series Final, 9-12 February 2017, Thornbury VIC

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to add my thanks too. Luke, Dan, and Tim, you ran the event like clockwork, everything worked super-smoothly, the machines were in great condition, and thank you for the huge live scoring screen, that really made a difference!

To me, the best part was getting to know a few people better, and getting a chance to play new machines. A full two-thirds of the machines were completely new to me, so I got to learn lots!

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. My thanks to everyone there for the camaraderie, the friendly banter, and all the playing tips people gave so freely!

Michi.

To the winners of the various comps over the weekend, congratulations. The competition stuck a new high bar this weekend.

To Brett, the 2016 ACS champ (again!), well deserved, you were at the top of game the entire week. I certainly enjoyed both watching and playing you.

To the Organisers, Luke, Dan, and Timmy - I can't thank enough. To prepare for these events is a huge stress on all resources. From locating a suitable location to the caressing of collectors to bring along games for us to compete on, to management of the players both prior to and during the comps - a monumental task. These guys did it all with great aplomb.

Great array of machines, excellent setting for the Championships, high level of competition, all with great people. WELL DONE.

Here are the final standings for all three tournaments:

IFPA AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES FINAL

1 Brett Goodwin

2 Johnny Crabtree

3 Matthew Venables

4 Robert Macauley

5 Jordan Tredaway

6 Paul Jones AUS

7 Brian Boxy Schleibs

8 Jasen Mouritsen

9 Marc Bell

10 Rob Singh

11 Grant Quinn

12 Greg Gee

13 Luke Marburg

14 Pat Nichols

15 Greg Siegele

16 Martin Robbins

17 Alex Nunn

18 David Peck

19 Jason Lambert

20 Paul Reid

21 Wal Dickie

22 Geoff Wills

23 Nick Hamhougias

24 Michi Henning

25 Stacey Borg

26 John Hutchinson

27 Chris Wade

28 Andrew Ferguson

29 Stuart Thornton

30 Marcus Sezonov

31 Gavin Drogemuller

32 John Ebejer

ACS STRIKES TOURNAMENT

1 Greg Siegele

2 Grant Quinn

3 Paul Jones AUS

4 David Holroyd

5 Rob Singh

5 Jordan Tredaway

7 Paul Reid

8 Robert Macauley

8 Phil Franze

8 Brian Schleibs

8 Marc Bell

8 Martin Robbins

13 Matthew Venables

13 Gavin Drogemuller

13 Geoff Wills

13 Jason Lambert

13 Andrew Ferguson

18 Brett Goodwin

18 Stuart Thornton

18 Chris Wade

18 Fab Ciccone

18 Greg Gee

18 Tim Chapman

18 Vicki Wills

18 Pat Nichols

18 Peter Collins

18 Luke Marburg

28 Jasen Mouritsen

28 Dejan Golja

28 Lisa Butler

28 David Peck

28 Lucas Bardin

28 Daniel Robar

28 Michi Henning

28 Rico Stanley

28 Naiomi Goodwin

28 Stuart McLean

28 Fred Olsen

28 Adam Clarke AUS

28 Scott Kellett

28 Marcus Sezonov

28 Shane Butler

43 Mark Guardiani

43 Stacey Borg

43 James Smith

43 Sam Tedesco

43 Nick Hamhougias

43 Fraser Haigh

43 Nathan Dishpan

43 Brent Lockwood

43 Lorraine Posar

43 Andrew Heitmann

43 Adrian Wilson

ACS FLIP FRENZY

1 Johnny Crabtree

2 Robert Macauley

3 Greg Gee

4 Paul Jones

4 Matthew Venables

6 Greg Siegele

7 Wal Dickie

8 Paul Reid

9 Andrew Ferguson

10 Gavin Drogemuller

11 Marc Bell

12 Brett Goodwin

13 Adam Clarke

13 Stuart Thornton

15 Jordan Tredaway

16 Naiomi Goodwin

17 Andy Kay

18 David Holroyd

19 Brian Schleibs

19 Michi Henning

21 Pat Nichols

22 Dejan Golja

23 Stacey Borg

24 Alex Nunn

24 Grant Quinn

24 Tim Chapman

27 Phil Franze

28 David Peck

29 Andrew Heitmann

29 Marcus Sezonov

29 Fab Ciccone

29 Daniel Robar

33 Vicki Wills

34 Geoff Wills

35 Nick Hamhougias

35 Raphael Melkonian

37 Lorraine Posar

38 Daniel Brown

39 Curtis Thornton

40 Stuart McLean

41 Adam Dutton

Bloody awesome weekend. Kudos to all involved . only one complaint... Bloody 8bit beer

Come on acejas that was a great beer. 6.5% and only $5. Cant go wrong. The Hawker Pale Ale was good too.

I had a great time down in Melbourne. Couple of highlights for me were getting the 50 million shot on Gilligan's Island and Grand Champion on The Walking Dead (although this wasn't during a comp, I did get Terminus, Horde and Blood Bath twice for >500mil) The other highlight was winning the split flipper tournament with @specialharmony. After getting <22,000 on Charlies Angels we managed to come back on Ghostbusters and Pinball and score higher than we did during the single player tournament. It seemed like there were a lot of scores like that, especially on Jackbot! Teams putting up over 2 billion on ball 1.

In the flip frenzy I lost a bunch of games at the start but then came home with 8 wins in a row which I was happy with. I didn't seem to have to play the same game more than twice which was a big surprise for this format. Also managed a 1.4bil on Ghostbusters including Mass Hysteria Multiball.

For the strikes comp I had the privilege of playing in the group with Vicki Wills on Charlies Angels when she got the new grand champion score. Very impressive.

I was looking at my scoring for the main competition and the only consistency was that I was inconsistent. 5 wins, 3 seconds, 4 thirds and 3 lasts.

Compare this with @Brett2280 and Brett had no last place during the whole qualifying period, 2 thirds and the rest wins and seconds.

Also mention to Alex Nunn and Marc Bell being the only 2 players to score a perfect round of 21.

It was such a tough competition in regards to qualification. Nobody was safe. Coming into the final round I was equal second place in group B and ended up only 2 points clear of the cut zone. You can never really say you are out of it. I think acejas was around 4th or 5th last coming into the final round and a 19 point round got him up into the finals.

Congrats to Brett on winning the finals. He used some good strategy for game choice and I also liked the way he stuck to a plan. I don't think I have ever seen that many left ramp shots on ACDC before :) Performing the tap passes on Stern Pinball was a gutsy move for a finals match but obviously you need to be able to perform them at any time. An interesting thing I noticed on the first Metallica game vs Johnny in the finals was that Brett was cool and calm during his practice. Post passing from the right flipper to the lift to hit sparky etc. But as soon as the game started he changed that up and flailed away for that first ball. Second ball came back and executed his plan of starting that multi ball and had a decent go after that. Its interesting that we all know the "correct" way to play and what we need to do but put competition into it and it can sometimes go out the window.

Thanks also to the organisers of the competitions. The timing was spot on, which is really helpful for the interstate visitors. Looking forward to the next one, although having moved to Newcastle there doesnt seem to be many events to participate in. Next year could be an all Ipswich tournament :)

Would there be any merit in having state championships where the top 8 from NSW, QLD, VIC and SA go through to play the finals? @LCM

Results and points are up on the IFPA site:

Flip Frenzy

Strikes

Main Event

Would there be any merit in having state championships where the top 8 from NSW, QLD, VIC and SA go through to play the finals? @LCM

Yeah, the idea of setting up an Australian State Championship Series has been considered. Nothing will be changing for this year, though.

Interesting that the 3.5 hour flip frenzy is worth more than the ACS. Is it related to the amount of games played etc?

It shows how IFPA points can be manipulated no matter how strong the competition is.

The Flip Frenzy was worth slightly more points than the ACS simply because it had more competitors. There's no manipulation going on.

Being limited to 32 entrants, the ACS is never going to be up with the highest-scoring tournaments of the year. It's more about the prestige than the points.

Thanks also to the organisers of the competitions. The timing was spot on, which is really helpful for the interstate visitors. Looking forward to the next one, although having moved to Newcastle there doesn't seem to be many events to participate in.

Hey Pat

There was a lack of interest for comps over the last 6 months of last year. We couldn't even have a final 4 playoff for the last 2 months.

It seemed that some people and some sites were working against it, even though people played the games and qualified scores, they wouldn't submit scores to get numbers up

Flip Frenzy comps are simple and easy enough to run? and maybe another pingolf?

So this year , if you and Brett want to drum up some interest, we could get something going.

I have quite a bit of shit that keeps piling on at the moment so cant organise much but can help with machines and site.

Luke, congratulations to you and all your contributors and volunteers for the smoothest run tournament I've played in Oz. A nice variety of machines that stayed up all weekend and a very friendly atmosphere (exc when I told Johnny Crabtree to F off & die in the last round of the qualifying for beating me by 1% on two games by bonus count). That friendly atmosphere was helped along by your thorough planning and clear communication. It was great to have plenty of time to jump on the plane sun night. I have learnt a lot from you and hope to take these lessons into the ACS in Adelaide next year. So come on over everyone, we will put together a great collection of machines for you, old and new.

Sydney needs to get some comps going otherwise NSW will be under represented at next year's ACS.

Yep, us NSWelshman have noticed. QLD and VIC are gunning it with leagues all over the place. I think NSW is in a bit of trouble this year. Pinball HQ at Coogee Diggers is an exception (now running a monthly flip frenzy as well), but for anyone outside of the East of Sydney it's a horrible place to get to (and out of).

Personally I'm backing off a bit with comps this year anyway. I've taken too much time off work and spent too much money - time to focus back on my real job! After New Zealand that is anyway...

Personally I'm backing off a bit with comps this year anyway. I've taken too much time off work and spent too much money - time to focus back on my real job! After New Zealand that is anyway...

I know that feeling way too well. Up to and including Batcave I spent $6284.55 (give or take a few dollars) on pinball. Admittedly PAPA/IFPA inflates that to the tune of $4692.96 but it still adds up. Accommodation is the killer in my case followed closely by hire cars. RGR predicted in January last year that I could end up spending over $10K on pinball last year if I wasn't careful. Add the 2 or 3 comps I would've gone to (Brisbane Masters, Melbourne Matchplay and possibly QLD Open) and $10K was on the cards.

I now have no annual leave left so no NZ this year. Need to get life and finances back on track. A well meaning mate gave me the retire now speech 2 days ago. At most try to qualify for next year's ACS then call it a day. Quote: "You're not getting any younger. These kids coming through will be kicking your arse sooner rather than later...." it goes on and on.

My plans for 2017. Play the Adelaide comps where possible. Try and get to 3 interstate events at most. Brisbane Masters, Melbourne Matchplay and whatever replaces Batcave this year. No promises but I'll be trying to make those 3 happen. Would also like to make a surprise appearance somewhere. Probably won't happen but it would be fun if I could do it.

Tell me about it.

Now yas are realising. I really shouldn't be going to NZ either. But being the 10th, I'm going but may be my last. Make things worse I start work today, for a week, then have a week off.

Forced retirement sucks Rob, but sometimes there's no choice. And as for NSW comps, try living in Newy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that feeling way too well. Up to and including Batcave I spent $6284.55 (give or take a few dollars) on pinball. Admittedly PAPA/IFPA inflates that to the tune of $4692.96 but it still adds up. Accommodation is the killer in my case followed closely by hire cars. RGR predicted in January last year that I could end up spending over $10K on pinball last year if I wasn't careful. Add the 2 or 3 comps I would've gone to (Brisbane Masters, Melbourne Matchplay and possibly QLD Open) and $10K was on the cards.

I now have no annual leave left so no NZ this year. Need to get life and finances back on track. A well meaning mate gave me the retire now speech 2 days ago. At most try to qualify for next year's ACS then call it a day. Quote: "You're not getting any younger. These kids coming through will be kicking your arse sooner rather than later...." it goes on and on.

My plans for 2017. Play the Adelaide comps where possible. Try and get to 3 interstate events at most. Brisbane Masters, Melbourne Matchplay and whatever replaces Batcave this year. No promises but I'll be trying to make those 3 happen. Would also like to make a surprise appearance somewhere. Probably won't happen but it would be fun if I could do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk