Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Wanted: use of a tumbler!

I've had balls in it for a bit over 24 hours. A lot have come up quite nicely, but some still have a bit on tarnish on them. I'll leave them for another day and reassess.

try adding some NU Finish car polish to it. that's seems to be the most widely used product to add to the media

also good choice on the Lyman, least you have a tumbler that could last you a life time.

It may take you some experimenting Before you work out the best way to use your tumbler, so your results will change as you figure out the best way to make the most of your tumbler and what media to use for what items. Once you figure that out, the times it take to tumble decrease and the quality of the finished item gets better. Trial and error

From personal experience it took me some time to get the hang of it all, I also have various types of media to do different jobs, One type of media doesn't do everything. from my trial an error, I found its good to have a few different types of media and additives

Edited by jason1
spelling

try adding some NU Finish car polish to it. that's seems to be the most widely used product to add to the media

also good choice on the Lyman, least you have a tumbler that could last you a life time.

It may take you some experimenting Before you work out the best way to use your tumbler, so your results will change as you figure out the best way to make the most of your tumbler and what media to use for what items. Once you figure that out, the times it take to tumble decrease and the quality of the finished item gets better. Trial and error

From personal experience it took me some time to get the hang of it all, I also have various types of media to do different jobs, One type of media doesn't do everything. from my trial an error, I found its good to have a few different types of media and additives

Is nu finish that stuff from the 90s add with the red car "once a year car polish"

Will try some of the Nu finish. Thanks for the recommendation.

I pulled the balls out yesterday after tumbling them for a week. They were probably in there for about 60 hours total. So just under 3 days.

Overall I'm happy with how they turned out. At the beginning they were all covered with at least some rust and I wouldn't put any in my own machines. Now they look quite nice and I'd happily put most of them into machines (see first pic). About 5 are probably beyond saving (see last pic; it's the same ball I posted at the start). But even these ones would still be ok to use as captive balls.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/3f806c43ee2d87f660310b0f1ac0ffb7.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/4d7e680f5ef92484637cd0daef756ace.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/fdfcf6b6d40a9dbecb7dfee1099effdb.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/fbe8cdbdb2c2dff48f93665d01f7ab8e.jpg

Also worked a treat on some bolts and flipper parts after about 12 hours. The bolts were painted black to begin with and the flipper parts were fresh out of an unshopped, dirty game.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/9419c3dcae8cf756ca9c66d1768f6a46.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/d3b0e8efb611f5d566dbf1c7b1dbf50f.jpg

• 1 month later...

@ocyen they turned out great, What Brand media did you use?, there is also a ceramic triangle media that is good for bolts or even Pinballs, you could use that first to remove the rusty shit, and then the walnut to buff using the ceramic cut down tumbling times

I also use that for small parts so you dont have to pick-out bit of wallnut EG acorns, allot of people forget there is more than one type of media

@ocyen they turned out great, What Brand media did you use?, there is also a ceramic triangle media that is good for bolts or even Pinballs, you could use that first to remove the rusty shit, and then the walnut to buff using the ceramic cut down tumbling times

I also use that for small parts so you dont have to pick-out bit of wallnut EG acorns, allot of people forget there is more than one type of media

Hi Jason,

It was walnut media and came free with the tumbler (unbranded). I do find that it takes a looong time to tumble the rust and dirt off parts so the pyramid media is what I want to try next. Any idea where it can be bought cheaply?

Got a load of leg bolts and levellers in the tumbler currently. Unpainted but quite rusty when they went in, so hopefully they turn out as nice as the last lot.

Hi Jason,

It was walnut media and came free with the tumbler (unbranded). I do find that it takes a looong time to tumble the rust and dirt off parts so the pyramid media is what I want to try next. Any idea where it can be bought cheaply?

Got a load of leg bolts and levellers in the tumbler currently. Unpainted but quite rusty when they went in, so hopefully they turn out as nice as the last lot.

You can use the triangles for removing the light rust Off item, eg pinballs for a few hours then put the Pinballs into the wallnut to polish

Would save you some time.

I bought My Triangles from these guys https://www.aussiesapphire.com.au

• 1 month later...
I have the same tumbler, great unit.

But for pinballs, not so good, they may come out great, but very quickly get rusty again.

I also have an ultra sonic cleaner too.

Ultra sonic cleaners, clean not polish. So if I have something very dirty / rusty etc I'll go with a vinegar bath first (depends on how bad the rust . if rusty) then Ultra sonic cleaner and then the tumbler.

Maybe excessive but works well.

Let us know how you go, as mentioned before media plays an important roll, so keen to see how your pinballs are after a tumbling, and how long they keep their shine / condition

Just thought I would comment on this. I finished a tumble run about a month ago and put the balls into a ziplock bag for storage. The thinking was that this would inhibit any rusting. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work as the balls have small rust spots on them again. Not really sure how to manage this as the rust has obviously penetrated further into the steel than what is visible. After a while out of the tumbler it just comes up again. So perhaps a longer tumbling period is in order, or treatment with a rust inhibitor.

I will try a few things and see if it makes a difference...

Just thought I would comment on this. I finished a tumble run about a month ago and put the balls into a ziplock bag for storage. The thinking was that this would inhibit any rusting. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work as the balls have small rust spots on them again. Not really sure how to manage this as the rust has obviously penetrated further into the steel than what is visible. After a while out of the tumbler it just comes up again. So perhaps a longer tumbling period is in order, or treatment with a rust inhibitor.

I will try a few things and see if it makes a difference...

You'd probably need to coat the balls in some sort of oil or Inox. Obviously would need to clean clean it off balls before using - but if you're only looking to protect in storage, would work well. That's why most brand new balls have an oil substance on them when u get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd probably need to coat the balls in some sort of oil or Inox. Obviously would need to clean clean it off balls before using - but if you're only looking to protect in storage, would work well. That's why most brand new balls have an oil substance on them when u get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is what I do, I store them a bag with a squirt of Wd40 while not in use. if they are used all the time they wont have that problem

• 2 months later...

This is what I've decided to do.

I re-tumbled all of the balls and put them in ziplock bags with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil. Will see how they hold up after a few weeks and report back.

It's frustrating to have 40-50 balls shiny and ready to go, only to see them rusty again when you pull them out of the bags!

• 1 month later...
This is what I've decided to do.

I re-tumbled all of the balls and put them in ziplock bags with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil. Will see how they hold up after a few weeks and report back.

It's frustrating to have 40-50 balls shiny and ready to go, only to see them rusty again when you pull them out of the bags!

Thought I would bump this up and ask; Alex did you buy a tumbler or borrow one from someone? Could I ask you to share a link please? I have had the exact same problem with my own balls!

Needing to find a solution to rescue balls before I start chucking out :( @ocyen

Thought I would bump this up and ask; Alex did you buy a tumbler or borrow one from someone? Could I ask you to share a link please? I have had the exact same problem with my own balls!

Needing to find a solution to rescue balls before I start chucking out :( @ocyen

Hey Max,

I bought it from here: https://www.abelasgunshop.com.au/. Most gun and hunting shops might have something similar.

I packaged the balls in ziplock bags with a few drops of oil. So far they are keeping well; no rust. So I think that's the solution!