Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Aircraft grade ply

Hi,

this may not be anything new to some restorers but first time for me.

problem - I have a 60`s-70`s cabinet with woodgrain laminex finish . laminex was discoloured and needed replacing. when the laminex was removed it was found that the cabinet underneath had some edges broken and wasnt really suitable for sand and stain.

solution I used - my original idea was to simply replace the laminex with new - not really what I was after but would do.-- until I priced it:o

A friend suggested some sort of vaneer- good idea but can be fragile. A quick trip to Mr Ply and Wood with laminex and photos in hand where I explained my problem to the salesman . This guy got excited and we spent 40 mins going through possibilities which landed us on aircraft ply.

Aircraft grade ply is a true ply - it has a minimum of 3 layers- but in thicknesses of 1mm down to 0.6mm . It has an excellent finish to both sides and is beech . It can be cut with a hobby knife and drilling is as easy as any other ply - unlike laminex. Also half the cost.

with this in hand I cut to size, glued it on the cabinet and stained/varnished - the finish is better than laminex with any cabinet repairs/faults hidden

this may be a useful to anyone restoring 60-70`s cabinets without wanting shitty laminex or vinyl.

old laminex finish

IMAG0038.thumb.jpg.58c4c1eaa21dd9f1687d85a66be7c0cc.jpg

IMAG0048.thumb.jpg.95b40748f7a06be482aee071a7ee4cce.jpg

aircraft grade ply fixed to cabinet

IMAG0050.thumb.jpg.785c7a4694f202748af00d7a9d6ad994.jpg

sand,stain,varnish complete - used walnut stain and satin finish to stay with the time period-makes chrome pop too

IMAG0054.thumb.jpg.26d851bfce2ac9d427e6682e29d1156a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...