Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

iPadDMD - Is it workable in a cab?

RustyCardores

Question

I'm having a play at using an iPad as a DMD (for no other reason than just having a go)....

The Duet display server on the PC and the Duet app on the iPad, work together to seamlessly to extend the windows desktop to the iPad (it really is brilliant). The iPad's inbuilt ‘Guided Access’ allows Duet to maintain focus (even from sleep). So my thought is that maybe this is a workable option for those with older iPads that they have upgraded from?? (It can't be too old, as iOS7 is a minimum requirement for Duet)

Scale might be an issue for full size cabs though, as an iPad Mini is way too small and a regular iPad is a bit too small. An iPad Pro is perfect! But who has old iPad Pros just laying around that they could commit to a cab? The regular iPad would probably be perfect for a mini-cab build though.

The only other problem I foresee, is whether it would wake from sleep with the cab booting, or whether it would require some direct input at the iPad? This I will test today.

This is one of my scale tests using the iPad Pro...

iPadDMD_ELVIRA.thumb.jpg.d533a478aae5f3e999241431d3299ca2.jpg

4 answers to this question

that vpin of yours is turning into a transformer :D

I'm not sure about Ipad but back when i built my first prototype vpin and only had one panel i used a 10" Android tablet as a DMD using an app for wireless monitor display on my PC, it worked pretty well. as you already mentioned though it is too small.

Grab yourself an LED Pin2DMD instead - i'm lovin' it

https://youtu.be/BiPzsNwlPa8

One day I'll get around to building a new topbox and adding a real DMD. ;)

I've been looking at the size and I might just be able to make it work with a simple mod to my current box. Cost is the main prohibitive factor though. But when it comes to iPads, I have a son in IT so they are just laying around. lol

One day I'll get around to building a new topbox and adding a real DMD. ;)

I've been looking at the size and I might just be able to make it work with a simple mod to my current box. Cost is the main prohibitive factor though. But when it comes to iPads, I have a son in IT so they are just laying around. lol

cool, would like to see that.

i'm seriously condsidering that topper idea you have implemented...damn you, that's more $ into the vpin :lol

cool, would like to see that.

i'm seriously condsidering that topper idea you have implemented...damn you, that's more $ into the vpin :lol

Sorry, my bad. lol

I just bought a new topper screen, as my old one developed a blue line through it and I could only put up with my black Nikko pen fix for so long (seriously, a black line was less annoying than a bright blue one, but still annoying all the same. hehe)

I'm not totally happy with the "cheap" ViewSonic I bought, as it's not as solid in the black unused areas of the screen as the Samsung was. :( ...but I was on a "toy" budget and it ticked all the other boxes (size, VESA, shape for mounting etc). So if you do make a topper, make sure that you get a screen with good blacks that look dark from all directions. It's better when the toppers just appear out of total darkness. I will probably chuck this screen on top of my BeerKegMAME and get a new one as a topper down the track.

- - - Updated - - -

OK with regard to using the iPad....

The Pro works perfectly and after placing the regular iPad in position, I reckon you could just get away with it for size. Yes it's a tad small, but it's not all that bad IMO.

The problem however, is as I suspected... start up. Manual intervention is required at the iPad itself. So this idea is being relegated to cab prototying only for now, just as Jed's Android Tablet was.