Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Batman 66 - the next Stern

chopchop

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that a t8 hex screw? Wonder if people will trade them. Also wonder if it's inbuilt into the software like the woz number was. Don't think they did it with the hobbit

Hope it's a torx thingy - looks like it - so the speaker grill can be powder coated.

Not sure if I have a preference for gadgets or episodes. Surely they would send a mix of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally think one machine, one model. Bally and Williams managed to do it that way.

You want to do it up, you buy the parts from Stern or after market and mod it to your level yourself. Customize, not "I'm the kid with the most amount of money". It isn't like Stern are making 10,000 machines each title is it.

I bought a new AC/DC pro and I couldn't believe it didn't come with a manual or even a prop to hold the playfield up. To me, that is an incomplete machine, not a machine designed for the street operator as it was intended to be. That was the one and only new machine I will ever buy off these guys.

I purposely targeted the pro because being standup targets and not drop targets would mean a much faster machine and it is. This fact has been proven by people that converted Fire Powers to the prototype version of Fire Power that actually had drop targets instead of stand ups.

I suspect dropping the pro will simply drop the two remaining levels but not the price. Be interesting to hear if the New lower level comes with a playfield prop.

Next time I'm after a new machine I think I will seriously be looking at a Thunderbirds. At least he is an Aussie with his heart in the right place. The Machines are being made in China so the price should be realistic and I think the quality of the product will shine.

Just my thoughts.

Are the cards all unique as well?

Ship docks on the 19th. So not long now!

My understanding is that Stern had 500 signed by Adam West and there were only 143 card designs, so some machines will have the same card, but that's just what i heard so could be wrong.

Is that a t8 hex screw? Wonder if people will trade them. Also wonder if it's inbuilt into the software like the woz number was. Don't think they did it with the hobbit

It's not in anything I have found on the system. It only appears to be the full serial number. This is hard locked to the machine via a USB security dongle too!

Timezone at coolangatta just got the Batman SLE setup today. Managed to get in half a dozen games or so.

I will give a very early first impression, but first I just want to say a big thanks to the team at timezone for their commitment and passion for pinball.

I know all pinheads on the gold coast are grateful that we have two amazing locations packed with the latest games.

I'm not going to talk price as this has been done to death, its a bloody expensive game across all models.

There is nothing in the game that would really indicate a major increase in the cost and I think this really is Stern testing the market to see how far they can push wealthy collectors.

I think the real test for Stern will be premium sales. Even with the SLE and LE sales at higher prices, Stern still needs to sell a lot of premiums to make a success of this project.

If they see strong premium sales then we will have more projects like in the future, if not it might be a one and done.

Here is a quick summary of the good and the bad.

ART

Its a great looking game. The cabinet art particularly really is gorgeous. The LED is well integrated and the size works perfectly. The speakers and trim really tie the look together. The topper wasn't installed and might be shipping later based on what overseas owners have been saying. I think the topper will really make the package whole and I'm usually not fussed on toppers.

The play field is a little lacklustre compared to what we have seen from Zombie Yetti on GB or Dirty Donny on MET & yesterdays AS reveal. There is a big difference to having a single artist layout an entire package. Here the play field has a photoshopped feel. Yes there are great renderings of the main villains etc.. however they are cut and pasted into the overall background and its not as cohesive.

Play field

The play field feels a little flat next to other modern games. The ramps are pretty shallow and so you loose the sense of depth compared to say GB main Ramp or KISS love gun ramp.

Its a pretty typical Fan layout, although the left orbit feeds to a saucer, which acts as the mystery/extra-ball/TV scoop, rather then looping round, which blocks the flow a bit. Similar to the fish finder shot in FT. You need to hit the shot well to make it all the way round to this saucer, which adds a little tension when going for the shot. However the left orbit entrance is pretty open and usually quite make able. The saucer has a soft kick which feeds into the pops.

There is another saucer under the crane which acts as the penguin hole as well as the last shot needed to complete each main villain. Its a little awkward and does reject occasionally. Also it looks like you should be able to backhand it, but it never quite seemed to make it, always bouncing slightly off to the left. If it was a standard scoop, I think you could backhand. There is a nice little mini horseshoe with spinner that feeds into the same saucer just left of the crane, which is a surprising nice shot. Occasionally you will also get bounce in as the ball exits the pops. The kick out from this saucer is soft and doesn't put the ball at risk. The area of the play field also has a Governor Gordan multiple standup which I think adds multipliers to the play field. There is a lot of kick off if you hit the target cleanly which adds a little more risk as it should.

As I mentioned early the ramps are a little underwhelming, They feel nice and smooth and the balls zips through them cleanly to the corresponding flipper. However they are very safe shots due to their height if the ball is hot even semi clean, it will make the ramp. The RHS ramp can be backhanded with no issues. Due to the lack of height you won't get an easy hop over to the other flipper from either ramp so they not really any good for transferring the ball between flippers, although post passes are a super easy so not really an issue.

The gadget stand ups on the left are pretty much the same as green goblin on Spiderman VE, although due to the way the ball moves around the table they get hit fairly frequently. Got the gadget activated regularly, which lights the lockdown bar button to activate the gadget. Couldn't tell at this point if the gadgets have been coded in, however my guess based on gadgets being a major component of the show, the gadget function will end up being a lot more nuanced them simply shot bombs.

The T.V stands on the right where by far the hardest shot in the game, probably harder then the drop targets on TWD, the lower target is a bitch. I see them playing a major role in the game as code progresses.Right now lighting all three activates the T.V insert on the left orbit, making the shot to the saucer lets you choose a sub villain.Sub Villains are based off the three seasons, I'm guessing you have to activate the stand ups multiple times to unlock each season, not sure if this is per ball or if they carry over. The sub villains again will be an excellent feature when coded right.At the moment could not really tell what effect they where having on the game.

The crane is a great toy and I would like to see it used more often in the game, which I'm sure it will. Bringing it into play say as a super jackpot shot in multi ball or as a hurry up could be fun. It can be a dangerous shot in certain positions, but that the idea. Registered perfectly every hit (has to be a direct hit from the front of the ball) no issues like with slimmer on GB.

The pops are pretty standard, although one excellent feature is the use of the back plate to highlight the rollover lanes. Each lane has a corresponding bat signal which is lit just above the feed on the back plate. Works well and I can see it be used in the future. Not sure why it hasn't been used more often. The skill shot feeding to the bumpers is so so. and worth very little. Basically the shooter lane has three arrows inserts that work like mini star rollovers. When you plunge the the arrows that the ball rolls over will light a corresponding but signal at the in lanes to the bumpers. Time it so you get all three arrows and all bat signals are lit at the pops, so any lane will give the skill shot. The signals at the pops can not be cycled when skill shot mode is active. You can shoot the ball by pressing the lockdown bar button. Overall it sounds better and more nuanced then it really is. With such low rewards (a million for skin shot) I never much bothered and just fired whenever.

Thats pretty much the whole play field, expect for the TOY. Okay this doesn't really need caps as it is a much better concept then it is in practice. A lot of time and energy has gone into the spinning platform and its cool, but the speed of the spin and the fact that ever shot is still pretty much the same to this area means that it falls a little short. The magnet in front of the platform is quite weak compared to say the monger in IM or The prison magnet in TWD. Shots can brick off the standup for the phone and T.V so be careful when going for these. You going to be hitting this area a lot. The phone is used to start main villains after their corresponding shots have been completed and is a countdown, which does bring a lot of needed tension. The T.V has two stand ups to activate the lock (RHS orbit) these can be stacked so after a while playing you will find you automatically have all three locks lit. The last wedge of the platform houses the spinning batmobile. Its a fun shot but can cause ball hangups and ball search (twice in all the games a played) these searches take a longtime as the platform has to keep rotating until the spinner releases the ball.

The platform also holds the balls you have locked and releases them at multi ball. Not much fanfare here they sort of just trickle out onto the table. The platform also acts as the shot to activate Joker, any shot here will light a joker letter. Overall its a cool toy/feature and is an innovating way to make use of limited space on the play field. However it does need some tweaking.

CODE

Okay this is way to early to judge. From what I have read and heard on podcasts, Batman was rushed out to meet the end of 2016 and the 50 year anniversary, it was originally scheduled for after Aerosmith but things where swapped around. I have no doubt that Lyman will make the code into a master piece. There are all the elements for some really interesting rules and objectives, I would not be surprised if this game ends up owning it with code. I can just see the potential with the Sub-Villian/Gadgets etc... Its like it is all there laid out waiting for his magic, much more so the TWD or MET where Lyman sort of came in later in the game. Here he was directly involved with the design process, layout and inserts, I have no doubt he has a vision for this game and is probably pretty bummed it has been released so early, just the vibe I got from watching the Dead flip stream. As of now the code is super bare and not intuitive at all. The shot inserts seem to be used for multiple modes at once with no clear direction to draw the players focus. The sub-villains have no clear impact on the game, same with the gadget belt. Multi ball is a joke, all main shots are continuously lit and active for jackpot as long as two or more balls are in play thats it. In fact I had no real desire to make multi ball after the first couple of times. There are no mini multi balls are any sort of fanfare from completing main villains. There are combos and a see these being an important component moving forward, couldn't tell exactly how the stack as did not have enough games yet, will focus on them a bit more in the coming days when I get to explore the table a further. All of the above is pretty much a non starter as this is a game that will get amazing code and for now it works as an intro to the table. Hell its .056 at the moment so a longways to go. I won't speculate on the timeframe for code updates etc.. however expect it to take some time and a lot of updates until things start really moving.

LCD

Dots are dead. Its gorgeous the video is full HD the graphics are super fun, overall the best feature of the table so far. Do yourself a favour and wait to see it in person before making a call, video doesn't really capture just how good it all looks. Like the code expect this to grow as the game progresses, more clips more animations more goodness. One small note, the game status is displayed in old dot style, such a cool little touch, you will love it when you see it for the first time.

SOUNDS

Really Really lacking in the call outs, which has an major impact on the game, its hard to get sucked into the world without those audio cues, the ones that are there such as the start of multi ball, are great and just have you begging for more. Again no doubt they are on their way and when they get integrated the game will jump a whole other level. Music is good each villain has there own jazzy theme and it works well. Sound is super clean from the speakers.

Overall the game is pretty easy to shoot, balls seem long, back this is compared to GB or TWD, probably the easiest playing STERN table in a while, if you get dialled in the ball can stay alive pretty easy. There where few cheap drains and the outlines are pretty forgiving. I posted a high score of 350mil or so on my second game. The rest of the games was more focused on exploring. Hard to tell much via score with the early code, but I would say 5- 10 Minute games would be standard for decent players.

Basically if I had to sum up the game I would say "watch this space" the game at the moment is really just a demo of what will be coming.That being said there are a few issues with the layout and some bricky shots, that code won't fix. I feel it would of benefitted from another couple of months in the design process. However despite everything I have said above, something just keeps saying that Lyman is going to make this game truly shine, the elements are all there for an amazing experience. Could end up being magical, time will tell....

Finally just wanted to give a shoutout to KISS from the forums who I met today for the first time. Thanks for letting me hijack your game time. It is always great to meet another member from the forums and was a lot more fun to enjoy the experience.

Timezone at coolangatta just got the Batman SLE setup today. Managed to get in half a dozen games or so.

I will give a very early first impression, but first I just want to say a big thanks to the team at timezone for their commitment and passion for pinball.

I know all pinheads on the gold coast are grateful that we have two amazing locations packed with the latest games.

I'm not going to talk price as this has been done to death, its a bloody expensive game across all models.

There is nothing in the game that would really indicate a major increase in the cost and I think this really is Stern testing the market to see how far they can push wealthy collectors.

I think the real test for Stern will be premium sales. Even with the SLE and LE sales at higher prices, Stern still needs to sell a lot of premiums to make a success of this project.

If they see strong premium sales then we will have more projects like in the future, if not it might be a one and done.

ART

Its a great looking game. The cabinet art particularly really is gorgeous. The LED is well integrated and the size works perfectly. The speakers and trim really tie the look together. The topper wasn't installed and might be shipping later based on what overseas owners have been saying. I think the topper will really make the package whole and I'm usually not fussed on toppers.

The play field is a little lacklustre compared to what we have seen from Zombie Yetti on GB or Dirty Donny on MET & yesterdays AS reveal. There is a big difference to having a single artist layout an entire package. Here the play field has a photoshopped feel. Yes there are great renderings of the main villains etc.. however they are cut and pasted into the overall background and its not as cohesive.

Play field

The play field feels a little flat next to other modern games. The ramps are pretty shallow and so you loose the sense of depth compared to say GB main Ramp or KISS love gun ramp.

Its a pretty typical Fan layout, although the left orbit feeds to a saucer, which acts as the mystery/extra-ball/TV scoop, rather then looping round, which blocks the flow a bit. Similar to the fish finder shot in FT. You need to hit the shot well to make it all the way round to this saucer, which adds a little tension when going for the shot. However the left orbit entrance is pretty open and usually quite make able. The saucer has a soft kick which feeds into the pops.

There is another saucer under the crane which acts as the penguin hole as well as the last shot needed to complete each main villain. Its a little awkward and does reject occasionally. Also it looks like you should be able to backhand it, but it never quite seemed to make it, always bouncing slightly off to the left. If it was a standard scoop, I think you could backhand. There is a nice little mini horseshoe with spinner that feeds into the same saucer just left of the crane, which is a surprising nice shot. Occasionally you will also get bounce in as the ball exits the pops. The kick out from this saucer is soft and doesn't put the ball at risk. The area of the play field also has a Governor Gordan multiple standup which I think adds multipliers to the play field. There is a lot of kick off if you hit the target cleanly which adds a little more risk as it should.

As I mentioned early the ramps are a little underwhelming, They feel nice and smooth and the balls zips through them cleanly to the corresponding flipper. However they are very safe shots due to their height if the ball is hot even semi clean, it will make the ramp. The RHS ramp can be backhanded with no issues. Due to the lack of height you won't get an easy hop over to the other flipper from either ramp so they not really any good for transferring the ball between flippers, although post passes are a super easy so not really an issue.

The gadget stand ups on the left are pretty much the same as green goblin on Spiderman VE, although due to the way the ball moves around the table they get hit fairly frequently. Got the gadget activated regularly, which lights the lockdown bar button to activate the gadget. Couldn't tell at this point if the gadgets have been coded in, however my guess based on gadgets being a major component of the show, the gadget function will end up being a lot more nuanced them simply shot bombs.

The T.V stands on the right where by far the hardest shot in the game, probably harder then the drop targets on TWD, the lower target is a bitch. I see them playing a major role in the game as code progresses.Right now lighting all three activates the T.V insert on the left orbit, making the shot to the saucer lets you choose a sub villain.Sub Villains are based off the three seasons, I'm guessing you have to activate the stand ups multiple times to unlock each season, not sure if this is per ball or if they carry over. The sub villains again will be an excellent feature when coded right.At the moment could not really tell what effect they where having on the game.

The crane is a great toy and I would like to see it used more often in the game, which I'm sure it will. Bringing it into play say as a super jackpot shot in multi ball or as a hurry up could be fun. It can be a dangerous shot in certain positions, but that the idea. Registered perfectly every hit (has to be a direct hit from the front of the ball) no issues like with slimmer on GB.

The pops are pretty standard, although one excellent feature is the use of the back plate to highlight the rollover lanes. Each lane has a corresponding bat signal which is lit just above the feed on the back plate. Works well and I can see it be used in the future. Not sure why it hasn't been used more often. The skill shot feeding to the bumpers is so so. and worth very little. Basically the shooter lane has three arrows inserts that work like mini star rollovers. When you plunge the the arrows that the ball rolls over will light a corresponding but signal at the in lanes to the bumpers. Time it so you get all three arrows and all bat signals are lit at the pops, so any lane will give the skill shot. The signals at the pops can not be cycled when skill shot mode is active. You can shoot the ball by pressing the lockdown bar button. Overall it sounds better and more nuanced then it really is. With such low rewards (a million for skin shot) I never much bothered and just fired whenever.

Thats pretty much the whole play field, expect for the TOY. Okay this doesn't really need caps as it is a much better concept then it is in practice. A lot of time and energy has gone into the spinning platform and its cool, but the speed of the spin and the fact that ever shot is still pretty much the same to this area means that it falls a little short. The magnet in front of the platform is quite weak compared to say the monger in IM or The prison magnet in TWD. Shots can brick off the standup for the phone and T.V so be careful when going for these. You going to be hitting this area a lot. The phone is used to start main villains after their corresponding shots have been completed and is a countdown, which does bring a lot of needed tension. The T.V has two stand ups to activate the lock (RHS orbit) these can be stacked so after a while playing you will find you automatically have all three locks lit. The last wedge of the platform houses the spinning batmobile. Its a fun shot but can cause ball hangups and ball search (twice in all the games a played) these searches take a longtime as the platform has to keep rotating until the spinner releases the ball.

The platform also holds the balls you have locked and releases them at multi ball. Not much fanfare here they sort of just trickle out onto the table. The platform also acts as the shot to activate Joker, any shot here will light a joker letter. Overall its a cool toy/feature and is an innovating way to make use of limited space on the play field. However it does need some tweaking.

CODE

Okay this is way to early to judge. From what I have read and heard on podcasts, Batman was rushed out to meet the end of 2016 and the 50 year anniversary, it was originally scheduled for after Aerosmith but things where swapped around. I have no doubt that Lyman will make the code into a master piece. There are all the elements for some really interesting rules and objectives, I would not be surprised if this game ends up owning it with code. I can just see the potential with the Sub-Villian/Gadgets etc... Its like it is all there laid out waiting for his magic, much more so the TWD or MET where Lyman sort of came in later in the game. Here he was directly involved with the design process, layout and inserts, I have no doubt he has a vision for this game and is probably pretty bummed it has been released so early, just the vibe I got from watching the Dead flip stream. As of now the code is super bare and not intuitive at all. The shot inserts seem to be used for multiple modes at once with no clear direction to draw the players focus. The sub-villains have no clear impact on the game, same with the gadget belt. Multi ball is a joke, all main shots are continuously lit and active for jackpot as long as two or more balls are in play thats it. In fact I had no real desire to make multi ball after the first couple of times. There are no mini multi balls are any sort of fanfare from completing main villains. There are combos and a see these being an important component moving forward, couldn't tell exactly how the stack as did not have enough games yet, will focus on them a bit more in the coming days when I get to explore the table a further. All of the above is pretty much a non starter as this is a game that will get amazing code and for now it works as an intro to the table. Hell its .056 at the moment so a longways to go. I won't speculate on the timeframe for code updates etc.. however expect it to take some time and a lot of updates until things start really moving.

LCD

Dots are dead. Its gorgeous the video is full HD the graphics are super fun, overall the best feature of the table so far. Do yourself a favour and wait to see it in person before making a call, video doesn't really capture just how good it all looks. Like the code expect this to grow as the game progresses, more clips more animations more goodness. One small note, the game status is displayed in old dot style, such a cool little touch, you will love it when you see it for the first time.

SOUNDS

Really Really lacking in the call outs, which has an major impact on the game, its hard to get sucked into the world without those audio cues, the ones that are there such as the start of multi ball, are great and just have you begging for more. Again no doubt they are on their way and when they get integrated the game will jump a whole other level. Music is good each villain has there own jazzy theme and it works well. Sound is super clean from the speakers.

Overall the game is pretty easy to shoot, balls seem long, back this is compared to GB or TWD, probably the easiest playing STERN table in a while, if you get dialled in the ball can stay alive pretty easy. There where few cheap drains and the outlines are pretty forgiving. I posted a high score of 350mil or so on my second game. The rest of the games was more focused on exploring. Hard to tell much via score with the early code, but I would say 5- 10 Minute games would be standard for decent players.

Basically if I had to sum up the game I would say "watch this space" the game at the moment is really just a demo of what will be coming.That being said there are a few issues with the layout and some bricky shots, that code won't fix. I feel it would of benefitted from another couple of months in the design process. However despite everything I have said above, something just keeps saying that Lyman is going to make this game truly shine, the elements are all there for an amazing experience. Could end up being magical, time will tell....

Finally just wanted to give a shoutout to KISS from the forums who I met today for the first time. Thanks for letting me hijack your game time. It is always great to meet another member from the forums and was a lot more fun to enjoy the experience.

Thanks for the review , well done .

ART

Play field

CODE

LCD

SOUNDS

Great review. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the likes and feedback guys. I'll be heading backdown tonight around 7:30 if anyone local is keen to meet up for some games. I'll update the thread if I find anything else worth mentioning in the game.

With AS expected to be shipping end of February it's a great start to the year for new pinball. I think 2017 is going to one busy year....

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade