• Enraged
  • Embarrased
  • Drunk
  • Down
  • Depressed
  • Crying
  • Crazy
  • Cool
  • Cocky
  • Bemused
  • Awesome
  • Annoyed
  • Angry
  • Amused
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 345

    Thread: The Poor Man's DOF (Tactile Feedback)

    1. #1
      RustyCardores is offline
      is having a "topper"
      day!
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      State
      Queensland
      Posts
      272
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      61 Post(s)
      Australia

      The Poor Man's DOF (Tactile Feedback)

      ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
      If you like this Drunken Idea, be sure to check out my 'Virtual Pinball Toppers' at http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...Pinball-Topper
      ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************



      *PLEASE NOTE: This thread covers the evolution of Poor Man's DOF (Sound Driven Tactile Feedback), please read to the end, as the PMD found there is far more advanced and effective that what you will find early in this thread.

      Also, I will update this section with users's PMD reviews as they come in, rather than having you hunt for them through the thread....

      1: 18mm High Density MDF - "Could be better. Too dense for really good vibe transmission. Exciter placement is critical." (Reported by @RustyCardores)
      2: 16 or 18mm Pine (custom lockdown bar) - "Brilliant! Transmits every vibe from the smallest ball rolling to the loudest bumper. Hands on the actual vibe plate is extremely effective." (Reported by @RustyCardores)
      3: Plywood (23 year old Judge Dredd) - "Excellent! JayCar Amp and Exciters mounted on side under flipper buttons." (Reported by @Jed)
      4: Plywood (original F-14 cab with Dayton Exciters) - "WHAT AN EFFECT ! You can feel every bump, droptarget, kicker, and such, it's just great !" (Reported by @Nemo)
      5: 16mm MDF - "I'm using a 16mm MDF CAB and and didn't expect much feel, but F#%cking amaze balls it feels real." (Reported by @DalasJ)

      And for those of you who couldn't be stuffed reading this thread and just want to jump right in boots 'n all, here is my personal shopping list for the parts needed... (Most parts listed are from Jaycar Australia, but our international readers should easily be able to find matching products from local suppliers. Google is your friend!)

      2 x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lepy...766364677.html
      4 (5 if you want one under the lockdown) x https://www.jaycar.com.au/70mm-flat-...eaker/p/AS3039
      1 x https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-paper-co...range/p/CW2190 (or https://www.jaycar.com.au/5-paper-co...range/p/CW2192 if you have space and a little more $)
      1 x https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-5mm-ster...aptor/p/PA3582 (or the lead equivalent)
      2 x https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-5mm-ster...-1-5m/p/WA7014
      Plus some speaker wire and a bit of timber to mount the audio sub (bracket it off the back of the cab or run it across from both sides... whatever works in your cab)

      Change from $200... how much will depend on what stuff you have laying around. I have heaps of RCA leads/splitters/speaker wire/timber from projects over the years and that has allowed me to keep things around the $150-160 mark.


      *** PMD Scripts Mods (Table sound & balance tweaks to suit PMD configured pinCabs) are available at http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/categories/pmd-sound-driven-tactile-feedback/

      ---------------------------------------------
      Original Post:

      Doing an update on my vPinCab's tactile feedback today and thought some of you may like to see it.

      Not having the $$$$ (or the will) to venture down the full on DOF route, I use a Boombox vibration sound driver mounted under my custom lockbar. Until today, I had one driver mounted in the middle, but I have now moved it to the side under my left hand and added a second Boombox under my right (used a 2x splitter on the TV audio out). This of course increases the amount of feedback that I feel.

      Mechanical sounds have been separated from music/voice in VP's audio options and these are supplied the playfield TV and then on to the Boomboxes.

      Boombox units (aka X-Vibe3) can be found online (China) for as little as $20 free delivery and they can be installed in less than a minute. If you have been wanting feedback, but are like me and $$$ or motivation has stopped you installing DOF, then I can recommend this method as a cheap & easy alternative.

      It really is quite effective.... I feel every bump of the ball, I feel the flippers activate, hell I even feel the ball rolling on the table... and I don't think DOF even goes that far does it?

      The only issue I see for some, is the sound itself. Boomboxes will turn anything into a speaker, but the sound will vary with the material used. Mine sounds great on a timber lockbar, but stainless may sound different. So I wouldn't rule out the need of laminating a bit of ply under the stainless to adjust the sound. #experiment

      Cheers

      Rusty

      Boom1.jpg
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by RustyCardores; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:41 AM.

    2. #2
      OzStick's Avatar
      OzStick is offline Home Arcade Solutions
      is waay deep into Virtual
      Pinballing
       
      Meh
       

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      State
      Croydon, VIC
      Posts
      1,842
      Mentioned
      68 Post(s)
      Quoted
      282 Post(s)
      Excellent idea - I might try it out on my test rig with the view to possibly stocking them for the very purpose you suggest. All good to those who want to go the whole hog with contactors, solenoids, shakers, full on DOF etc but this is a simple and CHEAP alternative for those either not interested in that level of complexity, or just wanting to dip their toes first.

      I really like your combo lockdown bar/control panel too. How is it held in place?

    3. #3
      RustyCardores is offline
      is having a "topper"
      day!
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      State
      Queensland
      Posts
      272
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      61 Post(s)
      Australia

      Quote Originally Posted by OzStick View Post
      Excellent idea - I might try it out on my test rig with the view to possibly stocking them for the very purpose you suggest. All good to those who want to go the whole hog with contactors, solenoids, shakers, full on DOF etc but this is a simple and CHEAP alternative for those either not interested in that level of complexity, or just wanting to dip their toes first.

      I really like your combo lockdown bar/control panel too. How is it held in place?
      It's a good alternative to full DOF and as I mentioned, it's effective at covering the vibrations too minor for DOF to handle, so it may be something that you could run alongside DOF as well.

      The lockdown is routed to sit over the cab sides and as seen in the underside pic, there are two stops that prevent it moving backwards.

      It's then held in place by two springs that get pulled down inside to hooks either side of my coin door.

      I was going to screw it in place from the inside, but decided on this quick release method.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    4. #4
      RustyCardores is offline
      is having a "topper"
      day!
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      State
      Queensland
      Posts
      272
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      61 Post(s)
      Australia

      Quote Originally Posted by RustyCardores View Post
      It's a good alternative to full DOF and as I mentioned, it's effective at covering the vibrations too minor for DOF to handle, so it may be something that you could run alongside DOF as well.

      The lockdown is routed to sit over the cab sides and as seen in the underside pic, there are two stops that prevent it moving backwards.

      It's then held in place by two springs that get pulled down inside to hooks either side of my coin door.

      I was going to screw it in place from the inside, but decided on this quick release method.

      EDIT: there are other larger vibration drivers that you could use. I went with these because I had them just sitting around.

      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. #5
      Jed's Avatar
      Jed is offline
      is on the way to Venus
       
      Happy
       

      Join Date
      May 2009
      State
      Confusion
      Posts
      4,636
      Mentioned
      85 Post(s)
      Quoted
      942 Post(s)
      Czech Republic
      I missed this thread, nice idea. I might try a couple of those in conjunction with my flipper activated solenoids, and not have to worry about all the coding needed for DOF.

      To me, that's the biggest issue - all the retrospective DOF coding and replacement tables needed to accommodate full F/feedback hardware.

      Seems to me use a couple of these as you have used them in conjunction with some easy flipper activated solenoids (also a small cost) and you needn't worry about code...always the most annoying and time consuming bit!

    6. #6
      RustyCardores is offline
      is having a "topper"
      day!
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      State
      Queensland
      Posts
      272
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      61 Post(s)
      Australia

      Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
      I missed this thread, nice idea. I might try a couple of those in conjunction with my flipper activated solenoids, and not have to worry about all the coding needed for DOF.

      To me, that's the biggest issue - all the retrospective DOF coding and replacement tables needed to accommodate full F/feedback hardware.

      Seems to me use a couple of these as you have used them in conjunction with some easy flipper activated solenoids (also a small cost) and you needn't worry about code...always the most annoying and time consuming bit!
      I'm now running these along with a sub just for the lower tones. Together they provide a nice alternative. Little bumps as the ball hits things and vibrations on wire ramps etc.... I can feel them all.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    7. #7
      Jed's Avatar
      Jed is offline
      is on the way to Venus
       
      Happy
       

      Join Date
      May 2009
      State
      Confusion
      Posts
      4,636
      Mentioned
      85 Post(s)
      Quoted
      942 Post(s)
      Czech Republic
      Quote Originally Posted by RustyCardores View Post
      I'm now running these along with a sub just for the lower tones. Together they provide a nice alternative. Little bumps as the ball hits things and vibrations on wire ramps etc.... I can feel them all.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


      Could you please send a link to the products ? I am defintiely going to do this on my cab.

    8. #8
      RustyCardores is offline
      is having a "topper"
      day!
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      State
      Queensland
      Posts
      272
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      61 Post(s)
      Australia

      Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
      Could you please send a link to the products ? I am defintiely going to do this on my cab.
      aliexpress.com and search "xvibe3" or "x-vibe3". They are the same as the Aussie Boombox3 but at 1/2 the price.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    9. #9
      OzStick's Avatar
      OzStick is offline Home Arcade Solutions
      is waay deep into Virtual
      Pinballing
       
      Meh
       

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      State
      Croydon, VIC
      Posts
      1,842
      Mentioned
      68 Post(s)
      Quoted
      282 Post(s)
      I'm yet to test this but I'm wondering how they all hook up to PC - are they USB or do they need to be connected to the audio out from the soundcard?

    10. #10
      RustyCardores is offline
      is having a "topper"
      day!
       
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      State
      Queensland
      Posts
      272
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      61 Post(s)
      Australia

      Quote Originally Posted by OzStick View Post
      I'm yet to test this but I'm wondering how they all hook up to PC - are they USB or do they need to be connected to the audio out from the soundcard?
      Audio from your secondary sound device (be it card, USB sound card or Playfield TV's audio out) using 3.5mm audio jack.

      Power comes from USB. Can be from computer, power board or regular phone charger type USB plugged into your power board.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •