• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Poor Man's DOF (Tactile Feedback)

is NOT so new!

Awesome

State
      Australia, Melbourne
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Quoted
      11 Post(s)

So read this thread Friday, after speaking to Chris from @ozistick, Jaycar yesterday, tonight OMFG.

I'm using a 16mm MDF CAB and and didn't expect much feel, but F#%cking amaze balls it feels real.

RUSTY this is amazing considering how real it feels.

Having a little problem getting my music again through the front speakers, but I'm sure I'll figure that out.

Gotta say I won't be bothering with under table mechanic using DOF.

PMD PMD PMD just do it!

is seeing flashes of light!

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      57 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DallasJ View Post
      So read this thread Friday, after speaking to Chris from @ozistick, Jaycar yesterday, tonight OMFG.

I'm using a 16mm MDF CAB and and didn't expect much feel, but F#%cking amaze balls it feels real.

RUSTY this is amazing considering how real it feels.

Having a little problem getting my music again through the front speakers, but I'm sure I'll figure that out.

Gotta say I won't be bothering with under table mechanic using DOF.

PMD PMD PMD just do it!
      There is a quirk in VP when it comes to music from the /Music folder.... Make sure that your regular/backbox speakers for music are the "Default" audio device in Windows. Then in VP's audio preferences, select that device as "Primary Sound Device" NOT the device's actual name.

Super stoked we have another happy PMD'er

is NOT so new!

Awesome

State
      Australia, Melbourne
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Quoted
      11 Post(s)
      Ah that might be it, I don't think I have set that in windows then. I was playing dirty harry and getting both music and table sounds via the exciters. I turned the music off to just test it.

I really gotta say I didn't think it'd actually work as well as it does. Even my wife asked how it works.

I'm just using 3 exciters, either flipper button and one at the back of my cabinet for base. A little super base HongXing amp and away it went.

Really good job Rusty and looking forwarded to the tuned tables.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      57 Post(s)
      Australia

Looks like a trip to Jaycar for some exciters and a sub woofer is in order.

The amps for pincab 2 have just been delivered by the postie.

It's only using 2 amps, the third is to update the sub in pincab 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OzStick is offline Home Arcade Solutions
      is waay deep into Virtual
      Pinballing

Meh

State
      Croydon, VIC
      Mentioned
      58 Post(s)
      Quoted
      274 Post(s)
      OK, I finally got around to hooking up PMD to my testbench. It's basically an open frame with 2 shelves - PC, powerboard, cables etc on the bottom shelf and everything else on the top. I had a 200mm x 200mm of 6mm MDF in the top corner of each side panel to mount flipper buttons in and a 6mm MDF panel across the front that extends 200mm down with all the other buttons and a plunger mounted into it. It was done this way to leave it very open so it's easy to swap PCs and other components.

I replaced the 2 little side panels with 9mm Ply panels 300mm wide that go from the top right down to the bottom shelf. I have a flipper button and a MagnaSave button mounted in each with a Jaycar Exciter mounted onto the Ply panel directly below the buttons. the exciters are hooked up to a Lepy 838 Amp which then connects to the PC via a cheap-ass USB sound card.

All I can say is WOW! For a total outlay of $65 this is an astoundingly effective and satisfying mod. My setup needs some tweaking as the exciters sound a bit too drummy and hollow, which i think is to do with the ply resonating too much as it's only 9mm thick, along with the open nature of my test bench. Also, my main speakers are tiny, feeble internal speakers in my backglass monitor so the sound is about as unbalanced as you can get. But it's still SOOOOOOO good!!!

I'll do some tinkering and add a pic or two of my installation so it (hopefully) makes sense, so expect another post from me "soon".

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      57 Post(s)
      Australia

The Poor Man's DOF (Tactile Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by OzStick View Post
      OK, I finally got around to hooking up PMD to my testbench. It's basically an open frame with 2 shelves - PC, powerboard, cables etc on the bottom shelf and everything else on the top. I had a 200mm x 200mm of 6mm MDF in the top corner of each side panel to mount flipper buttons in and a 6mm MDF panel across the front that extends 200mm down with all the other buttons and a plunger mounted into it. It was done this way to leave it very open so it's easy to swap PCs and other components.

I replaced the 2 little side panels with 9mm Ply panels 300mm wide that go from the top right down to the bottom shelf. I have a flipper button and a MagnaSave button mounted in each with a Jaycar Exciter mounted onto the Ply panel directly below the buttons. the exciters are hooked up to a Lepy 838 Amp which then connects to the PC via a cheap-ass USB sound card.

All I can say is WOW! For a total outlay of $65 this is an astoundingly effective and satisfying mod. My setup needs some tweaking as the exciters sound a bit too drummy and hollow, which i think is to do with the ply resonating too much as it's only 9mm thick, along with the open nature of my test bench. Also, my main speakers are tiny, feeble internal speakers in my backglass monitor so the sound is about as unbalanced as you can get. But it's still SOOOOOOO good!!!

I'll do some tinkering and add a pic or two of my installation so it (hopefully) makes sense, so expect another post from me "soon".
      Glad you are finding it effective. Sound results will vary with timber used and the size of that timber, not just in thickness but also in area.

Thankfully though, cabs are reasonably uniform in size and 16mm ply quite commonly used. So while there will always be variation, I think this can for the most part be overcome by adding the equaliser software that I linked above.

But back to the test bed.... with my cab, even adding the glass makes quite a difference, as it "completes the speaker box" and the sound becomes more natural.

Time for a full cab perhaps ??

Wob is online now Oobedoob Benubi
      This user has no status.

----

State
      Newcastle, NSW
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      5 Post(s)
      Hey Guys,

Just after some advice, I am currently in the design stage of a couple of mini virtual cabs for a friend and I. Looking at 27" inch playfields with 22" Backglass and a pin2dmd.

We are planning to implement PMD, I have ordered a couple of Lepy-838 amps, as the cabinets are small, and space is of a premium we are only looking at a "lite" version.

The actual sound in the system will come via 2 x 4" 2-way Speakers and a 8" Sub (running on a LP-168), we did this rather than PC speaker setup one again due to space, mostly in the back box.

Anyway my questings are;

Do you think we will benefit from a "sub" exciter, or should we just stick to a left\right exciter?

We were planning on 19mm ply for the build, will this still work nicely with the exciters or should we stick with 16mm?

Thanks,
      Wob

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      57 Post(s)
      Australia

The Poor Man's DOF (Tactile Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Wob View Post
      Hey Guys,

Just after some advice, I am currently in the design stage of a couple of mini virtual cabs for a friend and I. Looking at 27" inch playfields with 22" Backglass and a pin2dmd.

We are planning to implement PMD, I have ordered a couple of Lepy-838 amps, as the cabinets are small, and space is of a premium we are only looking at a "lite" version.

The actual sound in the system will come via 2 x 4" 2-way Speakers and a 8" Sub (running on a LP-168), we did this rather than PC speaker setup one again due to space, mostly in the back box.

Anyway my questings are;

Do you think we will benefit from a "sub" exciter, or should we just stick to a left\right exciter?

We were planning on 19mm ply for the build, will this still work nicely with the exciters or should we stick with 16mm?

Thanks,
      Wob
      Check the list of reviews on page one of this thread, as there may be a user review of 19mm ply there?

With regard to the sub exciter, I personally think you need something down the back of the cab to help add balance to the sound. Without it the sound can appear to come from too far forward. The aim is to give the impression that the sound is coming from the table itself.

So you can run either a third exciter (in the middle of the backwall) off the amp's sub output, or my preference, run a small audio sub down there for a stronger base sound.

Wob is online now Oobedoob Benubi
      This user has no status.

----

State
      Newcastle, NSW
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      5 Post(s)
      Thanks for the reply, doesn't seem to be any mention of 19mm, might stick with 16mm just to be sure.

I will have the 8" Sound sub up the back, and as it's a mini cab not enough room for a second sub, so I think I will stick with a 3rd exciter on the backwall as you mention.

I'll report back when we get them running.

Thanks,
      Wob

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      57 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Wob View Post
      Thanks for the reply, doesn't seem to be any mention of 19mm, might stick with 16mm just to be sure.

I will have the 8" Sound sub up the back, and as it's a mini cab not enough room for a second sub, so I think I will stick with a 3rd exciter on the backwall as you mention.

I'll report back when we get them running.

Thanks,
      Wob
      What about a 4 inch sub speaker like I listed? The raw speaker (no box) wouldn't take up much space. I'm thinking it could mount direct to the back wall just using spacers??

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread Information