Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

IJ - Grail pin restore

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only just discovered this thread and looking forward to the outcome. Nice BoP restoration by the way :)

Are you going to clearcoat this playfield after the touch-ups?

I’m still new to this, but I discovered the hard way that if you keep going with the magic eraser on the ball swirls, you will eventually go through the base colour.

If clear coating, then maybe get one coat down to seal and level and you could use frisket to airbrush the orange and yellow areas (also doing words Willie & Marion), light clearcoat again and either repair the pre-scanned halftones in photoshop, or use a halftone template and apply with waterslides decals before final clearcoats.

Could also do this with his shirt and open shirt skin colour, up to his chin.

I’ve never done halftones yet, but read some good results on Vid’s Guides.

Lot of work, but will turn out nice.

http://www.artscene.com.au/shopping/airbrushes/masking-film/frisket-masking-film

http://www.decalpaper.com.au/

Good luck :023:

Thanks!

Definitely clear coating.

I have about as much luck colour matching in photoshop as I do with real paint ;), AND you gotta remember that the colour you are matching is already sealed with a clear coat.

If you match it perfect before applying a clear then the newly painted area will darken slightly once cleared, potentially mismatching the colours! <_< .

I decided to bite the bullet and try and respray the yellow ball swirl area's, I felt I may be able to use the air brush to blend the colours in together (concentrate the brush in the problem area, but taper it off as it moves away from this area).

At the end of the day if it doesn't look any good you can just wipe it off and try again.

I also though why just do one at a time, if I have the paint mixed and gun out I may as well attempt both, if it works then job done, if not no big deal..

First to put down the frisket and mark out the area's..

AgwOH7c.jpg

mask up the area's so no overspray issues..

NqvIgQR.jpg

Painting done, the worst of the two pf's is on the left which had four effected yellow area's, the other had two..

YzbB2qa.jpg

and some closeup's..

TFiEIdj.jpg

Xq9Ak17.jpg

You can notice a slight difference, but dont forget that you want the touch up colour to be ever so slightly lighter then the original so it matches when clearing. The best way I have found to test this is the pour some Shellite onto the area. I use Shellite as it does not react to the paints I use (water based acrylic's, this may be different for others?), but dont touch any painted area's though as it may soften the paint. I also wouldn't advise doing it repeatedly either.

With Shellite acting as a kind of clear coat (you can see the edges of where the shellite ran to notice the difference). I have also touched up the insert key lines as well, just with a brush..

I only did this on the worst of the two pf's to check the matching, I gotta say, I am pretty happy with it :D !

TbEsh8U.jpg

rA3a7xK.jpg

Before and after.

1J7Vzd8.jpg

Will put this aside now until the Indy decal arrives.

Need to do key lines on the other one now..

Edited by FLEX

Had some time to do a bit on the pf's, just cleaning out holes, shooter lane, going over keylines, and replacing a stuffed insert.

You never know how the shooter lane will come up, this one was surprisingly good after cleaning and a sand..

HTdHjLm.jpg

This is what happens when 'Goo off' gets under the original clear trying to get the mylar off, this could only happen because the clear had separated from the insert and formed an air pocket. I guess I was kind of lucky this didn’t need a decal..

9mygFDL.jpg

Remove insert using a bit of heat from a heat gun, a socket, and a hammer (hitting on the back of it). Make sure to go around the insert first with a hobby knife so artwork doesnt tear (try and keep in the black keyline area so its easier to touch up late). Then clean any old glue out of the socket socket..

oVG5m7e.jpg

Loctite Gel Super Glue at the ready..

vVvnnZH.jpg

New insert installed..

5MTnkpV.jpg

Now to frisket and paint in key lines (with a brush)..

XFlcgX5.jpg

Done..

kEVlZVr.jpg

Using my Dremel I went around any holes, slots, grooves, anything that needed cleaning out before clearing.

Then a very light go over with some 600 grit paper and she is ready for first coat..

ZzvAV9e.jpg

Back onto not so good pf.

Looks like someone had used glue to try and fix the plane above the idol lock, the only thing was they didn’t remove the plane first so a big drop of glue had dripped onto the pf.

It may not have been so obvious had the pf been clean before it happened, unfortunately it wasn’t, so it trapped a heap of crap under it. At first I didn’t think it would be difficult to clean off, but nothing seemed to make a dint. Other then grind it off there was no other way. It must have been Araldite or something cause it was like glass! In the end I was back to bare timber so had to use the air brush.

HoDDy2Q.jpg

jZT0TF2.jpg

7k8tIul.jpg

I was intending on cleaning up this pf as well but unfortunately my Dremel stopped working (hopefully just needs brushes) so that put a halt to proceedings.

Hope to be clear coating next weekend.

Edited by FLEX

My Indy decal arrived and im not very happy with it, the reprint of his shirt is spot on, but his skin colour looks terrible (picture doesn’t really show it), and is also very grainy. Looks like the resolution just isn’t there. The colours and artwork underneath him wont lineup or match the pf either, grrr..

WpTvraB.jpg

After some deliberation I decided I will use the decal shirt area’s, but touchup the rest myself. The washed out brown colour was a b*tch to match with what I had, but im happy enough with it. I will clear the pf before applying the decal, just to give it a nice smooth surface to attach too and as I will be doing it using detergent so I can line it up properly I don’t want to ruin my touchups. The last pic in this row has a splash of shellite over it to see how it might look under clearcoat.

NPRxaUK.jpg

Well the Dremel was cactus so had to go buy a new one, oh well, cant complain about how long the old one went for, man it did some work!

Finished cleaning up both pf’s now, you can get some great little bits for the Dremel to clean out the slots and holes.

Onto the mini pf’s, they don’t get anywhere near the amount of ball movement as the main ones so they should be pretty good ontop, under may be a different story though. This is the flood victim underside..

MNaq8OW.jpg

I will strip all this off and clean it up after I clear it. The other pf was clean underneath.

Just have to give them a clean up and prep them for clear, should be pretty quick… Oh what’s this, some mylar over the top inserts, hope it comes off ok…

lFwZT7G.jpg

NOPE!!

Mylar took off part of the decal and clear coat (left one in picture), so a 5 minute job just turned into a half hour one.. I was very careful not to let any Goo off touch the insert (maybe not being so liberal with the stuff is what lifted the decal and clear to begin with, will never know :/ ) Anyway repair as usual..

GDpAagx.jpg

bnypFQC.jpg

Splash of Shellite to see how it will look under clear..

2OJrtU3.jpg

All pf touch up’s (first stage anyway) completed and prepped for first clear.

mlFG18A.jpg

I always get a bit nervous before clearing. I don’t have a booth or anything so its all done outside, which means there are a lot of variables to take into account - weather, wind, bugs, dust.. Just have to cross your fingers and hope things go to plan. Weather forecast was good but would have to get done early to beat the wind blowing up.

Once spraying is done I get everything back in the shed asap and close up all the doors.

Pretty happy with the first coat, noticed I was a bit light on down the middle of one of them, but being the first coat it will be ok. All touchups will be locked in which is the main point.

Expected as such, but this has highlighted the shooter lane on one of them (flood victim) will need to be sprayed, already have a simple design in mind (same as the FT I did previous).

Will let the clear cure for a week or two now..

kf8khH8.jpg

tfMigkj.jpg

Edited by FLEX

Snuck in a little bit of Indy time tonight, just to get the decal set in place. Just used what I wanted here so trimmed out the shirt and applied.

As these are printed on white backing I went around the edges with some black paint and a brush afterwards, otherwise you will possibly see the white edge later on. It blends into the original finish better also I think. Just need to air brush the bad neck area’s back in (colour matching, yikes!), but will most likely need to clear over the decal first as to not run the risk of lifting it when removing frisket (guess I did this ass about lol!)..

DqDbuO9.jpg

Edited by FLEX

Interesting, How durable is the decal to the ball friction over time, or do you just replace it when you start to see wear coming back?

Or do you then Mylar over the lot and let it run another ten years. :unsure

Looking very good though mate I must say.

Its not finished yet! ;)

After air brushing the still visible wear areas I will be clearing it at least another 2-3 times (leveling off the pf at the same time). After this it will never wear ever again!

• 3 weeks later...

Some more work done, number one thing today was just getting Indy back into shape with some final touches. Ended up mixing Peach with Yellow to match his skin colour and fix up the wear area’s still remaining. Very happy with the results.

I mixed the colour and then sucked it up into a syringe so it doesnt set whilst I prepare for painting.

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o785/davidtheverygood/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_20170311_121202_zpsrprkzxv3.jpg

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o785/davidtheverygood/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_20170311_123511_zpsrjvdk2dm.jpg

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o785/davidtheverygood/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_20170311_130528_zpsegrtezhl.jpg

After doing some minor tidying up with some sand paper and hobby knife its time to drop some SHellite on to see how it should look under clear.

Moment of truth!!

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o785/davidtheverygood/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_20170311_133323_zpsmnyenqqe.jpg

All I can say is I am very, very happy. I actually cant stop looking at the pic’s I am so happy with how it came out 

Here is a before and after.

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o785/davidtheverygood/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_20170204_1518552_zpstl3ptgzr.jpg

Come to think of it, maybe I will revisit the brown rope colour underneath him again, but after another clear coat…

• 2 weeks later...
A bit of background on this machine - This is actually the final project machine in a trilogy of pins I acquired due to the floods in QLD around 5? years ago. The HSII and FT listed above, with this IJ, where all at the same location when the floods hit. All these machines had water lines that looked to go about half way up the cab, completely destroying the lower cab and leaving the pf hardware and components in a terrible mess.

The water presence is noticeable with the pics taken under the pf, with major corrosion on all mechanisms and light sockets.

At least you had something to save there. Unlike the IJ @ 1:16 in this video.

I reckon it'd pretty much be dust about now. :cry

Whoa! That is trashed!

Any idea where this was? Looks like it was abandoned after a cyclone or something.

Sent from my Pixel using Aussie Arcade mobile app

It's on Hachijo Island, off the coast of Japan. https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Hachij%C5%8D-jima/@33.1026012,139.7288041,6z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x601571951aa21b53:0xfaa88222dc5d585f!8m2!3d33.1030212!4d139.8035566

There's a blog about it here > https://abandonedkansai.com/2014/10/23/arcade-machine-hotel/

- - - Updated - - -

That is cruel..... poor bastard just posts a vid of his new games room and you bag it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Gomen nasai. :redface Kiwo gaisuru tumori ha nakatta.

Edited by sparkythepinmonkey

Dealing with the shooter lane on the bad one was not working out how I had planned. The grooves in the timber grain had stained over time, and where two deep to sand out. I was always going to paint the shooter lane in, but felt if I paint straight over these grooves you would still see them through the paint. I decided I will have to use filler to level it off first, sand and then paint the lane in. It worked out looking pretty good.

aqzMO01.jpg

kSl6GhP.jpg

After hours going over each pf inch by inch looking for any issue’s, checking keylines, checking insert levels, and sanding everything back with 600 grit (I do this dry to save the mess) its onto a second clear..

I decided to do this inside my shed rather then outside so I could control the environment better. Apart from filling the shed with KBS I am really happy with how it went down. Only grabbed a couple of quick snaps with the camera as I didn’t want to tempt fate by hanging around in the shed (the thought of dropping my phone onto one of the pf’s crossed my mind).

Bad pf (Still calling it this for reference only as it looks pretty damn good now :D )

t2XyIxm.jpg

Yep, Indy back to his former glory!

6x69SAv.jpg

dTYSgGw.jpg

Good pf..

uFi5NXJ.jpg

FznYpSr.jpg

Edited by FLEX

• 9 months later...

So, after a very big hiatus with my IJ projects I am finally coming back to them (cant believe its been nearly a year!).

The best part is that during this break we had a new house built, which obviously has a games room and a brand new workshop!! Moved in just before Christmas and have just found the workshop floor now I have had a chance to sort things out.

I did have the playfields given a final clearcoat by a professional as I just couldn’t get the finish I wanted. Aside from the bugs, I kept getting hundreds of bubbles and unknown crap in the clear, I later put this down to gunked up spray gear and possibly old KBS clear..

Just noticed all my Photobucket pic’s are offline so will try and get that sorted and start putting up regular updates

Excellent. Was only wondering the other day what was happening with this project.

Re Photobucket. If you google "photobucket embeded fix" you can install a fix in your browser that will display the images.

Excellent. Was only wondering the other day what was happening with this project.

Re Photobucket. If you google "photobucket embeded fix" you can install a fix in your browser that will display the images.

Thanks Jono.

So this fixes the image displaying for everyone, or just your own device?

Sent from my Pixel using Aussie Arcade mobile app

So began installing hardware and mech's to underside of p/f. Threw the wiring loom in the dishwasher and it cleaned it up really nice.

Slowly but surely installing the loom and remembering where everything goes..

IMG_20180128_114157.thumb.jpg.1389bfbeefd30c12553785aaf7aceac7.jpg

IMG_20180128_145145.thumb.jpg.d83909d16c5f5a8d73cddfee24aa7ba5.jpg

This might seem like a dumb question, but how do you stop the water being drawn in beneath the insulation of the wires and causing corrosion? ... what method do you use to dry them out,and prevent oxidisation inside the wires?

Just wondering. I wiped mine down with a (not very) damp cloth. Then isopropyl alcohol with a brush on connectors.

Dishwasher certainly sounds easier, but does it still preserve things for the long run?