Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Back from the stone age.

• Super Moderator

Apparently Windows 10 is like a torrent - in that you seed others updates and so on..

Whenever we connect and do updates to a Win10 machine here at the office, it sucks the crapper out of our already woeful internet speed.

I turned off the updates but it still seems to be busy in the back ground. There must be a back door for the NSA, FBI & McDonalds to do their thing.. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

7GB??? Jesus, that's already the stone age :)

That's all we get here NO NBN

• Administrators
I turned off the updates but it still seems to be busy in the back ground. There must be a back door for the NSA, FBI & McDonalds to do their thing.. :lol

A shitload of telemetry data is being sent to MS.

Turn all that crap off. Plenty of tools on the internet for that.

Brad

A shitload of telemetry data is being sent to MS.

Turn all that crap off. Plenty of tools on the internet for that.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

Links for recommendations please ?

My ol faithful toshiba died :(

I am taking delivery of a new HP Spectre x360 laptop this week running 10

Appreciate any leads

Cheers,

Ando

• Administrators

A quick way although not guaranteed to do everything is to do the following:

1. Hold down the Windows key and tap the R key

2. In the box that opens type ?services.msc? and press the Enter key

3. In the ?Services (Local)? section locate ?Connected User Experiences and Telemetry? and double-click it

4. In the ?Service status? section click ?Stop?

5. Under the ?Startup type? drop down menu select ?Disabled? and then confirm this and close the window by clicking ?OK?

There are a number of tools that do this and more such as:

A good one is: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

The problem is that Microsoft keeps changing things and releasing "updates" that change a lot of this so you need to keep on top of it.

/Start Rant/

Also if you think not updating to Windows 10 will save you think again. Most of these updates have been back-ported to Windows 8 and 7. Think screw this my Mac shits all over Winblows anyway, think again. OSX has been doing this for years and you probably didn't know. Even Ubuntu has gotten in on the act with the later Gnome UI's.

Don't get me started on your phones whether Android or IOS. EVERY time you install an app, pretty much every licence agreement you accept explicitly states that you grant access to your contacts, messages, photos etc. That's why I laugh every time someone "hacks" a service and uploads private nudes from people phones or cloud services. No good whinging, you already gave all of these services unrestricted access and even worse when you use their "cloud" services to back your shit up.

"Poor me, I took nudies of myself on my phone to send to my boyfriend only"

No that's what you thought you did. What you really did was take a nudie on your phone which you DON'T own the operating system on. The phone where you granted Facebook, Apple, Google, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Candy Crush and every other damn thing you've installed access to pretty much ALL data you keep on there. You then also elected to use Google Sync or iCloud or Dropbox to backup all your nudes to THEIR servers extending what's called the chain of trust. Who's got access to all of this now huh? Companies, developers and potentially everyone associated with all of these services including the pimply faced goon who wrote the latest iteration of Flappy Bird.

Gee you're paranoid Brad, where's your tin-foil hat

Nope, I've spent 25 years in I.T., I know how this shit works, how it can be changed and the potential for shenanigans is huge. Google how many leaks have happened in the last 2 years or so.

/Rant Over/

Brad

Here's something strange, I just installed shutup-10 & ran it. Good program, Anyway I rebooted my laptop with win 10 & the "Activation Required" watermark on the lower right hand side is gone. YEAH! An unexpected bonus. Edited by Gemini2544