Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

1962 Gotlieb ball release issue

Rob1966

Question

Hi all i am having a few issues with the ball release on my gotlieb covergirl and was hoping someone else with a similar vintage push up gotlieb may be able to help.

A few weeks ago when the machine was turned on and the credit button pushed to activate the machine the coil that releases the balls from the trough to play a game stopped activating, so i tried adjusting the contacts that are assosiated with that coil and i managed to get it working however the coil now stays energised and keeps activating when the ball activates switches on the playfield. I know the contacts have some part to play with the problem but i just cant seem to get it right, from the bottom they must have to be closed and when the coil is activated the cam on the piviot lifts up and open the centre and top contact and with this i thought that would de-energise the coil to release but it doesnt so now i have just about given up, anyone have any ideas?

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll177/puss1966/DSC043481_zpsc3qtvuvi.jpg

just trying to understand your problems.....if the ball release coil 'stays' energised how does it 'keep activating'?

Do you hear the coil drop out and then hear it pull in as a result from 'some' playfield switches?

Have you checked your 4th & 5th ball contacts?

Sometimes and I mean very few hardly ever now when you push the credit button the solenoid for the ball release engages and lets your balls drop through to play your game then releases back to the shut position, but now when credit is pushed the coil stays in the activated position and you can hear it activating when it goes over certain rollovers on the playfield the same rollovers that effect the select lights in the centre of the playfield, they also stopped working about a month ago but I traced that back to a wire that came off in the head box which when I reattached fixed that problem, I'm not sure if the ball release problem is related to that fix I did or not but I don't think so because I have had the game playing ok since that fix but now it has gone stupid on me again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes it just started happening out of the blue, I will try get out in the next couple of days i am on a long stint of night shifts right now so pinball repair is one of the last things that i feel like doing at the moment:) Edited by Rob1966

It hasnt got an ejection coil the coil with the cam is only used once in the entire game when you push the credit button to start the initial game and it releases all of the balls used from the previous game , its a 1962 ball push up model where you have the two ball shooters one to manually pop the ball up into the ball shooter lane and then the normal ball shooter to put the ball into play, im pretty sure its got something to do with the contacts or something shorting out somewhere but at yet i havnt been able to sort it out fustrating but im sure i will get there eventually, i was hoping that someone with a similar game could take a pic of their contact set up for that ball release coil so that i could see if im on the right track with how i have reset mine.
There must be a blade switch that the ball sits on before ejection. It could be stuck on, so this keeps the coil energized.

Alright got out today to do a bit of scratching around and contact cleaning with no luck the ball release coil is staying open still, causing the balls to continuously cycle through making the game never end also the drain lanes at the bottom of the play field are not scoring so am not sure if this is contributing to some problem,.

I'm not afraid to admit it but I think this repair is beyond me as I don't seem to be getting any closer to solving it, I'm almost at the point of admitting defeat and taking it to someone to get repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no don't do that..it will be one contact that is closed and should be open..when you find and repair it you will be the man :)

now..i'm thinking (because the outlanes aren't paying points) that the problem will be score relays in the head..can't remember what the outlanes pay (50 points?) so if 50 points it will be the 10 point relay

I will give it another go for now but my patience level is wearing thin:)

How the hell do you have the patience and will power to maintain over 30 of these hidious machines:lol

no don't do that..it will be one contact that is closed and should be open..when you find and repair it you will be the man :)

now..i'm thinking (because the outlanes aren't paying points) that the problem will be score relays in the head..can't remember what the outlanes pay (50 points?) so if 50 points it will be the 10 point relay

As there are a couple of issues here it may not be related but just have a look see at the 4th & 5th ball contacts.

If it still 'thinks' there are balls to let go the coil in question will stay energised.

Finally had time to have a look at some issues today, checked the 4th and 5th ball contacts @Rich and i dont think that is the problem they are definately disengaging when the ball fall down.

As i said with the coil staying locked out and operating on and off it only seems to operate when the unit points are activated on the playfield also like previously stated as well the two drain holes beside the flippers are not activating at all also the two gobble holes are no scoring when the balls go in them, not sure if related but probably is.

Was doing it only when the units were scoring ie 1 point 5 points, i actually just came back from playing around with it again and i am really sort of lol sure that it has something to do with the three contacts that are activated by the ball release coil the three contacts and everything that isnt working are all on the same related circuit according to the schematics,

and with the playfield lifted i broke the circuit that the bottom contact makes using an insulated screwdriver and it made the coil release and everything starts working as it should, only problem is it wont stay like that as soon as you let it go again it energises the coil again and problem back.

I just cant seem to find out why or how the contact is supposed to break during normal game play because at the moment i can only accomplish it with the screwdriver.