Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Super band flipper rubbers

mattie4270

I've experimented with them and find they are easy to clean but for me they bounce weird and are a real bitch to put on. I also find they don't chip as easily as rubber does. I only use them on flippers but I am a big fan of titan silicon rings; they bounce right and they're easy to put on and clean AND they look good. Also they're cheaper than the super band rings. I would go for them.

I like SB flipper rubbers for the look. Flipper shots don't feel as positive as conventional rubbers IMO but I still don't mind them.

Don't like them on mini posts on in/out lanes as I feel you get a better chance to bounce the ball out of an out lane with conventional rubbers. I'll use them up the top of the PF if it's just a post and nothing to do with a guide.

Prefer Cliffy over SB for post sleeves.

Don't know about SB rubbers for slings etc. but have tried the transparent rings on some games and went back to conventional. Too many weird spins and the sizing was slightly different. I did leave transparent rings on JD as it doesn't have too many rubbers overall and it works okay for that game. Flintstones is horrible with transparent rubber rings. The transparent rings lower the sensitivity of slings IMO.

Well from the feedback i think i better get a set for my TAF flippers and give them a run,thanks for the input guys.

they're worth a run .. i bought a set of black ones for centaur months ago ... really should fit them one day .. lol .. the plumbers taps.

Love em love em love em. SUPERBANDS not only look good, they feel great are very easy to clean, last a long time and compared to normal rubber they are just superior in every way.

On the other hand silicone flipper rubbers feel like sponge to me but love the silicone on all other rubbers. I get these from Europe along with there LED's. when I can afford them.

I first came across super bands in May last year, and mentioned them in this thread - No-one answered my question there, however I subsequently found out somewhere along the line that super bands were the key.

From a completely player perspective, I think they're an awesome tool for any intermediate player who wants to practice the skill of 'live catching'.

With a few hours conscientious 'live catching' practice using super bands, if you haven't made a heap of progress, then it's probably best to stick to the fun times of social pinball. Good times, good people, and no pinball skill required.

If you want to progress your flipper skill for competitive play though, I suggest not to rely on super bands to give you any more than a quick lesson.

They grip too much, and give spastic spin on the ball in all circumstances.

When utilizing a 'bounce pass', super bands absorb heaps of the ball's kinetic energy, along with drastically altering the spin on the ball.

Using 'Scared Stiff' as a part example - Firm shots up a ramp that would normally return down an inlane to be easily rolled over to the opposing flipper (on a well cared for and set up machine) are difficult - The super bands 'reverse' the spin.

Clean shots whether from a standing start or 'on the fly' might have more strength (more so from a standing start), however if you 'brick' your shot, it will respond not only at the relative super band speed, but with a relative spastic spin.

I don't like the super band material on playfield rubbers - The spin is too relative to the rubber, rather than the natural physics of the ball.

All that said, if I was in a position to own machines, I'd have a selection of 15-20 machines from wood-rail to the current day, with a couple of the post 90's machines having super bands on the flippers only.

Hope that helps,

G

I tried them on my Shadow for a while. Didn't like them. They felt completely different to standard rubbers and made bounce passing all but impossible. It's frustrating to find that most location games have them now. I can see the attraction for operators- they seem a lot more durable and easier to clean- but they make games less fun to play.

• 3 weeks later...
Go with the Titans :

https://www.titanpinball.com/

No comparison . Titans are easy to keep clean ( like SB'S ) and easy to fit ( unlike SB's ) , but you don't get that stupid grippy , spin on the ball like Greg mentioned .

I am curious have you used any of there other Play Field stuff, posts, slingshot, etc.

If so what is your thoughts.

Go with the Titans :

https://www.titanpinball.com/

No comparison . Titans are easy to keep clean ( like SB'S ) and easy to fit ( unlike SB's ) , but you don't get that stupid grippy , spin on the ball like Greg mentioned .

Do these titan rubbers dampen ball momentum the same as the SB's?

edit: just ordered a set of their white rubbers to test...

Edited by Lazarus