Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinbot display issues

mix_vt_cal

Question

Hi all,

My Pinbot has developed a couple of issues, with the main one being display related.

The second and third characters on each display have stopped working. The first works, but is sometimes a bit dull. It's as if there's no power getting to them, or no signal, and it's consistent across all displays. So probably not a physical display issue, but further up the line.

I have checked and reseated all cables, and all fuses, although there's only one that feeds the displays it seems on Pinbot.

I've also lost the middle row of orange insert lamps on Pinbots chest. I have been working under the playfield as I've been cleaning and replacing topside parts. Not sure if the two are related or coincidental? Have checked all the wiring around where I've worked and the chest area and all looks good.

Everything else works fine. Machine plays perfectly - just missing the display segments and orange insert lamps.

Anyway, any suggestions? If it was a power supply issue I'd think none of the displays would work?

Maybe a display board issue. I'll take the boards off today to have a good look at the connector pins and traces.

I can reflow some pins, but much more and I'll send all the boards off to @Skybeaux, like I probably should have when I first brought it home.

There are a few 'interesting' hacks to the power supply board, but it has been working perfectly since I got it a couple of months ago.

I've put up a photo of the display issue on my other 'new pin day' thread in the general Pinball area, but can't link to it or repost as currently on a useless iPad.

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated. When I get home again I'll break out the multi meter.

Cheers,

Mike.

3 answers to this question

Check the resistors on the display driver board.

I had a bad sector on my Pin*bot a while back. Turned out to be a corroded metal leg going into the display glass. Was repairable with careful soldering.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

The resistors all tested OK without cutting them from the board, and the displays all had the same issue, so I'm thinking not an individual display issue.

Anyway, when I pulled the power supply board out it had some fairly suss looking hacks, so I pulled all the boards and have sent them all to Ken (@Skybeaux on the forum here) who I use to fix all my boards.

Always great work and quick return!

Cheers,

Mike.