Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Batcave Masters 2016

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a side topic so excuse the deviation.

It was encouraging to hear Bowen Kerins on the latest Tilt Thru podcast talk about the people who perceive a trend with certain rubbers or bands. He said he found normal flipper rubbers to be just as unpredictable, and doesn't see much weight in the argument on some types of bands being better than others. I thought it was interesting because I've always felt that way too. I never expect a game or the ball to bounce a certain way because of what type of band it has on, as it just seems completely unpredictable until you've played it for a bit and experienced it. Even on my own games, that all use Super Bands, each one has a different feel. Scared Stiff for example has practically no bounce, where as Bride of Pinbot (same colour bands by the way) bounce just fine. I wouldn't know that by looking at the bands and saying 'a-hah! Super Bands!', but by playing it and realising that a bounce pass on Scared Stiff will be tough.

This debate will no doubt go on forever in the hobby. But thought Bowen's perspective was interesting simply because he's so experienced, and didn't seem to understand what all the fuss was about.

In an ideal world where all flippers play the same; rubber is the most bouncy, titans are supposedly in the middle, and supers are fairly dead. Supers make it far easier to drop catch on the same machine than rubber for example.

I think what Bowen is trying to say here is that 'you play to the conditions of the machine, and that can change based on setup and maintenance'.

- - - Updated - - -

Was banking on next year as I couldn't make it this year....... Ohhhhh noooooo [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Although there may be some change to the formats, there will be a 3 day pinball comp at the expo. In terms of competition at least, you'll miss out on nothing.

PJ Thursday! http://gamethesystem.co/latest/

(I'm going to keep rhyming these until someone tells me to shut the **** up)

Also, @sleazius , I'm really really happy that there's going to be another expo. The last one (first one?) was probably the best weekend of pinball I have ever had, and to think there's a good chance that it will happen again gets me all tingly in the nether regions. Can't wait Leigh and if there's anything I can do to make it less painful, let me know.

Keen to join

Hi guys

I'd like to register for the comp - my name is George.

I'll be attending with the rest of the guys from Adelaide.

Can you let me know if it's possible to register for the first 2 days only?

Cheers

George

Dan and myself are gluttons for punishment and will return to put it on again.

13th, 14th, 15th of May 2016.

From this year on May will become the permanent home of Batcave Masters which will run annually hereafter.

3 comps

1. Pingolf with a 4 player (matchplay) bracket final of 16 (to be confirmed)

2. Main Event - 4 player Match Play Swiss Style (tiered hopefully) event , 5 or 6 rounds then final 16 (same/similar as last year)

3. Classics - early solid states and EMs, format to be advised (there will be no strikes tournament this year, we only ran it last time due to time constraints)

$150 entry - payment is open from TODAY

paypal: lhutton@lonepixel.com - please send as a gift. I've now linked my paypal to my bank account so anyone who would prefer to pay via bank transfer please let me know and I will PM you the details.

Payment cutoff is 8th of April (this is also the last date for refunds), after this date the cost increases to $165

Spots are capped at 70, one thing we learnt from the November event was that anything more than 50 people when it is raining is squishy.

You can put down that you're interested but if you haven't paid your spot isn't confirmed and could be taken by someone else.

Rated players will be given preference above non-rated to maximise IFPA points - however we only had 44 attend last time so I wouldn't worry too much about this coming into effect.

New Zealanders are welcome to bunk here as always.

Great news about the expo, Leigh & Dan. I'll put my hand up to come over a couple days early and help you set up if I can bunk in with someone. And I recommend you stop the tournament qualifying at midnight, no need to kill yourself to build up the pot by another $1K. Of course if there are others that volunteer to keep it going to 4am good luck to them. However you guys nearly killed yourselves at the last one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I recommend you stop the tournament qualifying at midnight, no need to kill yourself to build up the pot by another $1K. Of course if there are others that volunteer to keep it going to 4am good luck to them. However you guys nearly killed yourselves at the last one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed!

Also Matchplay will make things sooooo much easier!

That's my tournament helping hand going up too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to announce that I'm out of order and will not be able to attend 😢

Last Friday I had a huge prang on my MTB an unintentional foward flip off a 2 meter plus high jump saw me flip over the bars and onto my back. Broken ribs and fractured spine is not a problem but my fractured hip socket will see me in traction for another 11 days and probably in hospital for a month all up. I am very much over it after just one week. But the long term prognosis is positive so I must keep my chin up and focus on that.

I had been very much looking forward to the comp and meeting up with everyone old and new. I had also put quite some time into developing my skills, hopefully I will keep building on that for a future comp.

Have a great weekend everyone, I will be watching for pictures and stories.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Last Friday I had a huge prang on my MTB an unintentional foward flip off a 2 meter plus high jump saw me flip over the bars and onto my back. Broken ribs and fractured spine is not a problem but my fractured hip socket will see me in traction for another 11 days and probably in hospital for a month all up. I am very much over it after just one week. But the long term prognosis is positive so I must keep my chin up and focus on that.

I had been very much looking forward to the comp and meeting up with everyone old and new. I had also put quite some time into developing my skills, hopefully I will keep building on that for a future comp.

Bloody Hell!

Glad to hear you're 'OK'.

Was looking forward to us playing off to make the finals.

Hope the time in bed is not too hard to cope with, and that recovery is full and long lasting.

Tim

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jesus dude, sounds painful!

Make sure you take plenty Endone and sweet dreams!

I was really looking forward to a playoff on black pyramid!