Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cabinet re-decal over old decal? why not?

Hi All,

I've seen some amazing pinball restore threads here on AA with new cabinet decals which look great

I've also seen lots of video's on how to apply cabinet decals with varying techniques.

All the re-decals jobs I've seen, they always remove the old decals, then sand and sand and paint and paint and sand, etc, before applying the new decals.

Has any tried applying new decals straight over the top of the old ones? :unsure

If you cabinet is in good condition and they only reason you are redoing the decals is that your current ones are faded, this would obviously save a heap of time.

I would imagine that you could still spray the corner edges black, even gap fill minor scratches before applying new decals.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know any reasons why new decals couldn't be applied this way?

I saw it once on an indy that was bought from a dealer who no longer owns the business. Looked amazing from a few metres away....then up close it looked ordinary. You could see the old art where they trimmed the new decal too agressively and there were quite a few scratches and dings thatshowed through.

As for how they would look with imperfections filled and trimmed nicely i don't know. Normally any filler is sanded back so i suspect this would damge the old artwork.

Just about all cabs i have redecalled have damage from the legs so it is good practice to fill these i reckon

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If you fill any inperfections and rub down then clean with prepsol or metho I don't see why it shouldn't come up looking nice. I have stripped back cleaned and sanded and then painted and boy its a lot of work. Doing it your way would probably give it a little more protection from any light knocks as it already has a layer of vinyl on it. I have seen it done this way as long its prepped well enough it looks OK.

Looks OK, would be the best result you could expect..

Try to fill imperfections on a decal / sticker and then sand it. Results will not be good and probably cause more work.

There's a reason why you use primer / filler, this is to fill in the imperfections of any repair that was used to fill in the imperfections. This itself could then react with the decal / side art.

Overall, I would not do it, especially if the original decal has imperfections...

If you sanded the affected area through the decal to wood if it were that deep then hi fill then prime it there's no way it will react with the decal. It's vinyl practically impervious to most things. Then again I'm only suggesting this he does what he likes because I'm not that anal about pinballs anymore, when crap faded scratched cabinets fetch over 3k. So a few dings here and there won't make any difference to the price. The playfield is what you should be more concerned about.