Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Head to Head Battle Pinny

Let the soldering begin ! Pulled in all the cables now for the light channels. Now to solder in all the LED strips. I solder them on the board and give them a test before I stick them into the lighting channel. I have had a couple where the solder pad on the LED strips actually separate off the strip if I flex them too much whilst fitting them in the channel.

IMG_5858.JPG.e143e85c46bcf85b3457b0040a11423e.JPGIMG_5856.JPG.9c0ce43a28381424e8626d275d43d38a.JPG

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love a back lit flipper button....I have now installed all the light channel LED's . So now have moved onto the flipper button back light LED's. These are simply hot gun glued into place, simple but effective. The only problem I found using the hot glue craft gun, was I now want to glue rhinestones onto my clothes to Jazz them up !!!!:lol

IMG_5860.JPG.4cffa2c62a492c660cff1f3fbec42971.JPGIMG_5859.JPG.cb3e01266178e8cf56fe74930cbecc1a.JPG

Gotta love a back lit flipper button....I have now installed all the light channel LED's . So now have moved onto the flipper button back light LED's. These are simply hot gun glued into place, simple but effective. The only problem I found using the hot glue craft gun, was I now want to glue rhinestones onto my clothes to Jazz them up !!!![emoji38]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100370[/ATTACH]

And when ya done you can do some Vagazilling! Z

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Do the side colours move from one end to the other end as one player starts winning? Ie the losing player sees them getting ever closer?

Yes exactly. So as you lose, your side changes from say Red to Blue ! So the colour moves towards you with impending DOOM ! Then what ever player wins, the whole machine will then go the winners colour !!!!! Thought it would be fun to do, but didnt realise how much work would be involved in doing it :o Anyhow, the mega hours spent building this machine will be a distant memory once its up and running....

Shifty Chinese Suppliers. I'm mounting the displays for the Battle Pinny. I found when removing the dot matrix displays, that quite a few of the boards I had where missing their filtering capacitors !!!! I guess they run out on the day, and played on the fact that we would not notice , because you would not see them ! The result of this was that the data between displays would corrupt and hash the display. I thought it was a software issue, but is was a missing hardware issue !!!!!!

So one picture shows the display board with the parts and the missing parts !

The other pictures show all the nice little nylon spacers on the display panels, then the displays fitted, ready for wiring !

IMG_5946.JPG.c4b10052f938806511fa6ec4feb02d62.JPGIMG_5945.JPG.92e5f61b9809f1453735ab4929a3bbce.JPGIMG_5947.JPG.400e7cd2d17d697b299f3c0c26bef93f.JPG

Shifty Chinese Suppliers. I'm mounting the displays for the Battle Pinny. I found when removing the dot matrix displays, that quite a few of the boards I had where missing their filtering capacitors !!!! I guess they run out on the day, and played on the fact that we would not notice , because you would not see them ! ....

looks like they've used surface mount components to me?

looks like they've used surface mount components to me?

If you look at the pick of the close up of the boards there is a ceramic cap and a small electrolytic they have left out . I could buy them and solder them in, or simply just order in a few more displays, they are cheap as chips, even though the minimum order now for chips is about $5 ! Bloody inflation and potatoe short supply

No. The components I've circled on your picture are surface mount - they're just small.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100644[/ATTACH]

Your RIGHT ! I had a good look at those components and they are surface mount caps. Even though both boards look the same, one is a later version that allows for surface mount or old fashion parts....I better applogise to the Chinese.......

just read through this thread,pure genius, awesome job!

Thanks @sparkaruss, dont know if I'm a Pure Genius, but am sure i'm a slightly insane smarty pants for taking this on.....admittedly, myself and the friends that have helped on this are looking forward to see how the finished machine works out :D

Glad you have enjoyed the thread

PCB Cooking day :D Time to start making some more PCB's for the Battle Pinny. These are the light controllers, magnet driver board and diode grey code matrix.....These are made using PCB Press and Peel from Jaycar. Easy to use, but you MUST print on a laser printer, and as I found out both Brother and Xerox brands dont work.... So off to officeworks for a HP $98 special, that luckily worked.

The picture shows the steps, I have also shown the failed result because of the printer not working correctly with the press and peel paper.

The Steps, 1/ Print your design onto the paper and cut out 2/ Iron onto the thoroughly cleaned PCB Board. 3/ The FUN part, Boil the board in acid !!!!! and watch the magic as the copper magically disappears !!. WARNING This ACID is nasty stuff, I dropped a screw in there that was suspending the board in the acid, the screw no longer exists :lol And always wear protective clothing...

Next I will drill all the holes and assemble the parts on it.....what joy

Start at the bottom picture with the cleande PCB board and work up.....

IMG_6010.JPG.6238f4029923fcd9c6a8fd6bff3ea368.JPGIMG_6009.JPG.8ea4040bad02812d919378bc1db44f86.JPGIMG_6008.thumb.jpg.3bd9690a338d7e91721b165d7512f392.jpgIMG_6007.JPG.e562200fcc260034e5bdcc95df2856d0.JPGIMG_6006.JPG.9fdf663bc0a34a6e52eed6024421a9f1.JPGIMG_6005.JPG.db1351760caec7bd3ab8c7a405b894bc.JPGIMG_6004.JPG.6432064c7cb83be3964e48279b2a565f.JPGIMG_6001.JPG.16640b09ba6b7a54f2657466a04104e7.JPGIMG_5996.JPG.747a9195a73b8a26bf29ea5ee529285b.JPG

Edited by thegrunta666

PCB Cooking day :D Time to start making some more PCB's for the Battle Pinny. These are the light controllers, magnet driver board and diode grey code matrix.....These are made using PCB Press and Peel from Jaycar. Easy to use, but you MUST print on a laser printer, and as I found out both Brother and Xerox brands dont work.... So off to officeworks for a HP $98 special, that luckily worked.

The picture shows the steps, I have also shown the failed result because of the printer not working correctly with the press and peel paper.

The Steps, 1/ Print your design onto the paper and cut out 2/ Iron onto the thoroughly cleaned PCB Board. 3/ The FUN part, Boil the board in acid !!!!! and watch the magic as the copper magically disappears !!. WARNING This ACID is nasty stuff, I dropped a screw in there that was suspending the board in the acid, the screw no longer exists :lol And always wear protective clothing...

Next I will drill all the holes and assemble the parts on it.....what joy

Start at the bottom picture with the cleande PCB board and work up.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100797[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100798[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100799[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100801[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100802[/ATTACH]

Awesome insight into PCB making

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Yay Its Assembly time ! I finally go back the powder coated parts for the Battle Pinny. So now the assembly begins, first off I have installed the side rails and flipper buttons and their switches. Next goes on the End panel assembly that holds the displays. Battle Pinny is going to be displayed at the Jersey Jack Pinball Pinball Promo in Melbourne on the 4th of December. So Im aiming to have it close to looking as the finished pinny will be. It wont be playable as all its electronic bits and playfield mechs, wont be installed. I also haven't got back the playfield with the artwork on them yet, so its going to be close to meet the December date :o

IMG_6174.thumb.jpg.2138453b309b45416985f8b58a47fc23.jpgIMG_6173.thumb.jpg.07485ae4796abddccf4c1a5fe04232da.jpg

bp1.thumb.jpg.6734560d36eddf459e85b95342f076a8.jpg

Yay Its Assembly time ! I finally go back the powder coated parts for the Battle Pinny. So now the assembly begins, first off I have installed the side rails and flipper buttons and their switches. Next goes on the End panel assembly that holds the displays. Battle Pinny is going to be displayed at the Jersey Jack Pinball Pinball Promo in Melbourne on the 4th of December. So Im aiming to have it close to looking as the finished pinny will be. It wont be playable as all its electronic bits and playfield mechs, wont be installed. I also haven't got back the playfield with the artwork on them yet, so its going to be close to meet the December date :o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]101676[/ATTACH]

Looking brilliant Grunta. 👍

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Oh Purdy printed new playfields ! Finally got back the printed playfields for the battle pinny. These have been done on the Uber big ink jet printer. They have come out pretty good for a first effort. There are a couple of imperfections on them, but I can live with that. Once the playfields are populated, the defects wont be as noticeable. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, bloody iPhone !!!! So now to put the inserts in and off to clear coat :D

IMG_6190.thumb.jpg.92193766fee8e6ef2337187ca0d7fead.jpgIMG_6189.thumb.jpg.bf32b65faaa34780d1d0c568c86e0cba.jpg

This think is going to look bloody awesome!

One question: where the two playfields meet in the middle, there is the change in pitch, with each half sloping towards the player. How do you stop that from acting like a ramp that launches the ball into the air when one player shoots at the other?

Cheers,

Michi.

Now this is what I call a Big Ass Inkjet Printer ! I dropped the Battle Pinny Playfields off at my printer guy today, this is the inkjet that will print direct onto the playfields !!!! Definitely bigger than the one on my desk !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100735[/ATTACH]

is there A layer of sorts on the playfield for the printer to print on? surely it didnt print directly onto primed ply wood? if so wow

also fantastic job on your custom battle pin, huge amount of work going into this. thumbs up

This think is going to look bloody awesome!

One question: where the two playfields meet in the middle, there is the change in pitch, with each half sloping towards the player. How do you stop that from acting like a ramp that launches the ball into the air when one player shoots at the other?

Cheers,

Michi.

They do meet in the middle, each playfield is at 6 degrees pitch. the test version the ball did not launch much, and if it did , it was not a lot of height.

- - - Updated - - -

is there A layer of sorts on the playfield for the printer to print on? surely it didnt print directly onto primed ply wood? if so wow

also fantastic job on your custom battle pin, huge amount of work going into this. thumbs up

Have a look at post #141 in the thread. We where originally going to just do a white layer off the printer then colour print. But the boss of the printing company poo poo'ed that idea for the exact reason you said about the primed plywood. The white polymer we used levels out the grain of the ply to give a far better printing surface. having said that we have a couple of odd lines that have appeared on the completed product, so not sure what may have caused this. However, considering this has never been tried before as far as we know, it has worked out pretty good for a first attempt.