Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

That system 80 ?VOLCANO? no one wanted. Making a start!

• 3 weeks later...

She's Alive! :109: Well, sort of.

JeYjmMw.jpg

All coil diodes were replaced, repined all connectors and added ground mods. I will try to rejuvenate the player 1 & 4 displays later.

I did follow Clays start-up procedure and everything was fine until fitting the F6 solenoid fuse.

The ball release, hole kick out and fire pit solenoids locked on. These are controlled by the under playfield mounted transistors. I had left these alone during harness re-assembly as I 'ASSUMED' they were wired correctly and in my excitement to get her running again, didn't check and do the pull-up resistor mod. Dam it. :075:

I've been scratching my head (still am) trying to work out why these three MJ2955 PNP under playfield transistors had the base & emitter wires soldered the wrong way around? Black Hole schematics say they should be 2N5875 PNP, but google states they are simular. This is what I'm talking about. I corrected and marked. Emitter to non-band of coil.

6AVRzjo.jpg

Apart from blowing out fuse 17 (ball release/hole kick-out not working) I can get a game playing with everything else working/scoring except the subway ball lift kicker won't fire. Mike's new pop boards work a treat, by the way. :038:

I pulled the driver board back out and tested all the transistors and I have x3 MPS-U45 drivers testing bad. Q16 (L15 might be for ball release), Q22 (L21. Lamp L22 not working?) & Q51 (Sol 5?)

hNhGDEl.jpg

I've read that I may be able to pillage Q54,Q55 & Q56 (MPS-U45) used for counters or Sol 3,4 & 7 on Black Hole/Haunted House?

WxzilAS.jpg

Does anyone have a spare faulty driver board their willing to sell to me? I would like to have some spare MPS-U45?s on hand.

I'm kicking myself that the last time I did a PBR order I forgot to include a Volcano user manual.

I do have a sly copy, but it only goes up to page 17 and doesn't include Volcano's playfield wiring schematic.

I'm going off a Black Hole schematic, but the wire colours/pin outs don't match, which is giving me a bit of a migraine.

DUGVske.jpg

If anyone has an original manual, any chance someone can help me out with those missing pages, or sell me the manual? :sm1: Otherwise I will have to wait a few weeks for a $20 one from PBR.

In the mean time I will start on the inner & outer back glass repairs.

Fumbling my way through a System 80 is kind of fun. :headbuttwall:

Edited by pauly540
photos

• 1 year later...
I had the pleasure of playing a few games on this Volcano on the weekend. I also saw it before Paul started working on it - it was extremely rough to say the least, but the work he has done is absolutely sensational. The playfield touch ups and clearcoating look amazing and it plays really well. The pictures in this thread, whilst great, just don't do the work justice - it looks magnificent.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I do feel proud of my achievement, even though I could spend all day pointing out all of the mistakes. Hope to get better on the next project.

Tony,

Great to see you again today, sorry we could not chat for longer.

Keep up the yoga mate, as you were in a great frame of mind today :023:

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I do feel proud of my achievement, even though I could spend all day pointing out all of the mistakes. Hope to get better on the next project.

Tony,

Great to see you again today, sorry we could chat for longer.

Keep up the yoga mate, as you were in a great frame of mind today :023:

paul, i honestly don't know how you could do any better..i went back to the first set of photos and can't believe it is the same game..will have to win lotto and employ you full time to work on mine :cool:

thanks for the kind words, yes, in a great place..was just a speed hump in the road last week.

• 1 year later...

Small update on Volcano, has been in storage for a while and I missed playing it, I actually prefer playing Volcano more than Haunted House :redface

1oY3sOP.jpg

I did source a very nice outer backglass replacement thanks to @Fire_Power keeping an eye out :023:

vt5zE8R.jpg

One nagging thing about this machine is that heavy double glassed back box door always had to be opened and rested on the side rail, going any further beyond that point I think the whole back box could have twisted out of structural shape and could completely collapse, also annoying that the door never latched 100% and would sometimes swing open whilst in the middle of playing/nudging.

NXSvlxI.jpg

I never really noticed that the back panel was made out of Masonite and I’m guessing during its tough life, maybe it was stored for a long time with the door open and had slowly pulled itself apart. Unless its normal wear and tear for games like this, MGOW and Black Hole :unsure

5EomAHV.jpg

WVvnrCs.jpg

The Masonite was teared up around where a lot of the staples had pulled through, so decided to completely remove and install a new piece of MDF.

54SzSMW.jpg

I couldn’t see any remnants of being glued in, just an odd mixture of different staples types.

yw95DD1.jpg

A few ratchet straps and glue to get the frame squared up again :)

Ns3yhG6.jpg

Now a rock solid back box and the door can finally be fully opened and latched closed. Fired up perfectly after long storage, just needed a new CR2032 for the high scores :041:

PG5qPO6.jpg

I need to paint the new piece of MDF, but will revisit that when I have time. My next concern is the floor has been wet at some stage before I got it, a bit musky and just looks average.

5feMWqY.jpg

Not sure if I should have ago at sanding and sealing, or replace the whole floor. Maybe @Glenn70 can come over and do it for me, he seems to have floor replacements down pat :006: