• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: ZSystem - Dedicated Arch Linux Mame Cabinet - Index/Introduction.

is Active

----

State
      Sydney
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      354 Post(s)
      Australia

Post ZSystem - Dedicated Linux Mame Cabinet - Index/Introduction.

INDEX for the ZSystem

Welcome to ZSystem
      The Dedicated Linux Mame Build

ZSystem is a Linux based system designed from the ground up to run Mame with the best possible performance available on today's hardware. It is primarily intended for fixed resolution configuration with advanced options for variable refresh rate and is ideal for OLED, LCD or PC CRT monitors.
      This guide was initially written for Arch Linux, Though any base Linux distribution (Debian etc) is suitable.
      For Arcade CRT monitors, Please see the Groovy Arcade Live CD project which has OS patches for 15khz displays.

ZSystem being dedicated means it does not carry the overhead of typical graphical desktop computers such as:
      Graphical logins and all the software loaded with Desktop systems - Volume widgets, Clocks, Task bars, Window/File managers, Auto updates, Bluetooth stacks etc. Other benefits from a Linux/AdvMenu Mame cabinet are a very fast boot up time and rock solid emulation/operation.
      Typically from the bios logo screen at power on to having your menu in front of you and selecting a game to play is about 10~20 seconds.

ZSystem also takes advantage of Mames waitvsync option, ensuring tear free video display on all systems with compliant video cards.
      Depending on your level of expertise, Mame may be run in Throttle mode (Default) or Syncrefresh mode (VRR).
      Throttle mode is Mame's default configuration option and can be compared to most xxxin1 type boards.
      Syncrefresh mode provides a much better gaming experience and is the preferred mode for custom Mame cabinets.

Typical Advance Menu & Games with Artwork.
      TypicalAdvMenu.jpg Scramble.jpg SpeedRumbler.jpg
      (Window bars are not normally displayed)

Throttle mode (Fallback)
      ---------------------------
      Throttle mode, Mame's default and simplest configuration to operate also produces the most shabby emulation.
      Games will jitter/stutter every few seconds due to frame rate mismatch, Especially noticeable on fast moving/scrolling games.
      Useful when hardware is not powerful enough (CPU), Hardware is not capable (Fixed refresh) or as a Fallback mode for when a games Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) falls outside of the min max ranges of the display capabilities.

Syncrefresh mode (VRR)
      ----------------------------
      For systems with compatible video cards (Typically AMD, Intel & nVidia) Syncrefresh operation is possible with the addition of VRR.
      VRR - Variable Refresh Rate matches the system video refresh rate with the original game refresh rate for near perfect emulation.
      This will result in smooth scrolling with no jitter/stutter every few seconds. For best results, audio should be synchronized as well.
      If you want the games to run like they originally did, Then You will want to use VRR with Syncrefresh mode.
      (Note: Min req for VRR is Intel 2.3ghz dual core or 3ghz single core CPU, Typically with 2gb ram)

Information
      --------------
      [CRT/LCD] - CRT/LCD Support and notes.
      [To Do List] - Things that need attention or need to be implemented.
      [Video Bugs] - Reproducible X video system bugs (And workarounds).
      [Helpful tools] - A brief mention of common Linux utils you should familiarize yourself with.
      [Gotcha's] - Things to be aware of that may trip you up or impede your progress.
      [Mame Roms] - Working with Rom, Bios and Device lists. Identify required rom dependencies.
      [Help ZSystem] - ZSystem needs your help. Quickly help make ZSystem easier for everyone.

Core Installation
      -------------------
      [Base Install] - This will guide your through the Base install of the Arch system - Text only.
      [Packages] - Required support packages are installed for running & compiling programs.
      [Swap File] - The swap file can be created if required for compiling due to low memory.
      [Admin User] - Prepare Admin access for "arcade" user and practice good security habits.
      [Add User] - The steps to create an "arcade" user and make the user autologin.

Optional Components
      -------------------------
      [Boot Speed] - Optional step to remove boot menu delays & silence boot messages.
      [Auto Mount] - Optional step to setup automatic mount for user access to USB storage.

Initial User Setup & Preliminary Testing
      ---------------------------------------------
      [Skel User] - Default ~/.bash_profile and ~/.xinitrc files are created.
      [Start twm] - ~/.xinitrc is modified to set graphic mode & load a terminal.
      [Manual Sound] - From GFX terminal, Manually set sound device volumes etc.
      [Initial Testing] - From GFX terminal, Load sdlmame & play a game.
      [Video Orientation] - Rotate/Flip the screen to make your setup easier.

Main Program Installation
      -----------------------------
      [AdvMenu] - Download, Compile and install AdvanceMenu (Version 3.1 or greater).
      [SDLMame] - Download, Compile and install SDLMame (Version 0.178 or greater).

Main Program Configuration
      -------------------------------
      [Mame Config] - Standard & SDL Mame configuration. Sample Syncrefresh & Throttle options. Pending update to sdlMame V0.178
      [Hi_Score Config] - Correctly setting up Hi_Score patch and options (Info on video cfg bug). Pending update to sdlMame V0.178
      [AdvMenu Config] - Standard Advance Menu configuration. Sample config included. Pending update to AdvMenu V2.9

ZSystem Script Suite
      ------------------------
      ZSystem Script Suite is a complete set of scripts for running ZSystem - Taking away the hassle of writing your own scripts.
      You should be able to download/extract the Script Suite Archive and run the "Quick_Run.sh" script to evaluate it's operation.
      ZSystem Script Suite Sub Sections
      [User Init] - ZSystem user initialization with custom ~/.bash_profile and ~/.xinitrc scripts.
      [Sound Init] - Sound initialization (Balance & Volume) with the InitPulse.sh script.
      [Mouse Hide] - Options to hide the mouse cursor from view (ie. Bootup & Start game).

Advanced Setup "Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)"
      ----------------------------------------------------
      [VRR Info] - General info about Variable Refresh Rate mode. Pending transition to ZSystem Script Suite
      [VRR System Config] - A "DEFAULT" video mode is required to run VRR. Pending transition to ZSystem Script Suite
      [VRR Wrapper Script] - Script to execute Variable Refresh Rate & Mame. Pending transition to ZSystem Script Suite
      [VRR AudioSync Patch] - Synchronize audio patch and Mame.ini settings. Pending transition to ZSystem Script Suite
      [VRR Benchmark Results] - Real world VRR benchmark test results. Pending transition to ZSystem Script Suite

Advanced Setup "Privileged access to program hardware"
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      [UDev Rules] Grant (IPac) hardware access with vendor & product ID.
      [Sudo Access] Grant (LPT) hardware access to programs via sudo control.
      [Group Access] Grant (TTY) hardware access to devices such as serial ports.
      [Sticky Access] Grant unsecure hardware access to programs via sticky control.

Advanced Setup "Programming I-Pac boards"
      ---------------------------------------------------
      [IPac Programming Tool] - Choose the tool for your model of IPac.

[UMTool] - Download, Compile and install UMTool for programming I-Pac boards.
      [UMTool Use] - Using UMTool/Modifying key assignments and programming your I-Pac board.
      [UMTool Boot Init] - Optional script to program your I-Pac on system boot up.

[I-PacUtil] - Download, Compile and install I-PacUtil for programming I-Pac boards.
      [I-PacUtil Use] - Using IPac-Util/Modifying key assignments and programming your I-Pac board.
      [I-PacUtil Boot Init] - Optional script to program your I-Pac on system boot up.

Advanced Setup "Operator control panel"
      ----------------------------------------------
      [Operator Control Panel] - Setting up OCP Test credit/Service 1-4, Mame config & Game config.

Advanced Setup "Simple Coin Counter"
      --------------------------------------------
      [Coin Counter Info] - Using a coin counter to log credits passed through coin mechanism.
      [Coin Counter Device] - Building the circuit to drive our 12v coin counter mechanism.

PCB Production Preparation
      -------------------------------
      PCB Production Tools - Tools to create your circuit with the toner transfer method.
      PCB Toner Transfer PID Controller - Build a temperature controlled laminator.
      USB Microscope Mini Drill Press - Build a sub millimeter accurate press drill.

Advanced Setup "Counter & Coinlock PCB"
      ----------------------------------------------
      [C&C PCB Info] - Use coin lockout until the Rom has Booted.
      [C&C PCB Ctrl] - Interfaces to communicate to external devices.
      [C&C PCB Eagle] - Eagle schematic & board layout (For home etching).
      [C&C PCB Build] - Transfer our design etch and build our C&C PCB circuit.
      [C&C PCB Testing] - Bench test our complete PCB to find any faults.
      [C&C PCB Wrapper Scripts] - Scripts to execute coin lockout while rom loads.

Advanced Setup "Mame LED/Device output"
      -------------------------------------------------
      [ZHooker Wrapper Scripts] - Bridge scripts to link Mame output to PacDrive.

Power and Safety
      --------------------
      [Mains Wiring] - Consumer grade mains wiring - Adding secure earth grounding point.

Other useful links
      --------------------
      [Direct D/L links for ZSystem files]
      [All the important Mame Updates/Links]
      [Daphne configuration and single credit play]
      [How to build your custom rom sets with clrmamepro]

Links with possibly useful information
      -------------------------------------------
      [Mame with pre-defined refresh rates]

All components (Text/Code) of ZSystem fall under the Creative Commons BY-SA Licence.
      Open source code for open source projects
      Copyright (CC) BY-SA [OzFalcon of bden.org]
      Last edited by ozfalcon; 25th February 2017 at 09:49 AM.

is Active

----

State
      Sydney
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      354 Post(s)
      Australia

Reserved

This user has no status.

Drunk

State
      VIC
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Quoted
      94 Post(s)
      Australia
      This is really great. Looking forward to the mame compiling etc

is Active

----

State
      Sydney
      Mentioned
      18 Post(s)
      Quoted
      354 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by blontic View Post
      This is really great. Looking forward to the mame compiling etc
      I have been busy transfering my domain to a new domain provider, The new provider has the ability to redirect subdomains.

Now zsystem.bden.org points to my google drive ZSystem folder.
      This makes getting the required files to setup ZSystem with wget much easier & quicker to type.
      Last edited by ozfalcon; 21st April 2014 at 08:58 PM.

This user has no status.

Drunk

State
      VIC
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Quoted
      94 Post(s)
      Australia
      thats a great idea. does take a little while typing out all those pacman -S

is Looking for a dancing game!

Awesome

State
      Newcastle, NSW
      Mentioned
      34 Post(s)
      Quoted
      339 Post(s)
      Australia
      I love that it's pacman, given the context

Got a new board today btw for my build, core 2 duo, and pcie video card, so should run mame much better thanks @Prankzter!
      Fry: "Wait a second. I know that monkey! His name is 'Donkey'."
      Professor: "Monkeys aren't donkeys. Quit messing with my head!"

is so many cabs...so little time

----

State
      NSW
      Mentioned
      10 Post(s)
      Quoted
      13 Post(s)
      Australia
      Haha nw @Lord-Data glad to help