Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb EM 4 Player- Start up Animation

em_pins

Question

6 answers to this question

Yes, it's bloody BRILLIANT!! I have been following this guys work as he put this animation together on Pinside - very, very well done.

I believe he is doing a few more as well??

I think it will help a lot of people have a go at an EM where previously they may have been reluctant....

At the 5:15 point in the animation there is the quote about the 'hold in resistor' keeping Z1 energised. Can anyone explain in theory how this resistor is able to keep Z1 energised ?

At the 5:15 point in the animation there is the quote about the 'hold in resistor' keeping Z1 energised. Can anyone explain in theory how this resistor is able to keep Z1 energised ?

Found this online:

PICK/HOLD Power Consumption

"Once a relay is energised it doesn’t need that much current to hold it’s contacts. Usually a relay needs only about 50% of energise voltage to hold it’s position. So the relay needs higher current only at the beginning to pull contacts from one end to another. For example relay that I was testing earlier has 12VDC coil, but it can be easily pulled-in at 9V and reliably hold it’s contacts at about 4V."

This places less strain on the relay coil and as a bonus, when released the relay will drop out faster and have a lower back EMF (not as important in an EM pinball)

I don't know if this is the reason they used resistors in EMs but it sounds sensible to me :unsure