Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

how picture tubes are made.

this video looked like it was done in the last 10 years or so... wonder if there is anyone still making crts?

yep china , Shenzhen.

CRT are still being used in pokier machines to this day.

I wonder why? wouldn't it be cheaper and lighter to use LCD, or is it the fact that CRT lasts longer?

Cheaper to make CRT (in China anyway) because all of the manufacturing equipment can be bought for next to nothing and perhaps this factory doesn't have the technology to make LCD?

not only that homepin , CRT will always outlive a plasma or LCD.

i recall a few years ago bumper action brought in a container of 21 inch RGB tube n chassis , sold the whole lot over a given period of time.

i actually brought one of these.

they were ok ,not best of quality , they had the controller board external.

if they were 20 inch they would have sold alot faster.

And after all that work that goes into making one of them....you can't give one away these days.....they are 10 deep at the tip!!!

I purchased my first tv ( 53cm ) in 1981...It cost $850.....bloody unbelievable!!!

john

Good video but they seem to be making a b&w tube. No mention of how they lay down the three colour phosphors in the right pattern for a colour tube, or how they get a shadow mask installed and aligned. That's what baffles me.

And after all that work that goes into making one of them....you can't give one away these days.....they are 10 deep at the tip!!!

i think you will find they would have changed alot of the manufacture processing to speed it up as the years went by.

i cant really see computer monitors being made this way , they would have had to have figured a faster way to achieve this.. even if there was 20 plus manufactures pumping them out 24 /7

Edited by baz

Cant they do touchscreen with an overlay?

Yes they did - early touchscreens were CRT - it was troublesome as the picture shifts a lot with CRT as components age requiring regular adjustment - no such problems with LCD