Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Customised HDD image for xxxx-1 systems inc Laserdisc Games - anyone want one ?

Jed

Question

I've spent the last 4 years on and off customising and modding a basic 1000-1 gamebox system's HDD. (Games Family, Babystar, Gamebox, etc)

I added stuff like:

Ability to play Laserdisc Games (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace)

SNES

MP3 jukebox

and many other games inc decent vector support, high score save, etc etc

As well as all the usual favourite MAME games.

you'd need at least a P4 2Ghz chip in your gamebox to fully take advantage of this image and play the newer stuff like NBA Jam etc. Using Mamewah editor and Photoshop I've customised the Home Screen + graphics so it looks nicer than the standard xxxx-1 awful-coloured-crap home screen. I fixed the basic menu so it doesn't overlap the screen snaps, plus got rid of the hundreds of duplicate games and different languages etc.

I call the image 'Flynn's' - in homage to Flynns Arcade.

Edit March 2018 - I can't host the image any more on onedrive due to restrictions when I did. If your'e after this image post a request for anyone hosting the torrent, seeing as people are still after it I might see if I can do something at megaupload.

Edited by Jed

Loki, I'm certainly no pro, however from what I have read in this thread and others over the past 24 hours, it sounds like a display issue. Are you using an Arcade monitor as opposed to a LCD display? Someone mentioned keyboard shortcuts ctrl-v or alt-v (or something like that) to switch between VGA/PAL/NTSC display modes, this may be your issue. Surely if everything is installed correctly a SSD shouldn't prevent booting.

Now onto my question..

I've read 58 pages of this thread, and am very happy to see so much help and input in one place!

As a difficult customer, I have a couple of questions about some different setups.

I have 3 genuine Jamma Arcade machines, and 4 genuine Jamma game boards. I have also recently aquired a 1066 in 1 gameboard. Ideally I would like to copy Mala onto this drive, which from what I understand, will require Windows XP (please correct me if I'm wrong)

In the meantime, I am downloading Jed's hard work, to experience the improvements he has tirelessly put forward. So first questions is: Would upgrading the newer versions of mame onto Jed's image help or hinder gameplay, as I understand sometimes this can make games worse as they make the emulation more accurate, or do you think most modern versions of mame will be improvements largely over the last 4 years or so? If worthwhile what is the process of putting the new mame there, replacing the others or adding "another" emulator? (I can connect to the drive by using it as a USB)

Secondly, I saw Commando had a version of XP and Mala on an image that was on the illusive xxx-in-1.com which no longer exists. Is it possible to find this anywhere?

Thirdly, from what I understand the motherboard is just a pentium 4 board with a 1.7ghz Celeron prcessor, this can theoretically be upgraded with a P4 chip, but is it possible to just change the motherboard to something more modern? I have a couple of old PCs in pieces which have core2duo motherboards with 4gb of RAM. I could theoretically easily swap between the two, provided I can solder the serial connections on the bottom of the motherboard - provided all the other connectors are present. Has anyone done this, is there any limitation as to specification the top board can handle?

From the sounds of it the 3000-in-1 or whatever they are now, use a core2due board, so if the top board is identical it might be a safe option.

Obviously I will be needing soft15k or something similar to suit the screens in my machine. I may well be better off making a mame machine with one of these old PCs, however would like to get the best bang for my buck out of this 1066-in-1 if possible.

I look forward to lots of responses!

Just to be brief, but answer as accurately as I can:

1/ not worth putting new versions of mame onto the image, unless you are wanting to run much more recent mame games, and not the ones on the image.

2/ I've never heard of anyone swapping out the mother or daughterboard of these systems, I think quite honestly you would be asking for trouble, given the amount of custom hardware and drivers on the image to support the exact hardware already there.

3/ You can safely put in up to P4 2.4 Ghz into these older gameboards, but you will also need to upgrade the CPU fan - and don't run it with the steel box still on if you want it to last, the P4 will generate a lot of heat.

4/ These systems already run soft15khz, and support VGA, PAL, NTSC and most arcade monitors you can throw at them.

lastly - this image I made is something I have not used for years, when I bought my xxxx-1 cab off of ebay round about 2007, I had no idea about building a mame machine back in those days, so I just set about making my xxxx-1 better. To be frank, these systems are old and terribly outdated, horrible to maintain, painful to work on, and even worse when you want to add new systems or roms. You sound like you have most of the spare PC bits lying around already and have the skills, You are far better off building a mame machine from scratch, as you will have a much more flexible system.

I keep reading this and meaning to reply to the one part I might be able to help with..

I know nothing about the xxx-in-1 stuff, though I'm aware they use ripped tools from anywhere they can. Assuming for the moment that you'd be working with standard Win XP somehow...

Soft15Khz will only work with Nvidia cards earlier than the old 7000GT series from about 2006. AMD cards slightly newer than that should work. Cards a few years newer can use a dongle, if you have one or want to make one. But nothing too modern. Your best bet might be the older crt_emudriver builds for XP with a compatible ATI/AMD card from the list - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65

If the xxx-in-1 is outputting 15kHz to begin with, can you piggyback on that?

Welcome to AA!

Hi Buttersoft, Thanks for your reply!

I didn't realise there were limitations to the soft15k setup, I'll go and investigate the links you have put up as soft 15k works with the original setup, but may not work with a different motherboard.

Cheers!

Just to be brief, but answer as accurately as I can:

1/ not worth putting new versions of mame onto the image, unless you are wanting to run much more recent mame games, and not the ones on the image.

2/ I've never heard of anyone swapping out the mother or daughterboard of these systems, I think quite honestly you would be asking for trouble, given the amount of custom hardware and drivers on the image to support the exact hardware already there.

3/ You can safely put in up to P4 2.4 Ghz into these older gameboards, but you will also need to upgrade the CPU fan - and don't run it with the steel box still on if you want it to last, the P4 will generate a lot of heat.

4/ These systems already run soft15khz, and support VGA, PAL, NTSC and most arcade monitors you can throw at them.

lastly - this image I made is something I have not used for years, when I bought my xxxx-1 cab off of ebay round about 2007, I had no idea about building a mame machine back in those days, so I just set about making my xxxx-1 better. To be frank, these systems are old and terribly outdated, horrible to maintain, painful to work on, and even worse when you want to add new systems or roms. You sound like you have most of the spare PC bits lying around already and have the skills, You are far better off building a mame machine from scratch, as you will have a much more flexible system.

Hi Jed, thanks heaps for your response!

To start with, I hadn't actually loaded the image you uploaded yet when I made my original post, and I must say that your version significantly improved the game play on quite a few games! I'm not sure how or why, but was great to see. The board is still stock in terms of RAM and CPU so I'm sure there are additional improvements to be had.

1. I was wondering about newer versions of mame more incase they had improved their code to make the games run more accurately with less CPU usage. However if you do not think it is necessary I'll leave it be.

2. I totally agree, it would be far too difficult to change the motherboard with the current software, however figured if it were possible to do then it could be set up with a windows XP install and just copy over the necessary drivers for the daughter board. It possibly is more effort than it is worth compared to the cost of a JPac, although it makes me wonder whether the button inputs are faster with a JPac or this daughter board.

3. Yeah I have considered looking around for a P4 chip, I already have the case removed which will help, but good to know about the fan.

4. Yeah this works fine with my arcade monitors, it was more with a potential XP install that I may need the soft15k.

I got this setup for free, hence my motivation to see what it is capable of rather than just building a mame machine in the first place. I agree this setup is a nightmare to work with, the front end is hard work with so many .ini files to synchronise. You've done well to polish it. Personally I'd rather have Mala because it is better suited to my limited range of skills..

Does anyone have a link to Commando's Windows XP image? I'd be interested to load it on a second hard drive to compare the speed differences on the same game board :D

Thanks for your help!

Hi guys so first of all thanks Jed for makeing this it looks great iv read the whole thread and seen the hard work that's been put into it I have read it twice as I'm haveing a problem I keep getting a blue screen I noticed this was a issue the link to fix is no longer available I know this is now a old system but it works well for the kids on the machine any help would be appreciated thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

hi Jed thank this great image mate.

but i seem to have an issue with it iv done everything you said and when i installed the IDE HDD to my Gamebox it started to load up with windows and then goes to a blue screen saying contact ur administrator so please tell me what im doing wrong and just so u know the gamebox i have is the red one with 4 red square button and volume noob and its got 1073 games some are copiers. and with that hdd its all in Chinese so i tried to change it with keyboard and mouse and no luck but i seem to have wrecked some of the game like pacman all the metal slugs and all these other game when i try to load a game it comes up with "cannot open file D:\Game_BOX\Pic\Slug.jpg." if am loading metal slug and if im loading pacman it comes up with "cannot open file D:\Game_BOX\Pic\cman.jpg." and so on for every game that doest work its the same message the only thing that changes is after the "Pic\*******.jpg.

pleasde mate if u can help me out it would be great thanks again Jed[ATTACH=CONFIG]114280[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114280[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

and how do i use the Acronis after iv extracted the 2 files step by step.

- - - Updated - - -

and i have a 80gig hdd how do i fomat it ntfs or fat

IMG_20170728_102832.thumb.jpg.6ee0d75dced0a078dfe1ea090a7660d2.jpg

IMG_20170728_102832.thumb.jpg.30ad74eac214defff4a54443e2af7f2e.jpg

hi Jed thank this great image mate.

but i seem to have an issue with it iv done everything you said and when i installed the IDE HDD to my Gamebox it started to load up with windows and then goes to a blue screen saying contact ur administrator so please tell me what im doing wrong and just so u know the gamebox i have is the red one with 4 red square button and volume noob and its got 1073 games some are copiers. and with that hdd its all in Chinese so i tried to change it with keyboard and mouse and no luck but i seem to have wrecked some of the game like pacman all the metal slugs and all these other game when i try to load a game it comes up with "cannot open file D:\Game_BOX\Pic\Slug.jpg." if am loading metal slug and if im loading pacman it comes up with "cannot open file D:\Game_BOX\Pic\cman.jpg." and so on for every game that doest work its the same message the only thing that changes is after the "Pic\*******.jpg.

pleasde mate if u can help me out it would be great thanks again Jed[ATTACH=CONFIG]114280[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114280[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

and how do i use the Acronis after iv extracted the 2 files step by step.

- - - Updated - - -

and i have a 80gig hdd how do i fomat it ntfs or fat

the pictures you are showing are not the image I made...

Thanks so much after my virus scanner deleted my 3 sided 1064 in 1

When I tried to back the drive up

I got my old system running with mamep files I have the flynns screen

But my old games are working but no flip for cocktail

The image is working great in my crt 2006 model 3 sided thanks so much :)

Thanks so much after my virus scanner deleted my 3 sided 1064 in 1

When I tried to back the drive up

I got my old system running with mamep files I have the flynns screen

But my old games are working but no flip for cocktail

The image is working great in my crt 2006 model 3 sided thanks so much :)

yeah - there is no screen flipping (cocktail) support in this image as it's for a 2P upright Cabinet - side by side play.

but I'm glad to hear the image got you going again :)

Yes the side by side works no cocktail that's ok I think I'm

On the hunt for babystar.exe from the 1054+

Systems

Jed your flynns screen is that in babystar or is it a confide

File as I was trying to copy the config files to see if it

Changed the flynns screen back to games family

Any cheers I'm playing again

Yes the side by side works no cocktail that's ok I think I'm

On the hunt for babystar.exe from the 1054+

Systems

Jed your flynns screen is that in babystar or is it a confide

File as I was trying to copy the config files to see if it

Changed the flynns screen back to games family

Any cheers I'm playing again

������������

yeah this system is games family and it uses the babystar exe.

My custom home screen is a bitmap file I made, you can change it to whatever, but the file name has to be exactly the same as it is now, or you'll get errors when the front end looks for it.

Edited by Jed

I put the games family bmp back in

Had to write protect it as flynns keeps writing over it modded some game files

And got 1253 games I press E and it goes back to your

Flynns with 1240

I paid $80 for a copy of my games room with cocktail 1050

I copied the missing files to games family and got my 1064 working

One error on boot up but alt/tab fixes it so I'm trying tying to run a boot

Configure system so I can have 3 hds in the system and pick witch

System I want to play havin fun :)

G'Day! Sorry to necro post. I picked up an LAI upright last year with a 2 layer pcb and a dead HDD.

It starts the regular chinise Windoos boot screen and gets stuck a 1/4 of the way into loading.

I've even gone as far as leave it to do it's thing for an hour and it hasn't moved.

Is anyone still offering a HDD ghost or possibly a new dump?

I'm happily playing my neo Geo on the cab but would like to play some CPS2 games.

Sorry again for the post bump. Willing to mail out the HDD if someone is able to have a look at it.

Cheers.

Would it be compatible with this board? I got my LAI with this installed but has boot issues. I'd be happy to grab one off you. Send me a PM and we can figure something out[ATTACH]124563[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Looks the same as the ones I have.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Anyone who has the 2019 in 1 non cased ones, if you look on the top board up near the jamma connector(under the kick harness connector) you'll see a 2 pin header next to an electrolytic capacitor that says pwrin. If you connect a button to the pin header, when you press the button, it will shut down the machine correctly. You can also turn it back on via the same button

Sent from my SM-G955F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Hello

Long time lurker here, i want to share my work on the HDD image kindly provided by Jed (thanks)

There are several warnings about it:

the emu system have been heavily cleaned so currently there is only 1 emulator left (MAME 105u2)

so no more 3D games, daphnee... sorry I'm still working on finding a way to add more emus properly

The system have 2400+ games. Only the more enjoyable/playable ones with some nice additions

it features a shutdown option, company name & year and screenshots correctly resized redone

the emulation is improved with a sharper looking, a better sounding and using triple buffer for smooth animation

There are also several systems and games tweaked by me featuring overclocking, sound balance correction and input lag reduction

The menu navigation have changed a bit: LEFT/RIGHT change letters now

So here are the flaws:

MOST IMPORTANT: As I use keyboard + usb joystick, I'm unsure my image work with standalone machine so i need feedback about control keys like NAVIGATE, SELECT a game or QUIT a game so I can try to repair that

My system works in VGA by now so it boots on VGA. You can still switch to NTSC using the machine menu + remote or by pluging a keyboard on your machine and press V key but I'm not sure it saves the change

My system is WIP so there are non working/slow games, missing screenshots... Because of all these my image is considered beta 00

The gamelist is unsorted so it contains mature games so be warned if you have kids

The restore/reset system is disabled for now, any change will be effective

My system is 2.40ghz and 512mb so performance may vary with less powered systems

Use a dezipper like 7-Zip or Winrar for extracting the image (Acronis format)

Thank you for reading my bad english and please feedback

997453541_thunderbeta00.png.f0d7fdf29d4fd8e7b3d560e6249e4a32.png

https://mega.nz/#F!Q0oSgSQK!10wfMq5X3nlTTMlSacc3Zw

• Like 1

Hello

Long time lurker here, i want to share my work on the HDD image kindly provided by Jed (thanks)

There are several warnings about it:

the emu system have been heavily cleaned so currently there is only 1 emulator left (MAME 105u2)

so no more 3D games, daphnee... sorry I'm still working on finding a way to add more emus properly

The system have 2400+ games. Only the more enjoyable/playable ones with some nice additions

it features a shutdown option, company name & year and screenshots correctly resized redone

the emulation is improved with a sharper looking, a better sounding and using triple buffer for smooth animation

There are also several systems and games tweaked by me featuring overclocking, sound balance correction and input lag reduction

The menu navigation have changed a bit: LEFT/RIGHT change letters now

So here are the flaws:

MOST IMPORTANT: As I use keyboard + usb joystick, I'm unsure my image work with standalone machine so i need feedback about control keys like NAVIGATE, SELECT a game or QUIT a game so I can try to repair that

My system works in VGA by now so it boots on VGA. You can still switch to NTSC using the machine menu + remote or by pluging a keyboard on your machine and press V key but I'm not sure it saves the change

My system is WIP so there are non working/slow games, missing screenshots... Because of all these my image is considered beta 00

The gamelist is unsorted so it contains mature games so be warned if you have kids

The restore/reset system is disabled for now, any change will be effective

My system is 2.40ghz and 512mb so performance may vary with less powered systems

Use a dezipper like 7-Zip or Winrar for extracting the image (Acronis format)

Thank you for reading my bad english and please feedback

[ATTACH=CONFIG]125368[/ATTACH]

https://mega.nz/#F!Q0oSgSQK!10wfMq5X3nlTTMlSacc3Zw

As this is a new image with your own preferences on games, mature games, and you have changed input schemes, you've changed video modes etc etc and this will not work in the xxxx-1 arcade machine that this thread is designed for in the first place, please make a new thread for this image in the arcade section, and rebrand it with your own name, change the home screen to reflect your own name, remove the FLYNNS name etc. Thanks.

The board works, yeah just gets stuck on Chinese bootleg windoos loading. The HDD is dead

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I'm getting the same thing with mine recently (games family xxxx-in-1). I've been able to use a usb to IDE converter to extract the data from the drive and did some snooping around to see how it works. Seems only writes are borked on my drive (which is why i was able to copy the data off) and as a part of the bootup process they extract an image to a partition which is where it freezes up trying to write to the drive. The HDD is a 20GB maxtor very very old no wonder its finally died.

I've got on order a converter that's able to give me a SATA to IDE/PATA interface so i can restore the image and partitions and plug a new SATA drive in, fingers crossed. Otherwise i'll give Flynns image a go if i have no luck.