Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

XBOX Timer boards - Anyone used one? Feedback please

Hey Guys,

I am looking getting an XBOX timer board to stick the XBOX in a jamma cabinet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xbox-console-time-control-timer-board-Jamma-cabinet-/250756462241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a623ff6a1

I will just set it to no timer do basically just using the controller encoders and RGB out for the jamma.

Has anyone used one before? What was the display quality like? I have read mixed reviews on these things going from great display to not very good display.

Might just suck it and see.

Let me know your thoughts on this guys.

I must come look at it one day because buggered If I could work it out :)

Anytime Mr D when you are in the neighbourhood..

http://www.starcab.net/ressources/docs/conv/XBOXxtimer.pdf

Pin 11 ,15,27 and 28 need to be re-wired on the jamma harnness in order to pick up all the buttons from the original controller but im using a lcd monitor with a video encoder which also does my PS2 Timer too

For the timer board does anyone know what video out it uses from the XBOX? Does it take a Component video signal and convert it to RGB or does it use Composite or S-Video? I don't think all the XBOX consoles have RGB out due to the different video chips used, is that right?

• 2 weeks later...

So my timer board arrived today. Good packaging - in bubble wrap, in a box, in two layers of bubble wrap, in several layers of packing tape.

Plugging it in took all of two seconds, but the monitor was scrolling. I figured that was because I had it set for 480p / 720p widescreen, so took it back upstairs to the telly and changed to to 480i / 4:3. Back downstairs - monitor still scrolling. Changed from NTSC to PAL. Monitor still scrolling. :realmad:

Any ideas? Monitor was working fine with PC-based xxxx-in-1 (see here).

EDIT:

Gave myself a crash course in arcade monitor adjustment with

. Was able to identify where all the relevant bits were, including the gain / hold etc pots, though couldn't make out which was which as angle was really awkward. Shoved a camera in and narrowed it down to two pots. Fired it up, twisted the first - no go. Twisted the second - fixed!

fyeah.jpg.1d8534f12855eea93562552131a75de6.jpg

Next challenge - why do the sticks work, but not the buttons? May have to hack a key to get the control panel open if it turns out to be something less-than-obvious (will have to do that anyway as want to replace buttons with different colours).

Edited by MattT

I haven't used an Xbox timer board, but I used one of the PS2 ones. The video needed to be changed in the settings and set to NTSC or 60hz in games.

Controls were a PITA and didn't work properly, so gave up and bought a J-PAC. A lot easier to use and definitely worth the extra money.

• 3 weeks later...

After having a muck around with it this morning, I've got a few bugs to work through:

Monitor - I need to find a way to get a consistent refresh rate across the system. If I have the vert hold adjusted so I can see the Evolution X boot menu, then I have to readjust after starting CoinOPS or MameOX. If I load Xbox titles off the HDD, some display fine, others need to be tweaked. I think I'll just make this 'go away' by having the Xbox boot straight to CoinOPS. The picture seems fine once it's going, though I still have some tweaking to do on the monitor.

Controls - the left trigger (LT1) is permanently on, which makes it impossible to select titles in CoinOPS - the list just scrolls at a million miles an hour. Disconnecting the controller momentarily gives you maybe five seconds without the trigger (and also disconnects the display - wtf), but it kicks in again. LT1 is wired to pin 28 GND - would this be the cause? Can I just unplug it?

Sound - not getting any sound through the cab speakers. I know they work coz they were running when I had an xxxx-in-1 PC in there a few weeks ago. Plugged in an RCA cable to the white mono out on the timer board and get sound fine through an external powered PC speaker. Not sure what the deal is here.

Any pro tips appreciated.

EDIT: Switched it back to NTSC. Same refresh rate across all games / apps now, so that's one down.

Edited by MattT

• 2 weeks later...