Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Voltages

Manta

Question

6 answers to this question

Yes it looks pretty right BUT you should be measuring the voltages (at the very least) right at the edge connector of the PCB rather than at the power supply itself and even better across a chip on the far end of the PCB away from the supply connector as there will be all sorts of voltage drops through connectors and wiring.

Never bother much about the -5V rail as it will rarely be -5V, same goes for the +12V it is only used (in most cases) for the audio amplifier so it isn't that critical.

The one to be concerned with is the +5V

For the +5v (which Homepin noted is the critical value), what I normally do is power on the PSU without a board and dial it to almost exactly +5v on the harness. Then I hook up the board and test again - it normally dips a little, so adjust again reading off the edge connector, or at the end of the board. Get it as close to +5v as possible, most don't recommend going as high as +5.2v once a board's connected.

If you're finding a big dip in the voltage, consider running more wiring to the +5v on the PSU. I've had issues in the past and Womble pointed the way - I upped the amount of cabling between the +5v pins on the JAMMA harness and the PSU, and all my power issues were solved :)