Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Spammers

me sell you t-shirt, 2 dollllarrrr you buy nowwwww..

though seriously, a 24-48 hour wait for new members would put alot of potential people off. the real email address and the decipha method would be best. though with decipha you'd want to turn it off after a week or so as it gets really annoying.

i read an article the other day, apparently there is software available now that spammers can use that read the little jpeg box with the letters in it that your supposed to key in to get rid of spammers.... what ever it is called

anyhow, looks like everytime something gets invented to keep them out, they find a way to get past it....

*sigh*

i read an article the other day, apparently there is software available now that spammers can use that read the little jpeg box with the letters in it that your supposed to key in to get rid of spammers.... what ever it is called

anyhow, looks like everytime something gets invented to keep them out, they find a way to get past it....

Yup, old news. This sort of stuff has been around for ages. It's obviously a sign that AussieArcade is getting enough traffic now for them to see it as a valid target (consider that a back-handed compliment to you all :) ).

As always, the "swiss army knife" approach is the only way to get rid of them. Don't rely on one technology, and don't believe any salesman who claims their snake-oil product will get rid of spammers with just one simple bit of software.

Good modding, good firewalling, and sane forum rules (needing a valid email address to sign up, needing to pass a visual test, limiting the number of posts/time before someone can post in "for sale" forums, etc) will keep them to a minimum.

There is still no automated way around confirmed opt-in , it requires a real person from a real computer and valid email address.

I beg to differ. I can quite trivially write a script that generates a valid email address on my domain, and then listens for an email and hits any URL embedded within the email.

I've done such things before when writing my own mailing list managers.

I beg to differ. I can quite trivially write a script that generates a valid email address on my domain, and then listens for an email and hits any URL embedded within the email.

I've done such things before when writing my own mailing list managers.

I'm assuming you know a little about how spammers operate , the type of spammers effecting AA don't operate from legitimate domains that have the ability to generate and then receive a "confirm" mailing list confirmation.

100% of the spam that is hitting AA is coming via exploited hosts , be that Trojan / bot infected PC's or misconfigured mail servers , as is the case with 90% of spam.

This is why banning these spammers IP addresses will have nil effect.

I challenge you to write a script that will use any other IP or Host other than your own that could achieve membership in any confirmed opt-in mailing list.

I'm assuming you know a little about how spammers operate , the type of spammers effecting AA don't operate from legitimate domains

Who needs a legitimate domain? IP and DNS spoofing is as old as the hills. The Chinese are the world's best at that. :)

I challenge you to write a script that will use any other IP or Host other than your own that could achieve membership in any confirmed opt-in mailing list.

No worries. With the recently discovered DNS UDP-flooding flaws out there, it's easier than ever!

Seriously though: the point is there is no *one* system that works. Your best bet is once again the "swiss army knife" approach: use a little of everything to minimise your exploitable vector. Security 101. I'm not saying don't use opt-in. I'm saying don't use *only* opt-in and nothing else.

As a good buddy high up in banking systems security says: "The only secure system is one turned off, uplugged, filled with concrete, and thrown into the sea".

And even then I know a few forensics guys who could still have a go at that and get some decent data off it. :)

Spammer: "You buy shoe, me love you long time"

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

top work mate

dont forget the other golden oldie....

im looking for a responsible person to help me transfer the entire world economy to your bank account. please give me all your personal details to make this transaction as smooth as possible. :D

• 5 months later...
What do people get out of doing this.

Unfortunately the spammers that are good at what they do earn millions , I have a certain spammer's financial records that show income averaging around $43,000 per month.

Think of it this way , if you want to do a mail out to advertise your business it will cost you 55cents for a stamp , a Spammer will deliver the same message to a thousand email addresses for the same price.

So your odds of getting business from the same 55 cents are a 1000 times higher! .

A lot of spammers will send out several million spams per day at a rate of $500 per Million spam, there is no shortage of people out there willing to pay to make this problem worse.

Spammers win both ways because sending email is free , it's the receivers that pay!!

Unfortunately the spammers that are good at what they do earn millions , I have a certain spammer's financial records that show income averaging around $43,000 per month.

Think of it this way , if you want to do a mail out to advertise your business it will cost you 55cents for a stamp , a Spammer will deliver the same message to a thousand email addresses for the same price.

So your odds of getting business from the same 55 cents are a 1000 times higher! .

A lot of spammers will send out several million spams per day at a rate of $500 per Million spam, there is no shortage of people out there willing to pay to make this problem worse.

Spammers win both ways because sending email is free , it's the receivers that pay!!

Whew....i never realised that spamming was really big business:o Thats some serious cash for sitting on your pc!

ok.. Lets compile all of our address books and do a mass SPAM out and split to proceeds..!

Of course I haven't mentioned the pitfalls and special treatment spammers get :) but I can share that the host of AA is an active anti spammer , well I think he is because he always deletes my emails hehe.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my 2c...

Putting a forum wide delay on new members might deter new comers like myself, since new members generally want to learn and have their questions answered. But, it could be a good thing to make new users wait a while (something like a few weeks or a month) before they have access to private trading section of the forums. This would prevent people signing up just to spam the trading forums.