Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Red Jamma Gamebox 1000 in one system does not work

infinite1977

Question

Hey Guys, I purchased a red 1000 in one gamebox unit (Jamma) not too long ago and gave it to a fellow aussie Arcade member so he can have a look and add some more games to it. He managed to add another game which was good but I think in the process some connections came off while he was playing with it all and now the screen when you boot the unit up is split into two vertically. Does anyone know where I can take it to get it fixed? I am located in Melbourne in the northern suburbs.

P.S Does anyone also know if and how I can make this thing free play as I am sick of constantly putting in credit to make it work?

Cheers

Edited by infinite1977

22 answers to this question

Gee's these things seem like nothing but trouble, always something going wrong with someones. Has anyone actually had one working for over a year:unsure

I hope they last for a while. I just setup a cab for a friend with one.

My golden rule is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

P.S Does anyone also know if and how I can make this thing free play as I am sick of constantly putting in credit to make it work?

Cheers

In some games e.g CPS2 (SF2 marvel vs capcom) games or Midway (NBA jam) games you can go into the configuration and set some to free play and chage other setting.

As for the older games I think you will have to keep pressing that credit button as they were set by dip switches and not Eprom's.

P.S. the only problem I have with mine is the shitty volume knob, one second it works fine then stars blasting at full volume, will look at it one day.

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know if this thing ever gets fixed. I have taken it to an arcade place and some tech's are looking at it. If they work out what was wrong I will let everyone know incase anyone has the same issue.

As for the volume, well mine does exactly the same thing. They are good as a little system, I just hope it gets fixed otherwise I will be ion the market for another system, might look at the family system next as it has replacement hard drives etc.

Can anyone get these at a decent price?

Gee's these things seem like nothing but trouble, always something going wrong with someones. Has anyone actually had one working for over a year:unsure

Nothing but trouble? It seems the only trouble is when people try to crack them open and muck about with them.

Plug them in, turn them on, and they'll run forever and a day.

Nothing but trouble? It seems the only trouble is when people try to crack them open and muck about with them.

Plug them in, turn them on, and they'll run forever and a day.

That is one of the reasons why I prefer a MAME setup, I can customise it to my own liking use what processor I feel is adequate, use different sound devices, what frontend etc. The 1000 in one's just don't really appeal to me due to breakage with customisation, and knowing me I would want to tweak it to play just that extra game or two that was missing. :)

edit with a JPAC and an AVGA card

That is one of the reasons why I prefer a MAME setup, I can customise it to my own liking use what processor I feel is adequate, use different sound devices, what frontend etc. The 1000 in one's just don't really appeal to me due to breakage with customisation, and knowing me I would want to tweak it to play just that extra game or two that was missing. :)

+1 :D

Matthew

That is one of the reasons why I prefer a MAME setup

Me too. I don't use XXX-in-1 because I find setting up MAME a walk in the park (including custom modelines).

Plenty of people find it too hard, can't be bothered, or don't have the time. XXX-in-1 is a nice plug-and-play solution for them.

ArcadeVGA is missing plenty of modes. See Arcade King's thread about Irem titles in particular not syncing properly (all the R-Types, Hammering Harry, and anything else running on the m72 MAME driver).

The ArcadeVGA is just another "plug-and-play" thing for people. I prefer creating my own modelines in software from MAME's XML output. That way I get 100% compatibility, and don't have any games out of sync or with image tearing.

Me too. I don't use XXX-in-1 because I find setting up MAME a walk in the park (including custom modelines).

Plenty of people find it too hard, can't be bothered, or don't have the time. XXX-in-1 is a nice plug-and-play solution for them.

ArcadeVGA is missing plenty of modes. See Arcade King's thread about Irem titles in particular not syncing properly (all the R-Types, Hammering Harry, and anything else running on the m72 MAME driver).

The ArcadeVGA is just another "plug-and-play" thing for people. I prefer creating my own modelines in software from MAME's XML output. That way I get 100% compatibility, and don't have any games out of sync or with image tearing.

Its a pity more people don't give a MAME setup a go, I only bought a PC to play MAME and had it running (with a bit of research) within hours . With no prior knowledge of Windozze . (Mac user :))Then more more research led me to playing MAME on an Arcade cab, hence the JPAC and back then Advance MAME with an old ATI rage(?) video card.

But I liked the idea of the AVGA when it came out and saved a few dollars and loved the way I could use windozze on the Arcade Cab for future configuration if and when needed and of course experimented with every available emulator.

Now just happy to have two MAME cabs (Vertical and horizontal) I recommend the two, as Vertical games are OK on a large Horizontal monitor but you will always seem to lose a bit of screen at top or bottom.

Tearing in games gets me a bit so maybe down the track I should try something like you have done by creating my own modelines, but for now I like the setup and happy just to play some ( a lot ) of shooters.

It funny as about 6 or 7 years ago (has it been that long :o) I was going to drop a PC monitor into a perfectly working cocktail just to play MAME games on it now, I would not even consider doing it (unless it was empty and I was going to sell it to someone who doesn't mind:badgrin)

Actually think its been more like 8 years :o:o agh well its been a good learning curve and enjoyed every moment.:D

Finally got it working

Thanks to everyone who replied to my red box problem. I took the unit to a place called Game masters in Preston where a friend of mine works. After looking at it for a while and checking all the soldering was on properly, he managed to get into the settings and realised that it was not set on the right resolution which was making it play up, I have a feeling it changed screen resolutions when Kage plugged it in to a PC. Anyway, we changed the setting to suit a 15hz screen and all fixed. So if this happens to anyone else now you know.

Red Box

Just as I thought I was on a winner. I got my red box home and installed it and the menu and games come up ok, but when you try and load a game an error message comes up and no game will load.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

cant read the message as it is not clear. I was wondering if there was a way of restting these units to factory condition or something, otherwise I am thinking that some file is corrupt. I dont know, it is starting to piss me off. I am thinking of selling it.

I have one of these 1000 in 1 red Gamebox also and the hdd has failed so I now can not get the red box to work anymore. Does anyone know if the board that is on top of the computer motherboard works with other emulators or does it only work with Gamebox software. I have tried a few and got a few buttons to work like credits and 1 or 2 player but knot the oysticks.

I have played with mame from the original days when it first came out and someone offered about 6 cd's with a lot of the roms on it. All i cared about was space invaders, pacman and scrambler.

Any help if with the C drive software or drivers would be helpful. I have been able to save the D: drive as I tried to use a bigger hdd to add my emulators and roms which I have.

Thanks Harry

Does anyone have the image of the red game box 1000

- - - Updated - - -

I keep getting this error message when I try to load a game like NBA JAM this comes up "Cannot open file D:\Game_Box\Pic\bajam.jpg."

Most of the games come up with this message

Please help me out if u guys know what to do.