Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Batman 66 - the next Stern

chopchop

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this for real? If it is, Stern need their heads looking at.

If it's not, and someone has put this up as a joke, I'd take it down quick smart because it runs rough-shod over Stern's rights (use of logo, mis-representation, etc).

Sadly, I suspect it's for real :(

Michi.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's real, I just found the Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/saved/?cref=53

Amazing, isn't it? I honestly thought that someone might have put up that site as a joke. It says something about this particular marketing strategy…

Michi.

Making people grovel like this is distasteful to me. Plus claiming the rights to the application and video and not allowing people to sell the machine for 18 months (other than back to Stern) exerts a lot more control than I would accept. In effect, this isn't a purchase, it's a leasing agreement over 18 months, with full payment up-front and 0% residual at the end of the term, with unknown buy-back value if someone does decide to sell back to Stern before the 18 months are up.

Some marketing person obviously thinks that Stern can make good use of videos of people with large collections telling everyone how great Stern machines are. I guess the plan is to get loads of videos, farm them for quotable quotes, and turn that into advertising. It all looks rather blunt and cheap to me. Definitely on the not-so-subtle side of things…

Michi.

Edited by Michi

They will get their 30 videos.

The 18 month thing is interesting as a lot of these US guys seem to flip pinballs pretty quickly.

Plus people could always sell them privately... Not sure what kind of agreement Stern would make buyers sign

It's a bit weird in pinball, but it has been done before for cars - sort of. If you bought a new Lexus LF-A you only "leased it" for the first 12 months so people couldn't on-sell them for a profit. You didn't have to take a pic of your garage prior though. I like getting LE's when they are released (mainly because I'm inpatient) but these SLE's are only for the seriously dedicated Batman or Pinball Fans with collections that stay put. I don't mind Stern going out of their way to make more profit - secures their future and the future of new pinball production. Probably good marketing ploy in some way that I don't understand, but I'll leave this to them and maybe look into the "normal" LE for this one.

They will get their 30 videos.

I suspect they'll get a lot more than 30, giving them a nice selections of testimonials for a promotional video.

Michi.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a bit weird in pinball, but it has been done before for cars - sort of. If you bought a new Lexus LF-A you only "leased it" for the first 12 months so people couldn't on-sell them for a profit.

Yes, it's a tried and proven marketing strategy. And I don't have a problem as such with a limitation on on-selling for some time. But, in that case, I would really expect to see an up-front known buy-back price.

You didn't have to take a pic of your garage prior though.

Yes. That's where the bad taste comes into it for me. The entire thing looks cheap and unprofessional to me. I don't like being offered deals where, as the customer, I have to debase myself for the privilege of handing over my money. In effect, this scheme turns the customer into a product Stern can sell.

Michi.

Makes me scared for what they will do with star wars. I mean batman Is a big franchise In general. So are a lot of things stern has done. But a new star wars pin would easily be their biggest ever. Are they testing the market to see what they can get away with again?

Think I read somewhere that distributors in the US aren't taking anymore 'spots' for star wars because they are already full? Crazy if true.

My take is that it is an option. So they are reserving the right, but not the obligation, to buy it back.

If a third party was willing to pay, say $20k for your Super Dooper LE you'd have to give Stern the option of buying it back at that price within the first 18 months.

Frankly I struggle to see how they'd enforce it but...

Just photoshop inserts ghosting and lifting. Airbubbles on decals. Divertor. Not divertoring. Tell stern you want full price for it. When they say no sell it to someone else ;)

Michi, star wars is a strong rumour. Steve Richie and someone. Stern teased it in one of their videos a while back. They had Dwight sitting in front of his pc talking. And he Googled 'star wars' and clicked on images.

Batman 66 - the next Stern

Application responses are coming back from Stern already saw this on Pinside [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160914/5acd1a32f6f9427d635d90450097cff1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GORGAR 1

• Administrators

If Stern limit the ability of the buyer to re-sell the game within 18 months it will stop some of the quick profit guys from buying one an re-listing it on Ebay for profit next day. If you are a guy who flips new pins 6 months after you buy it because you are bored with it then you are probably not too happy, but if you are the guy who buys titles he likes and keeps them then you probably don't care too much. I would rather see this than see a new machine bought for $13K on Monday and flipped for $18K on Wednesday just because a guy was lucky enough to win a chance to buy it in a draw or know someone who jagged him a chance to buy it.

Should limit the number of people jostling to get an invite to buy in any case, better for the real fan.

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

@gorgar1

Pete, you have been naughty posting that.......very naughty :lol

Michi, star wars is a strong rumour. Steve Richie and someone. Stern teased it in one of their videos a while back. They had Dwight sitting in front of his pc talking. And he Googled 'star wars' and clicked on images.

Ah, thanks for that! One thing that company definitely needs to improve on is keeping secrets :)

A Star Wars machine has potential, no doubt. Would be hugely popular for sure. And with Steve Richie involved, who knows, it could actually turn out to be a good game ;)

Cheers,

Michi.

I have two Sterns and want a third but that is just crazy!

Oh please Stern can I buy a pinball machine from you? Pretty PLEEAASSEE........

I would honestly be ashamed to say I owned one of these super dooper LE's as it would mean I filled out one of those forms!

Shark, well and truly jumped!

I think Stern are just hedging their bets. Pre-empting sales by invitation only shows this is just a mask for pre-orders. Something I remember Mr Stern saying was not part of Sterns objectives in a podcast interview, this way sales figures are met and key indicators are flagged prior to going in full manufacturing. They are testing the publics reaction to innovative design something is changing and Stern are curious to see how it's accepted by the public.

I also think part of the reason for the buyback would be a so they can remove the machine off the market in case things dont go to plan a bit like the GB ghosting issue essentially offering a market value refund or keep it and have no recourse with issues. If this is the case it's fair and a smart marketing move a bit like a profitable recall collect profit break even on costs.

Edited by hotty

My take is that it is an option. So they are reserving the right, but not the obligation, to buy it back.

If a third party was willing to pay, say $20k for your Super Dooper LE you'd have to give Stern the option of buying it back at that price within the first 18 months.

Frankly I struggle to see how they'd enforce it but...

Which would suck as rumour has it priced at $30K for us.

Oh mr Stern, please please please please give me the option of throwing away all my money. I don't care if inserts fall out or the playfield dents and shit blows up. I really want one.

FFS. **** me Stern.

Time to give up pinball.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Which would suck as rumour has it priced at $30K for us.

Oh mr Stern, please please please please give me the option of throwing away all my money. I don't care if inserts fall out or the playfield dents and shit blows up. I really want one.

FFS. **** me Stern.

Time to give up pinball.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

$30k? Seriously? For a pinball machine? It would need to do an awful lot more with my balls than bashing them with flippers to justify that sort of money.