Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Warning- buying pins

nasco62

Just a warning to fellow members on here as I know a lot of us run ads for wanted to buy. I got a call this afternoon with someone who sounded in hurry wanting to sell me a Monster Bash and AC/DC. 7k for the Monster Bash Send me a photo no can't sorry why... no real explanation. Did a quick bit of Detective work and found the guys name on Facebook from the number, names did not match the name he had given me, but wanted me to come a look right away with the cash. I dropped it on him what his real name was and I was going to be contacting the Newcastle Police. The house address was at a dead end backing onto bushland. Then he turned to water I'm on bail. In the process of contacting the Cops.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning- buying pins

Thanks a lot for posting this, it's a bit of a reality check for this kind of thing. I had a call last year about a machine that was in a shed in a middle of nowhere. I was very nervous to say the least before and on arrival, luckily was all legit on that occasion , and it was only a 1k machine, but it makes you think twice about being in these situations, cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Yep looking at the location he was planing to roll me!

Most definitely looking to roll you.

These days in Adelaide we often go with another pinhead if the seller is an unknown.

My wife used to get worried about me going to look at pins when I first started collecting.

I went to see @judgeboz for the first time and was gone for hours. She thought I'd been raped and murdered (she was only half right).

:p

Yes, thanks for the warning and I'm sure we all appreciate. We should all be aware of these scammers. It has become very common over the last few years, with everything from items advertised on Gumtree/ebay to bikes and cars advertised also. Be very mindful of these people and always try and obtain as much info as possible before attending an address. I can only assume we all have more knowledge of pinball machines than the scammers/crooks, so use this to your advantage and ask questions that only someone with a genuine interesting knowledge in pinball/arcade machines would know. If something seems to good to be true, it most likely is! Thanks again for warning.

Ifs never a quick pick up at Judgeboz. Been to a few strangers places and scam never crossed my mind

Thankfully all top blokes.This thread is an eye opener for me.

Yeah, I have probably gotten a bit complacent also. This is a bit of a wake up call. You get excited when someone contacts you with a pin for sale or going to someone's house to repair a machine you've never played. Wouldn't have thought it could be a dangerous scam like the original poster spoke about. That could have ended very badly. Thank you for the heads up.

I went to see @judgeboz for the first time and was gone for hours. She thought I'd been raped and murdered (she was only half right).

:p

Yep first time I met john was going to be a quick visit to look over an arcade machine. 6 hrs later at about 2am I left.

No raping or murder though that's a special John and Brad thing obviously :)

Just a warning to fellow members on here as I know a lot of us run ads for wanted to buy. I got a call this afternoon with someone who sounded in hurry wanting to sell me a Monster Bash and AC/DC. 7k for the Monster Bash Send me a photo no can't sorry why... no real explanation. Did a quick bit of Detective work and found the guys name on Facebook from the number, names did not match the name he had given me, but wanted me to come a look right away with the cash. I dropped it on him what his real name was and I was going to be contacting the Newcastle Police. The house address was at a dead end backing onto bushland. Then he turned to water I'm on bail. In the process of contacting the Cops.

I think I'm way too trusting, odds on I would have been rolled.

You should have turned up in a van with 10 big, burley mates hiding in the back. But answer the door on your own, otherwise if he saw your crew he most likely wouldn't answer. It would just look like you brought the van to load the pins into. Then when he did open the door, whistle for your buddies! Tell him, "Yeah, our MMA Fight Club want to buy the pins for the club house. The guys want to check them all out together!". :D

I don't get it. If they give you a real address ie you knock on a door and enter. If you then get rolled you'd report them at that address to the cops

And their just sitting on the money waiting for the cops to turn up.

I don't think so.

And their just sitting on the money waiting for the cops to turn up.

I don't think so.

My point was that the residential address would have to be either owned by them or at least a friend - otherwise how did they get into the house?

I have no doubt that this was a scam but don't quite understand how it would work - unless they plan to deny everything once the cops arrive :unsure