Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

2017 TZ Cooly Pinball Classic

I always make sure I give you some hugs

:)

Hey, thanks for the massage too! I was about to return the favour when you had to walk up to your game. Will make up for that next time ;)

Michi.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

I just wanted to again say a massive thank you to EVERYONE for their attendance, support, help and general great spirit during the past weekend at the 2017 TZ Cooly Pinball Classic. When we first looked at running the event back in January this year, we weren't sure how running 5 IFPA events in 3 days would turn out, and thankfully all seemed to go to plan. We had a grand total of 80 different players attend at least 1 event over the weekend, including the locals and those from Northern NSW, Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide, and I can't thank all players enough for coming along. When you consider that there were a number of players who couldn't attend due to various reasons (cancelled flights, roads cut, illness), we were absolutely stoked with the numbers.

The results from all 5 competitions have now been submitted, and we wait to see everyone receive their IFPA points.

AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP

What a fantastic sight to see a total of 21 players in attendance on the Friday night! We originally had a goal to make 16 players, but to end up with 21 ladies (including a few new players) was superb. A high quality field of ladies meant that competition was going to be tough. After each played their 10 games of qualifying, the Top 8 finalists were soon realised:

1st - Hollie Mills @molliehills

2nd - Esther Ahronheim @adania

3rd - Chelle McIntyre

4th - Irene Watt

5th - Emily Cosson

6th - Naiomi Goodwin

7th - Lee Hutchison

8th - Michelle Clark

The ladies then broke off into 2 groups of 4, with the Top 2 players in each group advancing to the final round after their 3 games. These 4 making it through were:

1st - Irene Watt

2nd - Naiomi Goodwin

3rd - Hollie Mills

4th - Esther Ahronheim

Each of the ladies played a further 5 games (1 game on each machine), with ESTHER AHRONHEIM being declared the first-ever Australian Women's Champion. Here are the final results:

1st - Esther Ahronheim (29 pts)

2nd - Irene Watt (23 pts)

3rd - Hollie Mills (17 pts)

4th - Naiomi Goodwin (11 pts)

It was great to play a part in hosting the first Australian's Women tournament in this country and look forward to being a part of it again in the future!

COOLY CLASSIC 3-STRIKES

While the Women battled it out on the Friday night, the Men also had their opportunity with a 3-strikes tournament being held at the same time. What started with 34 players, quickly dwindled down to a handful as players were given strikes from finishing 3rd & 4th place in their matches. In the end, PETER WATT come out in front as the Champion in this event, running through the field UNDEFEATED and earning no strikes. The Top 3 were as follows:

1st - Peter Watt

2nd - Greg Gee @G

Equal 3rd - Travis Bishop @saber007 & Jason Lambert

It was nearly 1am before players had finished the comps, and thank you to Jamin & Timezone for allowing us to stay back so late after trading hours.

COOLY CLASSIC

Wow! 61 players! Simply amazing! Thank you to each and every single one of you for making this event as big as it was. There were some great results posted by ALL players, and thank you to all for your patience with us throughout the event. Nearly 1100 scores had to be written down, signed, verified, entered and double checked. There were players arriving from the start at 9.30am, right through until 4pm. In the end, qualifying time was extended while we had so many scores to enter, with qualifying wrapping up at 8pm. The Top 16 players advanced through to the gruelling finals rounds:

1st - Richard Rhodes @RGR

2nd - Luke Marburg @LCM

3rd - Tim Chapman @timmychap

4th - Peter Watt @greengoblin

5th - Brett Goodwin @Brett2280

6th - Paul Jones @specialharmony

7th - Rob Singh @Replay

8th - Greg Gee

9th - Andrew Ferguson @cardini

10th - Russell Dagger @rusty_dagger

11th - Travis Bishop

12th - Jason Lambert

13th - Jasen Mouritsen @acejas

14th - Andrew Winter

Equal 15th - Grant Stephens & Gavin Drogemuller @droogi

In all matches, the highest seed took on the lowest seed, and so on, until all players were paired up in a match. Each match was a Best-of-5 series, which set the stage for some unbelievable and extremely close games. My personal highlight was the incredibly close 5 game match I had against Timmy Chap on Volley in Round 2 (albeit on the losing end of it). Some other great contests included Russell Dagger taking down Richard Rhodes on Batman '66, after Richard hadn't lost a game on that machine in 7 or 8 games, and of course the final match with Paul Jones & Russell Dagger on Kiss, and many many others. In the end, after nearly 16 hours of qualifying and finals (finished just after 1am), we crowned the first Cooly Classic champion in PAUL JONES Congratulations Paul on yet another fantastic tournament victory. Here were the Top 8 place getters, as follows:

1st - Paul Jones

2nd - Russell Dagger

3rd - Richard Rhodes

4th - Tim Chapman

5th - Peter Watt

6th - Greg Gee

7th - Jason Lambert

8th - Grant Stephens

As I alluded to during the presentation, QLD seems to be a great place for Paul Jones to come and play the Aussie Majors. Paul is now 3-from-3 when it comes to the Majors here in the 'sunny state', having won last year's ACS & Brisbane Masters in Brisbane, and now the Cooly Classic. Unfortunately for Russell, this is also now the 2nd time he has fallen just short in a major, with the first time being pipped by Peter Watt in the first Brisbane Masters in 2015. All in all though, a great result for all players in the finals.

FLIP FRENZY #1 & #2

With the 'serious' events done and dusted, it was time to move on to the 'fast, fun & frenetic' formats, known as the Flip Frenzy. Players had the option of playing in either event on the Sunday or - for the pinball mad - playing in both in a 7-hour marathon (2 x 3.5 hour events). 36 & 37 players in event respectively we keen to give the 'frenzy' of pinball a go, with some very different results coming out of both.

Top 5 - Flip Frenzy 1:

1st - Brett Goodwin (20-3)

2nd - Jasen Mouritsen (20-7)

3rd - Grant Quinn (18-10)

4th - Grant Stephens (18-12)

5th - Warren Beetham (17-12)

Top 5 - Flip Frenzy 2:

1st - Tony Woods (22-6)

2nd - Greg Gee (21-5)

3rd - Paul Jones (19-3)

4th - Brett Goodwin (19-5)

5th - Jason Lambert (18-9)

Special mention must go to Emily Cosson, who of course being the youngest competitor in the Flip Frenzy, finished in 6th in the 2nd event with a 18-13 win-loss record. What an amazing result Emily!

With results out of the way, I'd like to personally thank the following people for all of their assistance and more over the weekend:

Scorers - Chris Wade @JoeSoap , Geoff Wills, Tim Chapman, Kirsty Watt, Alex Uribe (Timezone), Jamin Jacub (Timezone), Widya Anwar (Timezone), Luke Marburg

Without all of you helping enter scores, we'd probably still be waiting for results now :) Luke, the spreadsheet set up you have for Flip Frenzy is wonderful and an absolute breeze to use. Looking forward to the automatic queuing set up to come soon!

Machine providers - Timezone Coolangatta, Timezone Surfers Paradise, Peter Watt, Hollie Mills, Luke French, Rob Singh, Brett Goodwin

Wow! These machines copped an absolute battering over the 3 days, not to mention the transport to and from the venue. All machines held up very well until the final Flip Frenzy, where a few started to give in. Without machines, we can't play pinball!

To the other volunteers that assisted with score verification on the Saturday - I apologise for not remembering your names - but your help went a long way to moving the event along. Thank you so very much for giving up your time and hope you got your little something from us. Enjoy!

Venue - Timezone Coolangatta, Jamin Jacub & Juan Uribe. What an amazing venue to host an event. I'm sure there were a few people who weren't sure if it would be a suitable location to play a pinball comp, but everyone was impressed. (Maybe it is had something to do with the bar being close by??? :P ) All I can say is that NOTHING was any trouble at all. Thank you for the great setup, for the use of the machines, for the extra prizes, for organising the player discounts, for staying open late on Friday & Saturday night, for being the best Arcade & Entertainment venue in the country. We cannot speak highly enough for what Juan, Jamin & crew do for our pinball community in South QLD, and this weekend was a true testament to that.

Fellow Tournament committee - Peter Watt & Hollie Mills. When we started talking back in January, it's amazing how everything was able to fall into place. Each of us played our part in getting the events up and running and I couldn't have asked for a better duo to have helped run the event all weekend long. As most of you know, Peter fell ill on the Saturday and was unable to attend on the Sunday. I can assure you that Peter felt incredibly awful that he couldn't make it, but a person's health is more important than anything else. Hope you get well very very soon Pete! As for Hollie, what a barrel of laughs, plenty of hugs and more. Certainly helped make the stressful times over the weekend (not that I stress much) all seem to go away. Thank you both of you for your help and support, and all things going well, we'll be back up for it again in 2018.

Players - I have said it already, but I simply cannot thank everyone enough for making this event a success. Like the pins themselves, no players = no tournament. I cannot stress enough how much I love the pinball community. Everyone played in great spirits the entire weekend, despite the long late nights (or is that drunk the spirits on offer??), and this is why I enjoyed helping running these events each and every year. To those from interstate, thank you for heading up to the Sunshine State one more time (some for the first time) and we hope we made a positive impression on all of you, one that you can take back to where you are, and keep this dream of growing pinball in Australia alive.

That just about wraps it all up. I know this was long, and probably a long time coming, I just hope I haven't missed anyone in this post. Thank you once again for being a part of the 2017 Timezone Cooly Pinball Classic. Next up here in QLD will be the 2017 Brisbane Masters (planning started yesterday!) and no doubt we will be back for the 2018 Cooly Classic!

Cheers,

Lambo

It's good to see Jason, that you can make the time for yourself to get in there and play. So many people who organise, sit back, but your to good of a player to have to do that? Thankyou for organising the Cooley, By the way, a cool name, and hopefully I will be up there next year to say hello and have my arse whipped. Oh, and play pinball too. Ha.

A big thank you to @Lambo , and all the others above (and I'm sure there were many others who helped behind the scenes) for all contributing to a great weekend of pinball. I'm sure you put in many long hours making the inaugural Cooly Classic the success it was.

I look forward to meeting up with some of you again next year - as well as meeting at other pinball comps along the way.

• 3 months later...