Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

location location

TWS

Hi TWS are you on facebook? if so join the FB group in my sig and search for the post pinballs on location, bump the post also as it's probably time that Tye updated it as he operates a few pins in Hobart and I think some of them have been moved around since that thread was current.

Hi TWS are you on facebook? if so join the FB group in my sig and search for the post pinballs on location, bump the post also as it's probably time that Tye updated it as he operates a few pins in Hobart and I think some of them have been moved around since that thread was current.

not a big Facebook user but ill look into it where do you normally see them for sale?

the Facebook page listed above?

Pinballs are not often advertised exclusively for sale on the Tassie Pinball and Arcade FB group mostly because it is a relatively small audience, there are 100 members. That said a few games have been sold within the group and members often post links to games that are for sale in Tasmania on Gumtree and eBay.

As for your question "where do you buy them?" My personal experience is that I have bought 5 pinballs over the last 8 years, one from a local collector, one from a trusted member on Aussie Arcade in Queensland, one NIB from a distributor in Vic, one each from Aussie Arcade sponsors Pinball Shed and Pinball Classics. I have only sold one pin and that went back to Mainland, my preference is they stay here :)

If you want to limit your search to Tassie you will also be very limited in choice and you will need to be very patient, if you are looking for a particular title chances are it will never turn up locally. Take your time, check out the trusted AA sponsors shops, keep an eye on the AA pins for sale section, subscribe to searches on Gumtree and eBay, "like" pinball sellers on Facebook.

Shipping to Tas can cost between $250 and $600 depending on carrier and insurance and pick up etc etc and can be a PIA to organise, but it is doable, easier if a store sorts it for you though.

The problem is not where to look it's that there are too many places to look, other problem is prices of popular titles is insane right now, my opinion is pricing is probably near peak and will start to come down slowly now before it drops off a cliff in 10 years when everyone tries to sell them at the same time to fund their retirement.

To decide what title you want you can play the games on Pinball Arcade on most popular gaming platforms, read reviews on http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl and watch youtube gameplay. Also go to meets and take note of what you enjoyed playing, you just missed out on a meet at Devonport that had a great collection of pins to play. We don't have many meets in Tas but when we do they are usually advertised on our FB group. If you are serious about collecting then check out the meets section on AA and go to some mainland or NZ meets. Plenty of pinball arcades with great titles in Melbourne to visit also, paying $200 to go to Melb to play pinball is cheap compared to buying a pin.

Then there is the whole other subject of how you evaluate condition, this is something you will need to research or you will potentially be disappointed with your purchase.

Take your time and enjoy the chase.......I just purchased another pin last week and was hoping to have it here this weekend but the soundcard failed on his final test before shipping so now I'm waiting for that to be repaired and I'm not sure when my game will turn up. The patience required in this hobby is huge, I waited 7 years to get my Asteroids multiboard.

Pinballs are not often advertised exclusively for sale on the Tassie Pinball and Arcade FB group mostly because it is a relatively small audience, there are 100 members. That said a few games have been sold within the group and members often post links to games that are for sale in Tasmania on Gumtree and eBay.

As for your question "where do you buy them?" My personal experience is that I have bought 5 pinballs over the last 8 years, one from a local collector, one from a trusted member on Aussie Arcade in Queensland, one NIB from a distributor in Vic, one each from Aussie Arcade sponsors Pinball Shed and Pinball Classics. I have only sold one pin and that went back to Mainland, my preference is they stay here :)

If you want to limit your search to Tassie you will also be very limited in choice and you will need to be very patient, if you are looking for a particular title chances are it will never turn up locally. Take your time, check out the trusted AA sponsors shops, keep an eye on the AA pins for sale section, subscribe to searches on Gumtree and eBay, "like" pinball sellers on Facebook.

Shipping to Tas can cost between $250 and $600 depending on carrier and insurance and pick up etc etc and can be a PIA to organise, but it is doable, easier if a store sorts it for you though.

The problem is not where to look it's that there are too many places to look, other problem is prices of popular titles is insane right now, my opinion is pricing is probably near peak and will start to come down slowly now before it drops off a cliff in 10 years when everyone tries to sell them at the same time to fund their retirement.

To decide what title you want you can play the games on Pinball Arcade on most popular gaming platforms, read reviews on http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl and watch youtube gameplay. Also go to meets and take note of what you enjoyed playing, you just missed out on a meet at Devonport that had a great collection of pins to play. We don't have many meets in Tas but when we do they are usually advertised on our FB group. If you are serious about collecting then check out the meets section on AA and go to some mainland or NZ meets. Plenty of pinball arcades with great titles in Melbourne to visit also, paying $200 to go to Melb to play pinball is cheap compared to buying a pin.

Then there is the whole other subject of how you evaluate condition, this is something you will need to research or you will potentially be disappointed with your purchase.

Take your time and enjoy the chase.......I just purchased another pin last week and was hoping to have it here this weekend but the soundcard failed on his final test before shipping so now I'm waiting for that to be repaired and I'm not sure when my game will turn up. The patience required in this hobby is huge, I waited 7 years to get my Asteroids multiboard.

great post thanks

I'm not just limiting to tas but didn't know if there was a way of checking if someone else had a pinball that I'm after just to have a look and to compare

many thanks for your help

Hey Rat just wondering if you can give some advise on who you have used to ship pins to Tas, looking to get one from melbourne to launceston

I have used e-go shipping a few times in the past https://www.e-go.com.au/ they are the cheapest but as with everything you get what you pay for and they skimp on service. They don't have a phone contact number at all so if you have a question you have to email them, they do answer quickly though.

Their insurance is cheap also but has so many loopholes that I expect it would be impossible to make a claim, I paid for insurance anyway. From Melb to Tas depot to depot should be about $300 if you get the pallet and packing right, make sure the pallet is not bigger than it needs to be as that can easily cost $100 more for nothing.

I have noticed that @Pinmem offers a good price for shipping their pins door to door Vic to Hobart for $350 it would be great if Oscar would share his knowledge and carrier he uses for shipping to Tas. Do you pack them flat on their base? or have them sitting up on their back to save space to get that price for shipping?

I have just bought a pinball from another seller who also advertises on this forum and his shipping is dearer costing me $600 from Brisbane to Launceston using Northline who then pass it onto TasFreight, they picked it up from him and I will pick it up from the depot in Launceston, hopefully tomorrow :D If I had of chosen to have it delivered to my door it would have added at least another $100 making it $700 door to door. (I have never paid more than $500 previously and that was for an Astro cab that came from Sydney and had to be picked up from the seller.)

This seller prefers Northline as he has had good experience with them and trusts their insurance etc which is a valid consideration. The pinball has been placed flat on it's bottom on a custom sized pallet, see pic below.

http://i.imgur.com/t5j4iSJh.jpg

Wrapping and strapping is critical, hopefully your seller has done this before, but if not make sure they do a good job of protecting it from knocks and scrapes. I wrap in bubble wrap and then cardboard over that (I'm a cyclist so I use old bike boxes from my local bike shop) and then a few wraps of a roll of shrink wrap to hold it all together and hold it to the pallet with a couple of good tie down ratchet straps from Bunnings. Ratchet down then give it a rock back and forth and retention, use extra cardboard under the straps. Research other threads on packing if you need to as there are other tips to know such as removing the balls, protecting the glass from the backbox, tie down any toys that might move and wrap and strap the legs and bolts and protect the power cord etc etc.

I have placed one I shipped on it's back like this to save space and shipping cost, I don't know how common that is? but it worked out well for me and arrived undamaged. That's the legs sticking out of the top, I wrapped it on it's legs for easy access and them removed them when putting it on the pallet.

http://i.imgur.com/uKZprskh.jpg

Thanks Rat, yep looked at ego and used before, but wasn't sure how they go with pinballs, you answered my question on standing it up to fit on normal pallet as i wasn't sure if this was ok, I'm guessing the one on its end at road runners may have been an e-go job, really appreciate your great responses and pics really help

No worries :)

Yep the one standing up on it's end went with e-go, I would be interested to know how many others ship like this, or if people think it's too risky.

likewise

Have you sent many pins upright without issue Doug?

all of them.. never shipped a flat one.

the key is the chain it down. pallet wrap wont cut it.. strapping / banding or if you're on a one way cheap trip then cheap bunnings rope. tie it down so the forkie cant flip it off doing 90 round a corner